Chevy starter problems

Started by 47convert, November 29, 2008, 05:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Jack, the new Chevy starters  are metric, 10mm bolts instead of 3/8". The newer starters are drilled for the metric bolts. GM has been using metric starters for over 10 years now.  

Many rebuilt starters have been drilled out to the 10mm size, for whatever reason. Now Mike can go get another starter, which will cost him more, or modify some bolts to use the parts he has. I know what I would do.

Frank, the starter I measured has the same Delco part # stamped on it as the one on my 02 8.1.  Have they been using both metric and standard during the last 10 years?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Jack, the new Chevy starters  are metric, 10mm bolts instead of 3/8". The newer starters are drilled for the metric bolts. GM has been using metric starters for over 10 years now.  

Many rebuilt starters have been drilled out to the 10mm size, for whatever reason. Now Mike can go get another starter, which will cost him more, or modify some bolts to use the parts he has. I know what I would do.

Frank, the starter I measured has the same Delco part # stamped on it as the one on my 02 8.1.  Have they been using both metric and standard during the last 10 years?

I don't know about all Chevys, but I had a 97 block here last year that was drilled  and tapped metric for the starter. Original application was Cadillac.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.