hooley and the studebaker

Started by dragrcr50, August 08, 2008, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragrcr50

I was up at hooleys last weekend while i was picking up a 55 chevy i bought.   and i cought him workin on the bonneville car, running in the fresh engine and it sounds killer.  startin to come together looked like ..
The man is dedicated to the cause...I feel a new record comin on ...
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Charlie Chops 1940

It's probably bad luck to wish for one run on the monday and into impound, isn't it. Would be nice though. Looking forward to seeing the gang.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"It's probably bad luck to wish for one run on the monday and into impound, isn't it. Would be nice though. Looking forward to seeing the gang.

Charlie

Unless the weather looks bad we will go a little easier than that.  First run will probably be a license pass with Patrick on the short course in the 190's as he can't run over 200 until he gets that license.

Then we have to figure things out.  All of our good runs have been before 11 in the morning due to the fact the salt gets slippery in the afternoon when the heat brings the moisture up.  So we might try and stage ourselves in line to run Hooley Tues. morning unless there is plenty of time Monday to run both of them and also position in line for Tues in case we have to.  The other problem will be to make sure we can cool the cooling water after Patrick's run.  We don't want a repeat of last year.

Charlie you still getting here Wed. afternoon or when??

Sum

Harry

Tell me sumthin'
Does the idler pulley on a blower drive have grooves/teeth/splines on them?
If not, why isn't it run on the back of the blower belt?
If it was run on the back of the blower belt, you would have more degrees of arc contact on the blower pulley.
Just wondering.....

Rochie

I've watched the build of the Stude on here since it's inception.  Now I'm going to get to see it in person.  Hooley would you mind if 4 Canadians stopped by the pit and gawked at the car for a while.
Sumner you and I have a couple of common friends, Denise (HRLC) being one.  I would certainly enjoy meeting Hooley and you. Perhaps at the meet and greet or in the pits or Bend in the Road.
See you there,
Wayne

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Harry"Tell me sumthin'
Does the idler pulley on a blower drive have grooves/teeth/splines on them?
If not, why isn't it run on the back of the blower belt?
If it was run on the back of the blower belt, you would have more degrees of arc contact on the blower pulley.
Just wondering.....

Hey for sure and stop by our pit, while we are in line or at the "bend in the road" and introduce yourself.

Harry here is a picture of the belt set-up and I would think he has it the way he does for clearance and maybe other reasons.  You do know he is from Oklahoma and they tend to do things different there  :shock: .  Now since Sam is from the same "state" of mind maybe he can tell us for sure.

c ya,

Sum

dragrcr50

I think>>>>>>  that you cant run three pullys with cogs very well with the flexability you have with a belt. it has to glide over one of them as it is an idler and not a drive gear...  like a gear drive with the idler it merely keeps things in order but doesnt do anything else,, thats my story and im stickin to it...
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

kb426

The idler would be heavier with teeth. The alignment would be a problem. If the belt was on the inside, it would rub on most pump ext. With all the millimeter belts, it doesn't take alot of belt tension to be correct. With alum. heads and block, the expansion is considerable from the engine temp rising. The original Cragar 14 mm. dual idler setup for a 426 had one inside and one out. They only had one length of belt then that had to cover alot of ratios.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i wondered about the lack of the outside idler on the long span between the blower and the crank for years...  i would think that must really streach out on fuelers... even with that being the pull side.. the reduction in streach might reduce the amount of belt failures...    a high speed onboard camera would need to be installed on a fueler to tell...

just like someone did to solve the fuel flow cavatation issues that resulted in a redesign of tanks that put a funnel shape tank section  to the main line to the pump... this put all the acceleration forces into feeding fuel into the pump inlet..

i don't think this is an issue with the stude.. it just has been floating in the back of my head for years...  

it just may be like my idea of a hollow spoiler on the back of funny car bodys...  with opening to the inside of the body... the air flow over the tip of the spoiler would create enough vacuum it could reduce the amount of air under the back of the body...

the only draw back was when i mentioned.. how it would be when the engine blew..    it would make a peacock tail of the flames from under the car...

i wish i could make it up there to the salt..

Charlie Chops 1940

Sum,

I'm in Colorado Springs now. Gotta check some grumbling in the trailer hook up in the AM. I think 2 days of running the interstate in the rain sucked the ball mounts dry - or the sway control is binding.

Once everything is checked out I'm hoping it will be clear enough to take  out the track roadster and play with it on the Pikes Peak toll road in the morning still. Won't make it out of Colorado on Monday, but maybe be in Blanding Tuesday afternoon late. Or not.

Charlie

(/quote) Charlie you still getting here Wed. afternoon or when??

Sum[/quote]
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Sum,

I'm in Colorado Springs now. Gotta check some grumbling in the trailer hook up in the AM. I think 2 days of running the interstate in the rain sucked the ball mounts dry - or the sway control is binding.

Once everything is checked out I'm hoping it will be clear enough to take  out the track roadster and play with it on the Pikes Peak toll road in the morning still. Won't make it out of Colorado on Monday, but maybe be in Blanding Tuesday afternoon late. Or not.

Charlie

Sum
[/quote]

I have to go to Colo. Tues. afternoon for parts for my truck and should be back by 5-6.  Make yourself at home,

Sum

phat rat

Charlie

Sum
[/quote]

Charlie, if you get this in time don't worry about the grumbling. When the friction style sway control, which you have, gets wet it creaks. If by this morning it's dry you won't hear it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Jack,

You were right, it was the sway control, but it must have been wet inside still. It drove me crazy so I took it off for the day.

I'm in a Montrose, CO RV Park tonight, Got a 7:30 appt. for the TB at the Chevy garage in the morning. Has a "gronk" sound in the left front under braking while turning. I suspect it's a hub going south, or related anyway.

Nice park though - so it's not all bad.

Charlie

Quote from: "phat rat"

Charlie

Sum

Charlie, if you get this in time don't worry about the grumbling. When the friction style sway control, which you have, gets wet it creaks. If by this morning it's dry you won't hear it.[/quote]

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Hey all Charlie made it here fine and had no problem found on the car yesterday.  He got in yesterday afternoon and we went on a long hike today and we are both beat, but plan on going on a shorter one in the morning.

I love the track roadster.

Hooley, John and Patrick are in Santa Rosa for the night and should be here tomorrow afternoon.

Got to get to bed,

Sum