Mufflers

Started by houston54, July 07, 2008, 02:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

After the first 300 miles of driving the 54 some problems have become apparent.  All the issues can be solved by time and money but one of the problems has me asking for opinions here.  That question is "What is a good alternative to Flowmaster 40s?"  These cans are much too loud at highway speed for long distance comfort.  I love the sound but the resonance at 60 mph and higher is a problem.  The cab is well insulated and sealed and the attached pic shows the muffler installation.

I need to replace these before long.  Any suggestions on replacements?  Anyone running the Hushpowers?

enjenjo

You might consider resonators, they can get rid of the harshness without a big change in the sound.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

I have a set of these on one of my daily drivers. nice mellow tone, not too loud.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1703,281_Smithys-Glass-Pack-Muffler.html

Bugpac can get ya a decent deal, shoot him a PM if yer interested

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: EMSjunkieI have a set of these on one of my daily drivers. nice mellow tone, not too loud.

Vance...I have been thinking about these for my "A"..What length are you using & Just how "loud" are they  :?:  ( Any "Blatt-Blatt-Blatt" or drone at highway speeds :?:  :?:

Bob................. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

houston54

Where do the resonators fit in the plumbing?  Before or after the muffler?

EMSjunkie

Quote from: UGLY OLDS
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I have a set of these on one of my daily drivers. nice mellow tone, not too loud.

Vance...I have been thinking about these for my "A"..What length are you using & Just how "loud" are they  :?:  ( Any "Blatt-Blatt-Blatt" or drone at highway speeds :?:  :?:

Bob................. :wink:

no "blatt" just a nice mellow tone. no hiway drone, etc. actually, they are a little "tame" for my taste, but.............

I used the 30" ones, theyare under my '80 GMC p/u

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "houston54"Where do the resonators fit in the plumbing?  Before or after the muffler?

After the mufflers.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

Can you  get rid of the drone by using a "X" pipe??????????????
I don't know, just thinking
Russ

houston54

That was what I feared.  No room on the current configuration for them with the tank I am using.  I have a pair of summit turbos in the attic I may fit on and see if there is any improvement.  The model 40s though have to go.

kb426

If you have researched Flowmasters, you know they have several different models. The delta flows are far quieter. Call them and describe your situation and the desired result. They have been very helpful in the past with me. I don't know who to tell you to ask for. It's been several years since I had too much sound and I don't remember who I talked to.
TEAM SMART

Dr Flowgood

I like the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, they are quieter than the 40 flows and dont have that hollow sound.  and they flow better

Doug
what, I cant hear you

papastoyss

I use Dyno Max Super Turbos, they are quiet, just a little more tone than a stock muffler. Too quiet for most folks, but they don't become irritating after 200+ miles either.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

purplepickup

I don't know anything about these, but Edelbrock still has a few of their RPM Series mufflers on sale....sort of.
http://store.edelbrock.com/rpmseriesmufflers.aspx
George

Danimal

Quote from: "papastoyss"I use Dyno Max Super Turbos, they are quiet, just a little more tone than a stock muffler. Too quiet for most folks, but they don't become irritating after 200+ miles either.

I'd go this route because I hate Flowmashers but first get a cross over, either an X or an H pipe in there. If it is true duals, you're going to be faced with drone. Somewhere up by the tranny should be the best place for a cross over. An X is really necessary because you aren't doing it for flow but for tuning.

houston54

Great information.  I will be testing out the Summit turbos I have in the parts bin in the next couple of weeks. If those are not satisfactory I will source some of the dynomax turbos.  

The system currently in place consides of Hedman swept back short tube headers into 2.25 inch pipes with an "H" pipe.