Tech: 5" Gauges in AD Chevy/GMC Truck

Started by Danimal, June 02, 2008, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

Stop me if you've heard this one before. Bought new gauges. They don't fit. Guy offers $200 billet aluminum adapters. I say no...

Last month I ordered the gauges for Courtland's truck. There was a thread on there from TPost/Tugmaster asking what would be the best gauges to use. I jumped in and asked about Dolphin and AutoMeter. Well, I know there is a significant price difference but AutoMeter is a name I've known and trusted. Either way, new gauges are a minimum of a few hundred bucks.
I received a PM at that time about the mounting and that I'd need an adapter. A HAMB Alliance Member pointed this out to me and that he'd sell me a set if I wanted one. I looked at the Dolphin ad in Street Rodder and saw they were $190! Dolphin gauges are only like $250 or so AND the adapter is billet. The whole point of the build on this truck is to go to BilletProof Detroit so that left me with one option: Figure it out our selves!

Danimal

Sunday I actually pulled the gauges out of the box and test fit them into the holes.

Whoops. Basic math could have told me this wasn't going to work.

Danimal

What to do? I've collected 5 '54 AD cabs over the last few years and a number of gauge clusters more. Just a little bit of disassembly showed me what I was up against.

Further investigation showed a fairly flat surface on the back of the stock speedo and that the gauges were not concentric with the housing but off set.

Tracing it out with a sharpie and cutting with a good metal blade in the jig saw left a decent clearance hole. A little filing and grinding opened it right up.

Danimal

The nice thing about this is the center part. It acts as an angled shroud for the gauge to direct your eye inward. It has a nice angle to it AND it tapers.

Only one thing to do: Bust out the grinder! (OK, guard is off so I can get inside. Not a recommended method. Please were appropriate protective devices.

After much grinding, which might have been better on a good belt sander I was able to get to the size needed.

Danimal

Angle is still there and taper is still there, only much less (actually side view of the part earlier is finished, I forgot a 'before' shot.)
After more trial fits and some rust removal, the gauge fits.

Then the stock 'chrome' bezel was put on to check the view. Glass was deleted because the gauges have a curved glass AND they don't drop down all the way into the angled bezel.

A little satin paint from our local hardware store...

Danimal

Some drying time while shortening of the mounting bracket so it fit on the back and...

Presto. The driver can keep track of all the great details and have money left over to put a cushion on his seat!

UGLY OLDS

WOW  :!:  :!:   That's usin' your noodle  :!:  :!:  :?  :?   I like it  :!:

The BEST parts is FREE parts  :!:  :!:  :b-d:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Danimal

Only issue found so far is the AutoMeter speedo uses a plastic ring for a backing mount instead of the aluminum one on the quad. I'll most likely be making one out of some strapping like a typical gauge.

Danimal

Just cut the plastic, looks like it's going to hold fine.

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

39deluxe

Being offset a little really adds some interest. Nice work. Is that a '53 Passenger car wheel?

Danimal

Quote from: "39deluxe"Being offset a little really adds some interest. Nice work. Is that a '53 Passenger car wheel?

Technically no. But yes, it is from a '54 Chevy Bel Air. Carry over from '53. I sold the car to pay for the truck but kept the spare wheel. There is a whole theme to the truck. Court wants the headlight rings, body line in the front fender, and the tail lights on his truck. It will end up as a mild custom but we just haven't gotten there just yet!

39deluxe

I spent some time looking at one of those. Then when mom and dad got the '53 Olds 88 for a second car I just couldn't resist the Rocket power and the Hydramatic. Looking  back they were both cool cars. That Chevy 6 volt would really spin when we had to jump start it with the Olds. Mom had a habit of not getting the door closed when she got to work and the dome lite would drain it over the 8 hours of time.

Strange how just a steering wheel will bring back so many memories. The truck is going to be a nice ride.

Tom

BFS57

Hello;
I used Auto Meter gages for my 57 Chevy. The fuel and Temp gages fit fine but when I put the Speedo in, It was a tad too small. Cure was to make a 3/16" "collar" out of ABS plastic  to fit around the gage and cover up the area where the void was. Then I mounted it where the original speedo mounted and it looks like it was meant to be!
Good Job!

Bruce

kb426

I like what you have done. I'm a big fan of Autometer because of their repair services.
TEAM SMART