new wheels and a pondering chair

Started by phat rat, January 03, 2008, 06:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Been doing a lot of pondering with this getting it set to have the engine pan clearance I want, inside room  and the look I want. I'm getting close I think. The rear will have to be z'd. Haven't started on cutting the frame yet as this isn't the one I'm going to use. I found another A frame down by Enjenjo's that was a bit nicer than this one. So I'll until I get that one from Frank as he was nice enough to pick it up for me. Thanks again Frank.   Tires in front are 24" and the rear are 29'
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

You going to channel the body any? Looking good so far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bugpac

Looks long, How far out is the front axle going to be from the rad? Besides that, glad to see your making progress... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

phat rat

Not going to channel it, it's going to be tight for foot room as it is with the T-400. I want to be able to have shoes on when I drive. LOL  The wheelbase is stock (103") Model A I thjnk by the time the 454 is in there it won't look so long. Part of the reason it does is because the body is shoved back quite a bit.

Bugpac

Will the body move forward some likely then?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

phat rat

probably not. I would like to have a bit of wheelbase and if I bring it forward much I would need to shorten it or it would have to much empty space in the rear.

donsrods

I think it just looks long because of no engine in it right now.  My '27 has a 103 inch model a frame and my 23 T has a 100 inch wb.  Once you get the grille and all up there you will appreciate all the engine room you can get.  To be honest, I should have made my 23 just a tad longer for fan clearance and all. It is ok, but an extra inch or two would have been nice.  If I add a GMC blower some day I will have to play games with the belts.

Looks good in your mockup though.

Don

phat rat

Thanks Don. I'm going to need the room for the BBC. This is what it looked like with the motor in front of the body awhile ago. I can't put the motor between the rails until I get the frame I'm going to use as the middle Xmember is in the way and I'm figuring on selling this frame so I don't want to mess with it that way

GPster

Years ago (and you may not be able to find one now) I built a "T" frame with a "Z" and I happened on something that helped. Old International Scouts had frames that looked like they were made out of 4" x 3" rectangular tubing. Because they were 4X4s they had "Live" axels at both ends their frames had  nice formed "Z"s at both ends. Being 4" high they were the same height as the center of "A" frames so I used half of the "A" frame and mated it onto the "Scout" frame under the body. That made the "Scout" kick-up the "Z" in the rear. Now I'm not sure of this but maybe the taper in the "A" frame in height from 4" to ? is the same in the front and back. If it is you might be able to use the back end frame channels to box the front frame channel and the you'd have a boxed frame that had four formed corners rather than two formed corners and two sharp angled corners. I like putting pieces together. Unfortunately the more pieces the less likely I am to get the puzzle finished. GPster

phat rat

thanks for the tip Joe. The Z will be about 8-9" in the rear and I have an 8' stick of 2" X 3" X 1/8 in stock that I'll use.

donsrods

I don't know if this picture will help at all, but as you can see the 302 in my '27 had to tuck back under the firewall by about 4 inches.  So if you are leaving enough room for the BBC with no firewall indentation what you have set up is about right.

Don

GPster

Just happened on this reminder last night. I was looking in my Christmas present ( 50 years of Rod and Custom)  and happened on a profile shot of the "Bo Jones - Style" of a '27 "T" touring with the back half removed. They state that the body was also narrowed 8" but if you didn't do that .wth the additional width of a '27 cowl maybe you could put a hood over a BBC. I keep having ideas, like trying to make an S15 GMC look like a Willys Jeepster. GPster

phat rat

No hood, No fenders, Just hot rod

donsrods

Quote from: "phat rat"No hood, No fenders, Just hot rod

I keep hearing about these things called hoods and fenders, but don't think I actually know what they are.  :roll:  8)  :lol:  :lol:

Don

phat rat

I like the looks of this one. It was in Rod and Custom a month or so ago.