What I have been up to.

Started by enjenjo, January 23, 2009, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

the last couple weeks I have been working on a 37 Ford pickup with a ford 5.0 engine. the water pump was too close to the radiator to run a fan, and could not easily be moved back. so I installed a short water pump, and timing cover from Ford Motorsports. this solved the radiator problem, but the alternator and power steering pump set out to far to clear the hood with the stock brackets. So I picked up some pulleys at the salvage yard, and went to work. I mounted the alternator so it would clear everything, the made a spacer for the water pump, and crank pulleys to line them up with the alternator. The spacers pilot tightly on their mounts, and the pulleys pilot on the spacers so they will run concentric. I then mounted the power steering pump so it lined up with the rest. After getting the brackets powder coated, and mounting everything, I threw a belt on it and took a picture. I am not happy with the belt routing, I want more contact on the water pump pulley, but I need a longer belt to do it. the belt is adjusted at the alternator.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Frank: Is that a reverse rotation water pump?

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"Frank: Is that a reverse rotation water pump?

Yes. Thought you had me didn't you :D

Crosley.In.AZ

yur correct, the w-p needs a bit more belt contact
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

if you reverse the bracket that the alternator bolts to can you rotate it closer to the thermostat housing?

that would give you more wrap and possibly a shorter belt.

hard to tell if you have room for that in the pic

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

wayne petty

hmm might this work..

a really long streach across the top span...

and then you look the half rap on the ps pump..

maybe room to put a tensioner there or an idler..     that would put the top span in a v so it would wrap the ps pulley a bit more..

or even a double idler... one on each side.. keeps the long span low... keeps the pulleys under wraps..

just a thought from afar...

tomslik

naw, you've got plenty of wrap on the w/p.
you should see some of the oem apps. :shock:
water pumps don't take that much  to turn 'em i guess....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

I agree with Tomslik, you have enough contact on the w/p. It also has upward pressure fron the alt and p/s pump holding it on. I'd be more worried about the crank pully, any strecthing of the belt and it could drop away from the pully and the whole thing stops turning.

kb426

I have the same pump setup on my 32 with the factory Explorer alternator mount. I don't really like it but I didn't have any real good ideas at the time to do something different.
TEAM SMART

butch27

Frank: I bought that water pump for my car with a '78 Ford engine and they didn't tell me it was reverse rotation!! I'm screwed. OR do they have a regular one?

enjenjo

Quote from: "wayne petty"hmm might this work..

a really long streach across the top span...

and then you look the half rap on the ps pump..

maybe room to put a tensioner there or an idler..     that would put the top span in a v so it would wrap the ps pulley a bit more..

or even a double idler... one on each side.. keeps the long span low... keeps the pulleys under wraps..

just a thought from afar...

That is the configuration I am going to try. I will give me more than 190 degrees on all pulleys.

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"Frank: I bought that water pump for my car with a '78 Ford engine and they didn't tell me it was reverse rotation!! I'm screwed. OR do they have a regular one?

I can't tell you for sure if they make a forward rotation pump. I do know the bolt pattern is different than the regular pump setup, and they can't be interchanged.

butch27

kb426

the short pump only comes in reverse rotation. It only fits one front cover also. The older style has lots of variables such as outlet locations.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

Quote from: "butch27"well mine fit right on.??

butch.. 78 motors should not have a reverse waterpump and timing cover..

those came with V belts..    the reverse rotation pumps had a micro grove belt but the water pump pulley was wide and flat where the back of the belt contacted it...    

if it came with micro grooves on the water pump pulley it is still a conventional direction water pump...  

can you get the casting number off the water pump... someone  will be able to cross reference the water pump casting number to a new number then look that up in the buyer guide or applications to see what that fits...

if you want a reverse water pump... or a regular rotation pump.. the timing cover just needs to be changed along with the pulleys and brackets... the blocks are the same as far were the water pump mounts...