Slant Six?

Started by purplepickup, June 18, 2004, 11:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've been playing with the idea of adding a low buck roadster of some sort to my list of future projects...maybe a pickup made out of the many extra '31 Chevy parts I've got .  Something other than a V8 sounds good too.  A guy at work has a '76 Aspen with a 225 slant 6, 2bbl, and a 904 transmission that runs good.  It was his grandmother's and it only has around 60,000 miles on it.  He's talking about selling it for around $500 and it got me thinking about using the engine and tranny.  If I did get it, I wouldn't want to do much performance stuff to it...basically just clean it up, maybe rebuild it, and run it.  I don't know much about them but I hear they're pretty dependable and I like the idea of having something different.  It looks like parts are still available for the engine anyway.  

Anybody have any opinions or comments.....good or bad?
George

Phat

George if you build something with a slant six...its gonna be around for a long time.  They ran forever.  We turbo charged one and it 8)  ran pretty * good in a dart. Pretty neat engine and if you were blind you could tell what it was when started.  As you can tell i am a huge fan of inline motors and i really do like that one.  Of coarse if you wanted to keep it all GM a inline GMC 302 can be built up to about 347 cubic in and live.  I run a 235 everday of the week and if sitting someplace next to 5 trucks that look the same...the inline motor always gets the looks.  Go for it.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

MrMopar64

Go for it....... I've got one in my 64 for the same reason everyone has a v8

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

WZ JUNK

go to http://slantsix.org/forum/index.php

I guess you know that is the motor that I run it the drag car.

Send me an email as I want to send you a picture of the Bonneville car and the Leaning tower of power Dart.  I have had some problems emailing you.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I guess you know that is the motor that I run it the drag car.

Send me an email as I want to send you a picture of the Bonneville car and the Leaning tower of power Dart.  

I knew you run a slant 6 in your drag car and I'd hoped to hear from you.  I shot you an email.

I just talked to the guy with the Aspen and he has kind of committed to selling it to another guy, thru a friend of his, for less than he was asking.  That guy wants to race it.  It's a '79 not a '76.  I told him I was interested and to let me know if it's still available.  He's a hard core Mopar guy and really likes the idea of a mopar engine in a Chevy. :shock:

I told a couple of guys at work what I was thinking and they think I'm nuts.  That makes me even more determined. :twisted:  

One fear I have is that someday I'll wake up NORMAL.  :shock:     Like I told one of the "matching numbers" kind of guys that doubts my judgement, "It's one of those things that if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway."
George

SKR8PN

George,if you do put the deal together for that slanty,don't worry about rebuilding it. With only 60,000 on the clock,it's just barely broken in :lol:
The only problem you may encounter,is the slanty is wide in an odd sort of way. Might be tight getting hood sides on.........
Other than that,GO FOR IT!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

58 Yeoman

Before I got divorced, I had a neighbor that had one of the Dusters with a slant six in it, that he used every day to drive to Joliet on I 80. He had over 325,000 on it and it still ran good and looked good. Then he gave it to his kid....didn't last long after that.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've been playing with the idea of adding a low buck roadster of some sort to my list of future projects...maybe a pickup made out of the many extra '31 Chevy parts I've got .  Something other than a V8 sounds good too.  A guy at work has a '76 Aspen with a 225 slant 6, 2bbl, and a 904 transmission that runs good.  It was his grandmother's and it only has around 60,000 miles on it.  He's talking about selling it for around $500 and it got me thinking about using the engine and tranny.  If I did get it, I wouldn't want to do much performance stuff to it...basically just clean it up, maybe rebuild it, and run it.  I don't know much about them but I hear they're pretty dependable and I like the idea of having something different.  It looks like parts are still available for the engine anyway.  

Anybody have any opinions or comments.....good or bad?

oooohhhh, just wait'll you get here next weekend!
have i got a deal for you!
ain't no sbc, either...

how much weight can your trailer handle  ;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

moparrodder

Quote from:  I hear they're pretty dependable and I like the idea of having something different.  

Anybody have any opinions or comments.....good or bad?[/quote
Yup George, they're dependable!!  My ex-brother-in law had one in a Valiant that he put a 4 barrel on and it ran like scat!!  He put on over 300,000 miles on it before he sold it with no problems, and yes parts are still available anywhere.  I found a 66 Dart GT that I'm giving to our youngest son for his first restoration and it has a slant six too.  The slanty was stuck but I filled the cylinders with iodine and it was free in a week and also has the 904 auto behind it so it should be a good cruzer for him.  I'd say GO for it even if ya don't get that particular one,  you will be suprised how it will perform and there are a lot of performance patrs for them too.   Dare to be different!!!    Bill

parklane

Bill
   You put iodine in an engine to free it up?? I've used diesel fuel, but never heard of the iodine trick.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

purplepickup

Quote from: "PeterR"These motors much larger than they first appear, so do some careful measuring being going too far.

They also came out as a marine version with the engine laying over so the cylinders were horizontal and the whole engine could fit under the floor.

Thanks Peter, a friend here told me that too.  And he said the location of the distributor might be a problem on narrow frame rails too.  As far as width goes, I don't plan to run hood side panels so it could stick out a little.  I believe an engine should be seen.  I never heard about the marine version.  That would be different. :-o

I have a feeling the other guy will buy it over the weekend, especially if he knows someone else is interested.  It does run good and the owner is fussy about changing the oil and maintaining it.

Quote from: "tomslik"oooohhhh, just wait'll you get here next weekend!
ain't no sbc, either...

Tom, it sounds like you're still trying to get rid of that 4.3. :wink:
George

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "PeterR"These motors much larger than they first appear, so do some careful measuring being going too far.

They also came out as a marine version with the engine laying over so the cylinders were horizontal and the whole engine could fit under the floor.

Thanks Peter, a friend here told me that too.  And he said the location of the distributor might be a problem on narrow frame rails too.  As far as width goes, I don't plan to run hood side panels so it could stick out a little.  I believe an engine should be seen.  I never heard about the marine version.  That would be different. :-o

I have a feeling the other guy will buy it over the weekend, especially if he knows someone else is interested.  It does run good and the owner is fussy about changing the oil and maintaining it.

Quote from: "tomslik"oooohhhh, just wait'll you get here next weekend!
ain't no sbc, either...

Tom, it sounds like you're still trying to get rid of that 4.3. :wink:

nope, even something better!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

moparrodder

Quote from: "parklane"Bill
   You put iodine in an engine to free it up?? I've used diesel fuel, but never heard of the iodine trick.

John
John, Yup it works, we used it a lot on the ole Farmal F-20 and F-30 tractors,as they seem to stick a lot if ya didn't use them often.   I know it sound a little different but it does work.  Bill

unklian

If I had a Slant 6 for a hot rod roadster,
I'd be real tempted to make a new intake manifold,
and stand the motor up straight. :shock:

It would confuse EVERYONE.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"Tom, it sounds like you're still trying to get rid of that 4.3. :wink:

I still have bare aluminum heads & intake for a 4.3

mayb I need to ebay this stuff?

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)