I would like your opinion on Tire/wheel combo

Started by msuguydon, January 16, 2009, 11:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Photo # 1 makes the car look "old"  IMHO.... ( My first thought was a '52 Chevy or other "period" daily driver from "The Day") ..

Photo # 2  :?:  Thanks .....I just lost my dinner..... :shock:

Like was suggested...Try a 1" whitewall with your chrome wheels or a painted (RAYED) wheel with trim rings & small caps.... :idea:

To me..A rake (even slight) looks out of place on a 4-door...They are meant to be "cruisers" ..Not "Racers" ...Keep it level.. 8)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Grandadeo

I Like It!  Especially if you already have the wheels.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Carnut

Quote from: "msuguydon"How about this ???

That last narrow wall pic would be my choice.

msuguydon

Quote from: "Carnut"
Quote from: "msuguydon"How about this ???

That last narrow wall pic would be my choice.

I have the wheels... the suggestion is too remove the shannon cones I have I have, replace with a  smoothy center cover, some chrome bullet lugnuts, and some of the center chrome bullet centers from Rally America, and some off the shelf narrow white stripes

UGLY OLDS

How about this ???

You learn well grasshopper ...That combo make the car look "period correct" IMHO.  8)   NOW you're getting somewhere..... :D

Bob...... :wink:

purplepickup

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"That combo make the car look "period correct" IMHO.  8)  

Bob, what period would that be correct for?  I'm sure '58 chevys came new with wide whites.  I didn't start driving until '64 when narrow whites were taking hold and one of the first things we did was throw on some cheap chrome wheels or baby moons and turn the whitewalls around backwards so our cars didn't look like our dad's.  But I grew up on a southern michigan farm so maybe we weren't in tune with the trends.

Not criticizing....just curious.  The terms we use nowadays confuse me sometimes. :wink:
George

39deluxe

Me too. The narrow whites look nice on a '58.

Tom

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"That combo make the car look "period correct" IMHO.  8)  

Bob, what period would that be correct for?  I'm sure '58 chevys came new with wide whites.  I didn't start driving until '64 when narrow whites were taking hold and one of the first things we did was throw on some cheap chrome wheels or baby moons and turn the whitewalls around backwards so our cars didn't look like our dad's.  But I grew up on a southern michigan farm so maybe we weren't in tune with the trends.

Not criticizing....just curious.  The terms we use nowadays confuse me sometimes. :wink:

In our area it was from the mid '60s through the mid '70s....Gotta remember George...That's a "cruiser" ...not a "racer" ...2 door sedan..Possibly 2-dr hardtop..HAD to have blackwalls & wheels for the "racer" look.. If you set up a 4 door with blackwalls & wheels in our area ,you had to have the uhhh...ABILITY to back-up the "look" ...One of the most "profitable" street runners I ever had was a '63 Ford Galaxie 4-door sedan..White walls --Big hubcaps ..427 with 2-4's ...People finally caught on to that ..I pulled the engine / trans & installed it in a '63 Ford County Sedan wagon..wood sides & all...Started making $$ all over again... 8)

Bob..... :wink:

purplepickup

Yeah Bob, I guess I do remember some of the city guys had some pretty quick cars disquised as cruisers.

Dad always had Pontiacs back then (with whitewalls) and when he'd let me take it I'd have to at least pop the hubcaps to be a little cool.  Ahh to be able to go back to those days once in a while.  Cars...girls....and being a little full of ourselves.   Life was good. 8)
George

msuguydon

Just for grins... I looked at the American Graffiti car, yes I know.. it was a 2 door impala.. but check out the tire choice.. black walls, chrome wheels.. no hub caps.. interesting...

phat rat

My memory says skinny whites didn't show up until 63/64 on the new cars. So older cars were after that
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carnut

Think skinny whites showed up in 62.

Also think most 58 models probably got skinny whites on the first or second set of replacement tires.

Yes chrome wheels with blackwalls really is more correct to me but didn't see that choice offered in the pics.

Heh, heh, I still drive my 67 Model and am still full of myself when doing it.

Topsterguy

Personally, I've always had a thing for two types of wheels......only!  Painetd solids on hot rods and American 5 spokes on anything above '49. DON'T like Foose style wheels at all.......on anything! :lol:   My opinion, as humble as it is, would be for the traditional grey 5 spokes with the polished outers and blackwalls with good sidewalls.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

rumrumm

FWIW, either of the whitewall tires would be a good choice with the wheels you have now. I think the addition of baby moons would accentuate the style of your car. The Foose wheels clash with the stock look of the car and suggest you are turning it into a pimp-mobile.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com