LOUISVILLE

Started by 348tripower, July 24, 2008, 08:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Quote from: "reborn55"hey Al and Mrs. Al--you parking in the same spot as last year.

Ken, We enjoyed seeing you again. My wife liked the Nats so much that she is planning next year already. 10,711 registered this time. Lower than the last few years, but still many to look at.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

57larry

I had a great time as always. it's nice to be able to stay at the hotel across the street

reborn55

Hey Al--was great to see you and your new bride and meet a fellow RRT member.  Should have visited longer.  Take care

58Apache

Well it wasn't the same without Enjenjo there, but had a good time and enjoyed the whole package deal.

We even went to see Jay and the American's.

Good times, good cars, good friends.

Steve

Skip

got there on Monday, worked on Tuesday helping set up the O'Brien Truckers booth, got a bit wet Wednesday morning, did the building on Thursday and shot some photos in the afternoon.  Shot a ton more photos on Friday, MoPar country and Safety inspection on saturday and wrecked my car on Sunday.

Rear tire blew at 65 mph.  Couldn't get stopped before the tire started coming apart.  Broke the tail light and put a basketball-sized dent in the rear quarter and the paint is chipping off on the end of the ribbon where it widens into the scene.  The white (lacquer) base is no longer available so, after 44 years,  the car may not get repaired except for, maybe,  a new fender.  Today's paints won't adhere to acrylic lacquer so the dent will stay if we can't find '72 Ford white lacquer. (or the tinters to mix it)

Tire hit the upper hinge and sprung the door which chipped the paint on the rear quarter

Rear is dented and paint has chipped off the ribbon which can't be fixed unless I can locate 72 Ford white lacquer.

Dragged out my spare and drove down to Emmaus, PA with Jack Woodcome and we hauled the car home 9 Aug 08.

Just found out this afternoon that the car's totalled, at least in the eyes of the insurance company, and I have to by it back if I want to repair it myself.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

reborn55

Sorry to hear that--at least you were able to keep it under control.  Good luck

Rayvyn

Dang Skip, sorry to hear that. One of my favorite cars to ride in. I've enjoyed it for years.
Hope you can get her back and re-do it. The back lot at Loovul and the fairgrounds at Macungie won't be the same.
It definitely has to be up there with the best of the long distance and most miles group.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

UGLY OLDS

Skip....Don't give up yet...I think these folks still mix acrylic lacquer per the OE paint code & chip.....Go to the site & then to the "color library" ..
Hope this helps....

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Skip

Thanks!

Looked into their site and they list both color I need $119 and change for the white and $190 for the cinnamon firemist

Now, let's hope they have it and aren't just lising the numbers.

I've e-mailed 'em.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

purplepickup

Man, that's a bummer to hear about the '34 Skip.  But if they totalled it and you buy it back, things should be ok.  I know you're not going to part with it after having it 40+ years.  Good to hear no one got hurt.
George

UGLY OLDS

Hey Skip...Did you get your paint issues squared away  :?: Hopefully they were able to help..What's the status on the car  :?:

Skip

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Hey Skip...Did you get your paint issues squared away  :?: Hopefully they were able to help..What's the status on the car  :?:

Phoned them.  They can help.  Just waiting on the insurance check right now.

The quarter's kinked in at the bottom pretty bad.  Will need to be pulled.  The rear pan is torn on both sides (where it got pulled around to the right)

Big dent in the quarter where the paint's chipping off.

Hopefully, it'll be done for next spring but I may be driving it in primer (spots) next season if things don't get moving with the idiot adjuster (he STILL hasn't sent in the estimate to Grundy)
Skip

Early Hemi SME

UGLY OLDS

QuoteHopefully, it'll be done for next spring but I may be driving it in primer (spots) next season if things don't get moving with the idiot adjuster (he STILL hasn't sent in the estimate to Grundy)
[/quote]

GREAT to hear you're going to be able to save it  :!:   Some projects take a little longer than others..The good news is that you're bringing it back... 8)

Bob...... :wink:

Skip

The car was up in Rindge New Hampshire for a few weeks dealing with the insurance company. Since it was only insured for $10.000, they totaled it and I had to buy it back after they averaged the salvage bids.  Some shyster, who knew the car, bid ten grand.  When the insurance company averaged in the other bids, it cost me $2,100.00 plus $300.00 deductible and I got $2,400.00 to resurrect the car.

Once that was settled, Jack straightened out the rear quarter and made me a new fender from one I bought from Dave Simard.

I have all of the paint that I'll need to re-paint the car, even the original Cinnamon Firemist base for under the candy tangerine. (thanks for the pointer, they had the paint and shipped it right out).  Just ordered and received all of the Metalflake colors I need.

Spent the better part of late fall removing the doors and sanding the candy tangerine off the front doors before the cold weather hit and my air sander started freezing up.  The front doors wound up in my den all winter because I was afraid the condensation in the garage would turn them to rust.

Now that warmer weather is here, I've gotten a lot more done.  I still have to weld up a tiny crack in the rear pan (on the left side) that occurred when the body got  stretched around the back.  As soon as that's done, I can get some filler on top and prime the rear of the car.

The roof's all stripped as is the rear and right quarter.  Still have the left quarter, cowl and all four door jambs to do as well as the both rear doors and finishing up the front doors.

This was shot yesterday afternoon, 28 March. I shot the pic before the light got bad.  The belt line is, now, bare metal as is the rear window opening.

Click on the image and, once you get to Webshots, click on "full size".  The color of the dashboard is the original color of the car.  The last paint job in 2005 was done over Metalflake Gold base.  The original was shot over Cinnamon Firemist.  The dashboard and header are the only two pieces that are original.

After this shot was taken I finished removing the candy tangerine below the belt line.  I want nice crisp lines so I'm removing all of the paint in the crevices and blending back into the graphics.  The plus side of the matter is these repaints have all but erased the masking tape edge lines that were under the original clear.

The "tiger stripe" is, now, totally bare metal.

Have to blacken the surfer's hair and re-shoot the cob-webbing then blend the candy tangerine back into the belt line.

The crease in the body was pretty severe.  I'm just about done leveling off the corner.  The candy tangerine up at the top in the groove under the belt line has been sanded off since the pic was shot.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

enjenjo

Looking good Skip. I bet you insure it for more this time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.