My bulkhead fitting

Started by WZ JUNK, November 30, 2007, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Looks good John,  How did you drill the holes?  Hole Saw? Then split it afterwards?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "sirstude"Looks good John,  How did you drill the holes?  Hole Saw? Then split it afterwards?

Doug

I started with two strips of aluminum 1/4" by 1".   I sawed them from a piece of plate that I got from a junk man.(junkier than me) To make the pieces fit, I draw filed and sanded the two parts. (I do not have a mill.) I drilled and taped them so that they were held together and then I drilled the holes.  If you drill the holes and then cut it, the holes will be slight misshaped and the parting line will not be as true.   I drilled the holes with twist bits.  You need two 29/32s" for the heater hoses, 3/4" for the smaller air conditioning line and a 1" for the large line.   You could do a square one very similar as you would only need to split two of the holes as the heater hoses will slide through the other two.   The problem comes from the fittings on the end of the air conditioning lines.  The fittings are larger than the hose.  The holes behind the plate in the firewall are larger and I did them with a hole saw.

The next one I make I will use 3/8" material and it will make drilling and taping the two holes that hold the halves together much easier.  This time, I used what I had in the metal pile.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Nice work John, but that is still no excuse for not using some of the extra cash you are making this year on a mill and lathe.  Tell Brenda that it will make you a lot more productive and you will then be making a lot more money  8) ,

Sum

dragrcr50

So Burt, what do you need hoses inside the car for anyway... seem to weigh a lot to me./.................
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,