69 Mach 1

Started by enjenjo, October 08, 2008, 09:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Frank, what made you decide to take the whole front clip off like that?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"Frank, what made you decide to take the whole front clip off like that?

Outside of the core support, it is all new parts. Reproduction, but new. Since I was replacing all of it, plus full floor pans, both torque boxes, and the front extensions, it was easier to assemble it seperately with a jig, and reinstall it as one piece. It went back on today, back in the jig at least. The only place it touches the original body right now is at the firewall, the rest is no longer there. At this point, I will install the frame eztensions, and torque boxes, when when that's done, make the new floor fit it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I guess if it's all new but the core support you had it all out of the car anyway!  :)  That makes sense, you might as well get it all straight as a subassembly in the jig before you hang it back on the unibody.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Got some more done. I started welding the clip on today, got most of one side done, part of the other side done. I'll finish that up tomorrow, and start on the torque boxes.

enjenjo

Well, the torque boxes were a bear to install. the left one fit bad, and the right one was even worse. What I have found out was these are 67,68 parts that"will fit" 69 and 70, with "some modification". :roll:  It may have been easier to make them from scratch. It took about 3 hours to make the left one fit, and most of a day on the right one. I am including some pictures of the left one as It was when I started.

kb426

I was about to ask where you got the parts as I read your post. After seeing what happened, I don't need to ask that question. It's obvious to anyone who's done this kind of stuff before that it takes patience and knowledge. I hope you still get the feeling of satisfaction when you finish a job.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I was about to ask where you got the parts as I read your post. After seeing what happened, I don't need to ask that question. It's obvious to anyone who's done this kind of stuff before that it takes patience and knowledge. I hope you still get the feeling of satisfaction when you finish a job.

The parts came from National Parts Depot. I have a buddy who is doing his Mustang, got the parts from Roush, and they are the same parts.

Yes, I still get the satisfaction, but If I was doing my own car, I would probably make my own parts.

Crosley.In.AZ

I think we have all used some reproduced  panels  that do not fit for crap!

I had some bumper trim plastic ends for a Toyota truck I repaired... the new part was 1.5 inches shorter than the old damaged part.  I showed the parts guy and all he said was :" want a refund?"

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Well, the floor pans are all in. Left fit pretty good, right, not so good. I'm getting ready to turn the body on it's side to weld under the car. There are a couple pictures of my tilting rig here.

enjenjo

Well since my wife is home, and in recovery mode, I did get some work done on the Mustang. I rolled the body over on the left side, using the jig we built to hold it, and weld a bunch of stuff into place from the bottom. The owner wanted all the seams welded tight on the bottom, so I am doing that. nearly done with the right side, still have to install the new rear frame section. Also welded the left floor pan, and seat support to the rocker box.

tonto1

Frank,
You are doing some really nice work there,
Wish I had your skills, but I also know you have worked hard to develop them.
'69 Mustang and '70 Mustang Fastbacks have always been my favorite Mustangs.
Keep it coming.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good Frank.

this must indicate that Cheryl is doing well.

);b(
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"looks good Frank.

this must indicate that Cheryl is doing well.

);b(

She is. I am happy about that of course. She is doing her exercises well, walked for 11 minutes today.

Now I am getting a bit ragged from doing all the housework, and the shop work too. But I'll manage. :lol:

nzsimon

Thanks great post
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

Well, it's done. I finished it up this afternoon. Now it goes to a body shop to have new quarters installed.