LOUISVILLE

Started by 348tripower, July 24, 2008, 08:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip

Would you believe that's all the last appraisal said the car was worth?  TEN GRAND!

Yea,  Grundy said to up it a bit.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

enjenjo

Quote from: "Skip"Would you believe that's all the last appraisal said the car was worth?  TEN GRAND!

Yea,  Grundy said to up it a bit.

I think you better find a better appraiser. 10,000 would not cover the paint job at todays prices.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Skip"Would you believe that's all the last appraisal said the car was worth?  TEN GRAND!

When, 1976??

Glad to see you're getting it ready to roll for the upcoming cruzn season.  Think about attending the Jalopy Showdown in York SPrings PA in May.  One of the better events in that area for tradtional hot rods and customs.  Maybe I'll see you there.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Skip

don't think I'll have it finished by then
Skip

Early Hemi SME

timkins

This amy sound dumb but I thought Louisville was not until August this year. What did I miss???

rumrumm

When Skip posted the update, he used an older thread featuring the same topic.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Skip

The appraisal was done by a licensed appraiser about 5 years ago.  It's nothing but a beat up old hot rod with 233,000 miles on it.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

enjenjo

Quote from: "Skip"The appraisal was done by a licensed appraiser about 5 years ago.  It's nothing but a beat up old hot rod with 233,000 miles on it.

Well maintained beat up old hot rod.

Skip

Last Sunday (April 26).  Nearly ready to lay on epoxy primer.  Need to clean up a couple of body seams that were originally leaded but the lead got partially removed by the "professional" who re-painted the car in '04.  Sandblasting the crevices pitted the body filler on the cowl.

Late this afternoon.  Need a bit more work on the "dent" and I can start rebuilding the graphics.  

All four doors, the cowl vent and left rear fender now have epoxy primer on the bare metal.  I'll go over everything looking for door dings (there are a couple) and pitted body filler from sandblasting the crevices then I'll shoot the car with lacquer primer and start putting on some color.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

enjenjo

You'll have it ready soon.

Skip

The gold stripe with the acetylene smudges around the belt line was shot a couple of weeks ago but I still need to finish sanding off the tape edges.  Got the graphics taped off (mostly Metalflake Spray-Mask) and the white is , now, all repainted.

Started repairing the transitions between the doors (I took out the stone chips while I was at it and that means blending the blue stripe across the rear hinge on the front door)  That bottom hinge on the front door will be blue. Still need to reproduce the Candy Sea Green over Candy Regal Blue ribbon on the front doors/cowl.

and I have part of the ribbon replaced where the fender whacked the rear quarter  (Candy Sea Green over Candy Aztec Gold).  
Have the Candy Aztec Gold sprayed on the car, will overlay the Sea Green tomorrow night after work.

The last part of the ribbon is Candy Brick Red fading into Candy Purple then over sprayed with Candy Regal Blue.  Getting the transition of the Candy Regal Blue into the existing scene will be a challenge as I'm dealing with translucent colors and overlaying one coat over the existing paint darkens the existing paint.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

Skip

Well, I beat the rain and got the doors and body graphics done.  I shot the cob webs Saturday and sanded the clear yesterday (Sunday) and finished up tonight.

Now I have to bolt on the doors so I can get an accurate tape reference to blend the Cinnamon Firemist over the edge of the white panel.

It's been raining since Saturday evening and isn't supposed to let up until Thursday so  I have plenty of time to tape panels up.

Once the Cinnamon Firemist is blended, I can shoot the Candy Tangerine over it, un-tape the graphics and blend the candy tangerine around the white panel and over the gold stripe.

Last step is a few coats of clear, then blocking it out then a couple more coats of clear.

I got the blend on the blue ribbon pretty close.  It ain't perfect but that's nearly impossible with translucent paints when you have one color laid down over another.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

enjenjo

I knew you could do it Skip. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Carps

Quote from: "Skip"It's nothing but a beat up old hot rod with 233,000 miles on it.
You sure he was talking about the car and not the driver?   :wink:

Good to see you've got it all under control.

Still undecided on doing the trip this year, but if I get the 'all clear' I'll be there.  Wouldn't be my first ever last minute flight and prolly won't be the last.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Skip

Shot the Candy Tangerine on Saturday, blended it over the gold stripe and white panel this morning .

Pulled the doors back off and shot three coats of clear on the jambs and jambed the body.

Put the doors back on and cleared the outside.

Was putting the first coat of clear on the back side of the cowl vent and it went milky SO I cleaned the gun and packed it in.  It's raining AGAIN!

Have to block the whole body to level off the remaining transitions between paint layers then clear the car again.  I sanded the transitions I could get away with but some of them just couldn't be sanded w/o breaking through a layer.    so...... I'll hide 'em under the clear like we did 37 years ago when we painted it the first time.
Skip

Early Hemi SME