Fill a drilled hole in a poly gas tank

Started by Okiedokie, September 26, 2008, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Well, I hate to admit this mistake, but not as much as I hate to buy another tank. The original tank in my F100 developed a leak so I bought a Tanks unit. A friend with the same vehicle recently ran over something in the road and punctured his tank so I thought a "skid" plate was in order for mine. While installing it I managed to drill into the tank. Anyone have any tips regarding a repair? Thanks.

papastoyss

If you can reach the hole thru the fuel sender you might fish a bolt thru the hole & use a gasket & cap nut on the bottom.  Then again you might be SOL
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

crdnblu

I would suggest that before you do anything, that you contact TANKS.  I would guess that you're not the first to have this problem.  I'm quite sure that they will give you the best, safest way to plug the hole.

enjenjo

I know you can plastic weld bumpers, so I am sure someone has come up with a process for plastic tanks, as many as there are today. How big is the hole?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Tanks is not open on Friday, if I don't discover a proceedure this weekend I will call them. The hole is 1/4".

phat46

I suppose you could hillbilly it and screw a BIG screw with some silicone on it into the hole.......or wait and fix it right. :lol:  :lol:

Okiedokie

Big screw with silicone, I was tempted.

348tripower

We make fuel tank fittings here where I work. We do have a grommet that you can put in the hole and push a steel plug into that will seal it. I can fish around for one and send it to you if that would fix the problem. You have to open the hole up a bit larger tha 1/2 inch.
Don
Don Colliau

GPster

You could put a fitting in it and a companion fitting on the tup of the tank and connect the two fittings with clear plastic hose and give yourself a sightglass to check fuel level. GPster                                                     P.S. I won't mention the other idea.

Okiedokie

"We make fuel tank fittings here where I work. We do have a grommet that you can put in the hole and push a steel plug into that will seal it. I can fish around for one and send it to you if that would fix the problem. You have to open the hole up a bit larger tha 1/2 inch.
Don"

Thanks Don, I may take you up on that.

GPster, you have my curosity up, what's the second one?

GPster

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"GPster, you have my curosity up, what's the second one?_________________
Actually this was the first idea. Make a new filler neck and mount the tank up-side down. That would put the hole on the top and it would vent the tank so you can fill it with a bottom fill. I read this site probably every hour when I'm home. Keeps me from getting disgusted with the progress I'm making. GPster

Okiedokie

He he, would make the leak less objectionable.

Flipper

Has the tank already had gas in it? If yes, a mechanical patch is going to be your only fix.

If no, High Density Poly Ethelene (what OEM plastic gas tanks are made of is weldable.  That is how the fuel inlet spuds and vent valves are attached.

The process they use is hot plate welding.  You will need another piece of HDPE to cover up the hole. Hot plate welding works like this:  both surfaces (tank and patch piece) are simultaneously melted with a heating element, the heating source is removed and the two pieces are shoved together and held tightly for a few seconds to allow the molten plastic to intermix and bond together.

The bad part is you get one shot at the heating cycle.  If you don't get it right, you are screwed.  You can't re-heat either part.

Not exactly something the average home builder should try.

Ed ke6bnl

check out eternabond used to seal leaks in trailer roofs and motorhomes. I hve some have not used it to comment. but people swear by it. Ed

http://www.eternabond.com/rv_repairs.htm?s1=yahoo&s2=rv=repairs
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Okiedokie

Does it tolerate immersion in gasoline?

Actually I seem to have performed a successfull repair. I found a gas tank repair kit NAPA sells [for metal tanks] and used a #14 SS pan head screw, coated it with the epoxy in the kit, since it is obviously unaffected by gasoline, and screwed it into the hole in the tank. At his point it seems to have worked. I am still hoping to get thru to Tanks and see what they recommend. Joe