Slant Six?

Started by purplepickup, June 18, 2004, 11:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon g

George,
I've always liked the sound of those inline sixes! That would be sooo neat.
And yes, engines are meant to be seen so no hood side panels.
Never had experience with that engine but always heard good things about them..........good luck with the deal!!
Jon G

Bib_Overalls

What is wrong with a Chevy in line six?  Or a Chevy II/Mercruiser four banger.  My bias is showing.  Never mind.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

river1

i know tex smith used a slant six in his XR6.

did he use one in the dollar a pound rod? if he did he got the hood sides on it.

the one in the XR6 had three carbs (webers?) so it prolly moved out pretty good.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Tom, it sounds like you're still trying to get rid of that 4.3. :wink:

I still have bare aluminum heads & intake for a 4.3

mayb I need to ebay this stuff?

:shock:

geez, if you B waitin' fo me,don't.
i just don't have the coin right now, trying to get some bills paid off...

btw, i've got 2  4.3's ...
purp, i've got a nice little chevy 194/glide package if you're interested, hate to see ya use a mope ;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Stakebed

The only problem I recall with slant six engines was with the distributors.
With it laying over we would ocasionally find one with worn bushings in the dist, causing erratic firing. Easy fix with a used or rebuilt distributor. Other than that I don't recall ever doing much more than a valve cover gasket,water or fuel pump on one in 15 years working in a service station shop. seemed to be a very reliable engine.

model a vette

"I still have bare aluminum heads & intake for a 4.3
maybe I need to ebay this stuff?"

Crosley- Are those for a 4.3 Chevy V6? What's the story on them & what would you need to get for them?
Ed

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

geez, if you B waitin' fo me,don't.
i just don't have the coin right now, trying to get some bills paid off...

========= tom ,  not waitin on you.  8)  

Not sure if you folks here have EVER heard of this pattern of buy & sell.........  I tend to buy stuff I am sure I need and is hopefully a good deal.

After I sit on it for several years I blow the stuff out for a lot less than I paid
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "model a vette""I still have bare aluminum heads & intake for a 4.3
maybe I need to ebay this stuff?"

Crosley- Are those for a 4.3 Chevy V6? What's the story on them & what would you need to get for them?

======== yep , 4.3 V-6 stuff.  These are an early set of aluminum heads for the 4.3 engine. Not the later exotic aluminum stuff GM produced for the 4.3  The heads are raw machined as they come from GM, no valves

Forged pistons, HD valve springs, guide plates, short & tall valve covers, intake is a GM unit.

Not sure what I will do this stuff and the 4.3 engine I have. If you are going to build a V-6 of the 4.3 size, you may as well build a small block  chevy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "river1"i know tex smith used a slant six in his XR6.

did he use one in the dollar a pound rod? if he did he got the hood sides on it.

the one in the XR6 had three carbs (webers?) so it prolly moved out pretty good.

later jim

The XR6 has a slant six in it. The Dollar a Pound roadster has a Pontiac OHC six in it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Crosley wrote:

QuoteNot sure if you folks here have EVER heard of this pattern of buy & sell......... I tend to buy stuff I am sure I need and is hopefully a good deal.

After I sit on it for several years I blow the stuff out for a lot less than I paid

Tony...I have a similar buying plan.  I buy something that is rare and hard to get, then later they come crawling out of the woodwork at a lot less than I paid.   Or, I paid $300 to have both rear fenders for the Poncho straightened out (so-so job), then find a pair of NOS for just over $400. I'll put the repaired ones on ebay to try and recoup SOME of my money. :(
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

parklane

Quote from: "moparrodder"
Quote from: "parklane"Bill
   You put iodine in an engine to free it up?? I've used diesel fuel, but never heard of the iodine trick.

John
John, Yup it works, we used it a lot on the ole Farmal F-20 and F-30 tractors,as they seem to stick a lot if ya didn't use them often.   I know it sound a little different but it does work.  Bill

Bill, where do you buy iodine in that quantity? Never had a F-20 or F-30, but we did have a Farmall super M in the mid 50's Now I'm starting to show my age
John  8)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??