English - Aussie Translation Dictionary

Started by parklane, March 01, 2005, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "hotrodmatt"
Quote from: "Brootal"THONG = Choco's favourite footwear, usually purchased from Truckstop 31, Marulan as it's the last true place where you can 'double-pluggers' for $6. :)

I thought they were called "go-aheads" cause you can't go backwards in them...

These yanks will think you are talking underwear.

That's a horrid thought, Choco in THREE thongs!!! :shock:  :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

Quote from: "bcal"
Quote from: "Carps"And here's a little snippet of information for ya.  It's widely agreed by linguists arouund the globe, that the American version is much more pure and closer to the original English language than what the Poms currently use.
You've been watching SBS  :?:

Occasionally, and I also read a lot.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Mr Cool"Yeah our language can fill a book.

As my kid would say..."DERRERR!

The book is called a dictionary.   :wink:

And here's a little snippet of information for ya.  It's widely agreed by linguists arouund the globe, that the American version is much more pure and closer to the original English language than what the Poms currently use.
I was referring to our unique slang rather than the original english language, thats why I used the word "our" meaning Australian. Stop twisting my words will ya Carps.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Pep

See Ya
Pep

Mr34

Quote from: "Pep"This is the best site for a translation.

http://www.wilson.com.au/diction.html

hehehe man im even learnin' stuff from that site.... 8)

Anonymous

Na, the one Old32 put  up was better as it had a photo of MrCarps.
( Big Kuddly Koala ).

32coupe

Quote from: "Pep"This is the best site for a translation.

http://www.wilson.com.au/diction.html

I tried to go to that site at work and got a message from the administrator that said that this site was blocked due to it being "Gross, Tasteless and containing Nudity".

If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

parklane

All right ! Now we're beginning to understand y'all. Still can't find the meaning of fluoxed, in an earlier post. :?  8)
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Mr Cool"Snip . . .And here's a little snippet of information for ya.  It's widely agreed by linguists arouund the globe, that the American version is much more pure and closer to the original English language than what the Poms currently use.

This is interesting Carps.  
The 'English' really is a very complex language, because it has adopted so many bits and pieces, including 'rules', from other languages.  This is partly to do with their colonising history.  It really is a mongrel language.

The Americans made tremendous progress towards 'normalising' their version of 'English'.  This reform has not been purely phonetic, much of the rationalisation actually undoes some of these mongrelised 'rules'.

Getting back to the slang; it always seems a bit odd to see it written; almost forced.  In verbal convesration it seems to be more 'natural'.  When I write, I usually do not use much slang.  In fact, I believe it is poor communication (and, dare I say, rude) to deliberately write in a way that you know your audience will not understand, or may find offensive, unless you can convey your true meaning in some way. :wink:

klassik

Quote from: "parklane"All right ! Now we're beginning to understand y'all. Still can't find the meaning of fluoxed, in an earlier post. :?  8)
John

Fluoxed?  do you mean Flumoxed?
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

EMSjunkie

Fluoxed?  do you mean Flumoxed?[/quote]

I'm not sure, but I think a few days in ICU would be good for it :shock:
sounds painful :(

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

parklane

Ya! Flumoxed!!, that's the one. Never was that good at learnin in skuul! :oops:   :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Poida

Quote from: "pope down under"When I write, I usually do not use much slang. In fact, I believe it is poor communication (and, dare I say, rude) to deliberately write in a way that you know your audience will not understand, or may find offensive, unless you can convey your true meaning in some way.
A good point, and one I have been guilty of. I think we should restrict or ocker banalities to the Aussies only areas, or we'll risk making the audience regret that we have been invited here.

p
"It's Not Unusual."
Peter Crain
www.hotrodfeatures.com

klassik

Quote from: "parklane"Ya! Flumoxed!!, that's the one. Never was that good at learnin in skuul! :oops:   :D

Well it isnt a word I use much but I reckon it means confused or lost for words.

Craig
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

bcal

Quote from: "bcal"
Quote from: "Carps"And here's a little snippet of information for ya.  It's widely agreed by linguists arouund the globe, that the American version is much more pure and closer to the original English language than what the Poms currently use.
You've been watching SBS  :?:

Occasionally, and I also read a lot.
I was refering to the recent series on the history of the english language.
In it they made the same point you did.

In fact I was quite surprised at the contribution that America has made to our language. Much more than first thought.
For those that rue the Americanisms that are currently creeping in to Austlish, we lost that battle long ago because we already use with far more American english than ever imagined.
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.