Fill a drilled hole in a poly gas tank

Started by Okiedokie, September 26, 2008, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I finally spoke with Tanks today [hard to get thru to them] and it sounds like their "possible" fix is what Don spoke of. A rubber grommet with a plug inserted. This is the same gromett used on top, just with a plug instead of a vent fitting. It does require drilling the hole to 1/2" and I am not sure that I have that much room to the edge of the tank. I had them send one anyway. They don't say it is a fix, just a maybe. They really said there is no fix. Not weldable, and nothing will adhere to the tank. I will leave the screw with epoxy untill [if] it begins to leak. If that fails I will try the gromett/plug, if that fails then I will start looking to install a tank under the bed. thanks for all the input. Joe

Beck

I don't think I would have used the epoxy. It will not stick to the plastic. I would have used a small rubber washer that was compatable with gas. I have some viton sheet laying around somewhere. Just use some tubing to punch holes. Sharpen a piece of brake line for the small one and maybe a piece of 1/2 tube for the big one. If the epoxy holds don't mess with it. The screw by itself will probably seal the hole.

Okiedokie

I knew the epoxy would not stick to poly tank, but thought it would fill the threads of the screw, lessening the chance of gas seeping there. You are probably correct about just the screw might have worked but I thought this offered a little insurance. So far it is holding, time will tell. Joe