My bulkhead fitting

Started by WZ JUNK, November 30, 2007, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I do not like bulkhead fittings.  There are eight more connections and eight more place to leak.  I do not like to use grommets, as they are not as neat appearing.   So I made one of these to pass the hoses through the firewall on a car that I am building.  The radiator hoses just pass through a hole and they are not a problem but the big metal ends on the air condition hoses keep you from just passing the hose through a hole.  That is why the panel is split.  After the firewall is drill and the hoses made up and installed, the panel goes on and is held in place by two studs threaded into the back of the plate.  I wanted to counterbore the allen head cap screws but I did not have a tap the size of the smaller cap screws and so I did it this way.  The two cap scres will be on the bottom and the hoses should hide them.   All the holes are very slightly chamfered to keep from cutting the hoses and they are a very tight fit.   I will take a picture after I make up the lines and place it on the car.   Keep in mind that I do not have a mill, lathe, or any other fancy tools.  My stuff is made by the Burt Monro method.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Nice job John. Could you countersink the bolt heads into the plate, or are they too large?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I like it. I may do the same on the 32. I feel the same way about more connections. I have a mill. :lol:
TEAM SMART

rooster

I like it to. Its all thats needed.  You wouldent  :D have to buy all those special fitting either.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Nice job John. Could you countersink the bolt heads into the plate, or are they too large?

I used #10 allen head cap screws and the heads are about 1/4" in diameter.  The plate is 1/4" thick so I could not couter bore for the heads.  I guess I could countersink and use screws and I my do that just to clean it up.  Next one I make, I may use #6 screws.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

wayne petty

hmm... countersink....  looks like there is room to counterbore it and sink the entire cap screw head into the lower half...it might be thin on the sides but it would hide it ...

unless you plan on using the clamp screws to mount it to a bracket to support it agenst the firewall

just a thought...

nice job.....

phat rat

Nice job John,.  But what is the Burt Monro method?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

John,

How long does the part under the thread need to be? I have some s/s flat head 10-32 allens that are 1" from the flat to the end of the screw. They can be spun to lose some of the head diameter also.

If they will work I'll shoot you a few in an envelope.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

John...I Like It :!:  :idea:   If its ok by you a piece just like that is gonna appear on my Model A.... :D
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"John,

How long does the part under the thread need to be? I have some s/s flat head 10-32 allens that are 1" from the flat to the end of the screw. They can be spun to lose some of the head diameter also.

If they will work I'll shoot you a few in an envelope.

Charlie

Thanks for the offer Charlie but I will dig around in the shop some tomorrow morning and see what I come up with.  I was so stuck on counter boring for the allen head screws that I forgot I could counter sink the screws.  I like that idea.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

You could also cut down the diameter of the *10 screw heads.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Looks good, nice job.

Buttonhead allens?

They would be somewhat hidden by their small head size and being under the hoses.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

WZ JUNK

Here it is on the car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

rooster

Very neat appearance. Good job.

nzsimon

That is so cool made with an armstrong mill
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true