cooling fan

Started by reborn55, July 04, 2008, 10:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Walker radiator in a 48 Chevy---temp just creeps up in traffic in gear at idle.  going down the road it runs 185-190

Skip

Quote from: "reborn55"Walker radiator in a 48 Chevy---temp just creeps up in traffic in gear at idle.  going down the road it runs 185-190
That grille's pretty unrestrictive so I doubt that airflow is an uissue like it wouldbe in something like a '40Ford DeLuxe grille.

Has it ever gotten over 220 or are you just anticipating that it might?

My hemi used to run on the thermostat and, sometimes, a tad above when I had a Walker.  Got tired of repairing the tub-to-header leaks every couple of years and installed a Griffin.  Problem went away and hasn't returned since a month after the last NSRA Columbus nationals (when I got the Griffin)....and my engine has trouble getting up to 180 on the highway now (with a 195 thermostst).

Don't know what to tell ya, but remember this, an electric fan will block a good portion of your airflow and the installation will probably necessitate it's constant use instead or only as a back-up.

If that isn't the thickest Walker perhaps you need a thicker radiator or an aluminum radiator instead.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

sirstude

When I had the Studebaker, it used to run hot in parade and slow traffic on hot days, I put a pusher fan on it and the cured the hot in slow situations.  However, it then ran 20 to 30 degrees hotter down the highway, the pusher fan blocked enough airflow to cause that.  I threw it away and then built a shroud and everything was great after that.  Ran cool down the road and under 210 in parades.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

reborn55

Never has gotten over 210--did that on the way home from Indy--when we got rerouted off the interstate due to floods.  Got stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic and it got close to 210.  I guess I am just trying to play it safe.  Just have to bring an extra gallon of water along for cruises.  thanks all

Topsterguy

Hey Skip, that's kind of interesting!  I've got a 383 SBC in my 32 coupe, points dist, vac advance goes to the pass side front of a holley carb, and mine runs hot as well. Normally at about 190 with a 180 thermastat, but in heat or traffic it'll go up to 210-220 pretty quick. I've just put in a new thermastat, water wetter in the rad, and the rad and tank are topped up. Is the vac adv in the right place? Could that be MY problem????? Drives me crazy!!!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

papastoyss

In years past I've used the round sheetmetal disc that poprivets to the back of water pump impeller with good results on an engine that ran cool at highway speeds but got hot quickly in traffic. Cheap fix. Oh yeah, this is on a SBC.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!