I would like your opinion on Tire/wheel combo

Started by msuguydon, January 16, 2009, 11:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

I asked Big Mike... 4T6FRD to photo shop the Tuna Boat... with some wide whites and with some Chimp Foose Wheels...

Boy they sure change the look... I kinda like the WWW.. but think I might need some other color of rim... I think the white gets lost in the white of the car...

Throw out your 2 cents... * and opinions.. everyone has one

and for the record.. the pictures where taken TODAY... notice the green and palm trees... suckers.. in -19 degree weather....
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

river1

you need to throw up a pic of the car as it sits now so we can compare.

that said i don't like either :?

the white of the car washes out the white walls and foose wheels IMHO don't look good on that era car. i don't really like foose wheels on most era cars but that is just me :roll:

weather looks nice there, what are the temps? it got to 78 here in az :D  :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat rat

I can see running the WWW but NOT the Foose wheels
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

Unfortunately I've got a certain mindset about those big wheels and short sidewall tires. '58s Chevys were in the middle of a change in style for GM and to make them lower they went to 14" wheels. The smaller wheels were not coupled with tires with a shorter sidewall. The sidewalls were still substantial for ride quality. You take away that sponginess the "Tuna Boat" might ride like a truck because your suspension is not tuned to those tires. All the cars that Chip Foose does seem to be frame off jobs and they all seem to get suspension up-grades. As far as style (which I have none of) either option pictured seems to datract from the look of the body. That white on the body sides captures your eye and the wheels don't need to look like they are fighting for your attention. GPster

phat46

Not a fan of either pic. With the capped off dumps behind the front wheel it looks like a hot rod. I always like chrome reverse wheels, NOT the smoothie style, plain wheels with all the lumps and bumps, with blackwalls. Take a look at the American Graffitti '58...

msuguydon

Here is what the Tuna Boat looks like as it sits today.  I agree I do not like the Foose wheels at all, but it is very interesting to see how much of an impact a tire/rim change makes to the appearance of a car.

I am 50/50 on the WW's.  I agree with some previous comments that I think the WW wash out with the chrome rims and white on the car.  I wonder if I went to a solid color rim with the bullet hubs, if that would give the WW some needed contrast.

jaybee

"and for the record.. the pictures where taken TODAY... notice the green and palm trees... suckers.. in -19 degree weather...."

I hate you for that but I managed to thaw my fingers out enough to type a reply anyway.   :D   I don't mind the wheels and am coming to like tires with less sidewall, though not the ultra low 35 aspect ratio rubber bands.  IMO you can pull it off but I'd like to see a little more rake in the car than you have with the www's.  Maybe an inch bigger wheel in the rear than the front would help, too.  What size are you thinking of running?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

White walls, black wheels, and Blue Ribbon Beer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Quote from: "jaybee""and for the record.. the pictures where taken TODAY... notice the green and palm trees... suckers.. in -19 degree weather...."

I hate you for that but I managed to thaw my fingers out enough to type a reply anyway.   :D   I don't mind the wheels and am coming to like tires with less sidewall, though not the ultra low 35 aspect ratio rubber bands.  IMO you can pull it off but I'd like to see a little more rake in the car than you have with the www's.  Maybe an inch bigger wheel in the rear than the front would help, too.  What size are you thinking of running?

Please explain "rake" to me.  I know it means how the car sits.. high to low, front to back.. are you suggesting the front should be taller, or rear should be taller?  As the car sits today, its much lower in the front than rear.   I have 15" tires on the car today.. really have not but any thought into what size rim/tire.

msuguydon

Quote from: "enjenjo"White walls, black wheels, and Blue Ribbon Beer.

That is a slogan I can live by!

purplepickup

I don't see much wrong with the way it is now except for maybe a bigger tire on the back.  It seems to set a little too low in the back for my liking.

For what it's worth I don't care for either of the photoshopped looks...especially the second one.
George

Grandadeo

As far as the first two pictures go, depends if you want to get into Billetproof or not.

Since I can't figure out the picture thing, below are a couple links to more period correct - sortof - wheels.  Maybe with a thin whitewall that won't get lost in the white body color.

Lee

https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/images/inventory/new/FW_1334_500.gif

https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/images/inventory/new/FW_1017_500.gif
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

msuguydon

Quote from: "Grandadeo"As far as the first two pictures go, depends if you want to get into Billetproof or not.

Since I can't figure out the picture thing, below are a couple links to more period correct - sortof - wheels.  Maybe with a thin whitewall that won't get lost in the white body color.

Lee

https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/images/inventory/new/FW_1334_500.gif

https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/images/inventory/new/FW_1017_500.gif

Well with no intention of starting a feud, I would never do or not do something to my car because I did not want to be excluded from a particular car show.  It's taken some time for it to sink into my thick skull but I do things that make me Happy.. I have the only opinion that matters.  

Let me give you a hand on that picture thing...

Grandadeo

Couldn't agree with you more that you should do your car the way YOU want it.  I just feel I need to point out things like Billetproof rules or the NSRA Pre-49 cut off to people based on past experience.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

chimp koose

why not try to photoshop the car with RED rims to match the paint,beauty rings and baby moons.Then you might try a narrow WW to not wash out the white on the car.My $.02