cooling fan

Started by reborn55, July 04, 2008, 10:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Thinking of putting a cooling fan in ragtop.  Running a little warm in traffic.  Any problems with mounting a pusher in front of the condensor.  Figure on getting a 14 inch pushing about 200 cfm.  Not a big temp problem, but if it ever gets warm enough around here I might need to use it. :-o   Thanks

unklian

Pulling fans are more efficient.

Easier to pull air straight through a rad,
than to try pushing turbulent air through.

reborn55

Thanks I realize that--but have no room for that unless I get rid of mechanical fan

Crosley.In.AZ

sounds like  a  plan..

I use the SPAL brand usually.

Not sure IF other brand may be better now?

Tony in AZ
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Skip

Quote from: "reborn55"Thinking of putting a cooling fan in ragtop.  Running a little warm in traffic.  Any problems with mounting a pusher in front of the condensor.  Figure on getting a 14 inch pushing about 200 cfm.  Not a big temp problem, but if it ever gets warm enough around here I might need to use it. :-o   Thanks

What type of distributor are you running?
Vacuum advance?  No Vacuum advance?
Where is the vacuum advance hose connected?  Ported or manifold vacuum?

Should be manifold vacuum for a GM product, ported for Ford and MoPar.

A GM running ported vacuum advance or no vacuum advance at all WILL overheat at low rpm.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

reborn55

Running GM HEI with manifold vacuum to distributor.  Doesn't really get hot reaches around 210, but when I turn the a/c on it will startt to climb a little.  This is at idle in gear in traffic.  other than that it runs 185-190 with 185 T-Stat.
thanks

phat rat

For the situation like you're talking about I would recommend a 16" Spal. Either on a switch or a thermostat control as you certainly don't need it on all the time. I had a no name 14" on the cpe for awhile then went to a 16" Spal it works great.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Skip

Quote from: "reborn55"Running GM HEI with manifold vacuum to distributor.  Doesn't really get hot reaches around 210, but when I turn the a/c on it will startt to climb a little.  This is at idle in gear in traffic.  other than that it runs 185-190 with 185 T-Stat.
thanks

Are you sure it's on the correct carb port?

What kind of carb?
Skip

Early Hemi SME

houston54

200 cfm sounds like a hair dryer.  I had a similar problem trying to squeeze the 350 into the 55.  I tossed the mechanical fan and installed a dual speed electric fan from a Ford Taurus.  I cut the depth of the shroud down and am using a derale adjustable fan controller.  So far in Houston heat it has not gone past 180 degrees.  Once I have the AC installed I will be wiring the high speed setting to kick in with the compressor.  I believe it is 3200 cfm on high and 2800 cfm on low.  I picked my unit up on ebay for about $40 but you could probably get one at your local yard for that or less.

reborn55

Quote from: "Skip"
Quote from: "reborn55"Running GM HEI with manifold vacuum to distributor.  Doesn't really get hot reaches around 210, but when I turn the a/c on it will startt to climb a little.  This is at idle in gear in traffic.  other than that it runs 185-190 with 185 T-Stat.
thanks

What kind of carb?

running manifold vacuum off 600 Edelbrock carb.

Skip

Quote from: "reborn55"
thanks

What kind of carb?

Which side of the carb do you have the vacuum advance hose connected to?
Skip

Early Hemi SME

reborn55

thanks

What kind of carb?

drivers side

Skip

thanks

What kind of carb?

drivers side

Yup, that's manifold vacuum.

Is your fan right up close to the radiator?  
Do you have a fan shroud?  
Is there room for air to pass around the sides of the radiator?
How many blades? (stock 4 blade fan or aftermarket multi-blade)

FWIW, '76 Aspen/Volare six cylinder with air cnditioning fan is a SEVEN blade fan that'll bolt onto a small blok Chevy water pump and pull some serious air.  It's a one-year-only, non-viscous drive, fan but they're out there.  A lot of guys up here in New England are using them.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

reborn55

thanks

What kind of carb?

drivers side

Yup, that's manifold vacuum.

Is your fan right up close to the radiator?  
Do you have a fan shroud?  
Is there room for air to pass around the sides of the radiator?
How many blades? (stock 4 blade fan or aftermarket multi-blade)

FWIW, '76 Aspen/Volare six cylinder with air cnditioning fan is a SEVEN blade fan that'll bolt onto a small blok Chevy water pump and pull some serious air.  It's a one-year-only, non-viscous drive, fan but they're out there.  A lot of guys up here in New England are using them.

fan is within 3/4-1 inch of radiator
has a shroud
Plenty of room for air to pass and has multiblade fan

Skip

Kinda surprised it's running hot.  Peraps the radiator is plugged or  marginally inadequate.

Stock radiator, perhaps?

What's this in, a tri-five Chev?
Skip

Early Hemi SME