hooley and the studebaker

Started by dragrcr50, August 08, 2008, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Hey all Charlie made it here fine and had no problem found on the car yesterday.  He got in yesterday afternoon and we went on a long hike today and we are both beat, but plan on going on a shorter one in the morning.

I love the track roadster.

Hooley, John and Patrick are in Santa Rosa for the night and should be here tomorrow afternoon.

Got to get to bed,

Sum

I woke up at 4:00am so here I am on the computer.  We had a flat on the trailer yesterday but we had just pull off the interstate to eat when it started to leak.  We had it plugged at the only tire shop in town.  $21 to plug a tire was a little pricey but we were glad we did not have to change it along the side of the highway.  The Dodge diesel really pulls the trailer nice.  The truck has a Banks controller that is adjustable and we are getting better mileage than the old Suburban and it has a lot more power.  Hooley and I are spending our time talking about our plan for the runs on the salt.  We have a few things to fix and change on the car when we get to Sumners today but nothing major.  We will try to post updates as we have time but usually we are pretty tired by the time we get back to our room at night.

It sure is nice to be able to post on the rrt.  I have got to find someone to help me fix my computer at home.  (It does not like the rrt).

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Might as well give another report from west of Laramie...Beck got here last night, too. Sum and I sorted out the on-board cameras yesterday so I guess I will be subbing for River1 on the video work....big shoes to to fill.

Sum was still verifying the data collection system today and both John and Hoolet had work to do on the car. I took Beck (Tom) out for some tourist stuff. We did Bridges Monument, Muley Point, Moki Dugway, Gooseneck and a tour of scenic Bluff, UT.

The Trailblazer is hauling the trailer/track roadster very well, however it could stand a couple hunnert more ponies and torque for those long and high Colorado passes. Some it crested as 20-30 mph but it never really complained. No overheating and averaging about 13 mpg overall.

Have had the roadster out of the trailer for rides the last couple days and had to adjust the clutch. Just started slipping, which a little more free play fixed.

I awoke Monday in Colorado Springs to a picture perfect day. I took the roadster up Pikes Peak as planned. When I got up to the toll both they told me they weren't letting anyone up the last mile due to ice on the road but they thought it would be open in an hour. It was 28F at the top. I drove up to the road block and decided not to wait, so went back down. Played  a mild form of Mario Andretti and left town around 10 AM.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Thanks for the reports.  I sure miss not being there so I'm gonna have to live it thru youse guys. 8)

At least the weather here is perfect and I'll be up at the cabin with the grandsons and Murf next week so it will be a good vacation anyway. :D

I know I don't have to tell you but I will anyway......Have fun, be safe, and here's to Hooley breaking his own land speed record!
:b-d:
George

enjenjo

I just got off the phone with Johm, they went out the back door at 252mph, and are in impound. Record run in the morning.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

dragrcr50

ALRIGHT CAN I HAVE A   "HELL YEA"  ..........................I think we all thought it was a 255 car and that is proving it  sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

that is great news!

I wonder what the entering  speed was on that mile , since the exit speed was 252....

i am curious how much the car was accelerating.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

found a place to pirate some net time. The run this morning was near perfect. Hooley actually qualified for a new record in the 2nd mile at 237, the 3rd at  240+ and the 4th at 249. Exit at mile 5 was 252. We had a good 4 hours at impound with some work to keep the wire plugs in the data collection device, ad aquick cleaning of the water pump which was blowing fuses. All working now. We cut the oil filetr, which was spotless clean so put on a new filter and topped up the oil. Haven't seen the on board video yet but I think Sum is down loading them tonight. I'm sort of the new River1 on video cameras - LOL.

Went to the Hop Up doings tonight where they inducted 5 new members in their 100 mph club. !00 with a flathead 4 cyl. A dust storm is blowing through here now, but tapering off. Temp was probably in the high 90's today, againg.

DRD57 is taking lots of pictures as usual. The track roadster has a liberal coating of salt - in and out. Actually looks a mess, but it's running good and I'm having a great time with it.

Hooley thinks he can enter the 2nd a lot stroger tommorow, so were lloking for a bump in the last mile. If we reset the record tomorrow and the car is still running sweet we will probably bump the power in the afternoon and try to get a new qualifying run eyt on Wednesday, or failing to have time, on Thursday. Cross your fingers. A record anywhere around 150 will put the stars and planets back in alignment with C, D & E/CC classes then slower the BCC - as they should be!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Ohio Blue Tip

Thanks for the updates.
Good luck in the morning and be safe.
Wish I was there.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

sirstude

Thanks for the updates, and GREAT JOB everyone.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

you know, hooley always sets a record when i'm not there :cry:

maybe i'm the unlucky charm

good job to all involved :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

wish i could be there

later jim[/img]
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

I'm getting excited just READING about this. Awesome. Just plain awesome.

Charlie Chops 1940

We had a great morning! Hooley reset the record at 249.945 ( we can always round it up to 250. He ran 253+ out the back door. With 2 top speeds over 250 he has now received his AA license.

The car got wounded slightly. Something caused enough crankcase pressure to push the front crank seal and front pan gasket oil and spread a little oil on the front of the engine. Hooley has elected not to try to repair it here as he has met his goal for this year. Everyone was okay with that. We're gonna spend the afternoon relaxing and pulling the pit stuff down. They will head home tomorrow and do the HAMB drags.

I'm gonna stay until Saturday as I have a spare transmission for the track roadster coming from San Jose. Supposed to be hear some time Friday.

There were more cars in impound yesterday than I have ever seen. The weather and the salt was near perfect.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

oldbobsign

CONGRATULATIONS, HOOLEY!!!!!

Huge thumbs-up to all involved, what an incredible trip you guys have had this year !!

Thanks Charlie for keepin' us informed and glad you're havin' fun with the track roadster.  Have a safe trip home.

Jim, I'm sorry you didn't make it either but I think there are a lot more records in Hooley's future and I hope to see one in person.  No way are you an unlucky charm.

Sum, haven't heard from you about about the PVC sheets, offer still stands.  Wish I had been with you and Charlie on the hikes.

Larry

Ohio Blue Tip

Super!  Good going guys on the new record.
Thanks Charlie for the reports, see ya home later.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken