Axle strangth?

Started by J Man, September 12, 2007, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

You really want to mess up your mind. Ford I beam axles were forged, the Ford tube axles were cast, in one piece  :shock: They were not cast iron, but cast steel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"You really want to mess up your mind. Ford I beam axles were forged, the Ford tube axles were cast, in one piece  :shock: They were not cast iron, but cast steel.
If I remember correctly The Forged "I" beams are made in Canada by the same company that forged them for Ford. When the first started to appear I believe there was one company (in NY state?)  that had the distributing rights to them and everyone one that had them was getting them from the same place. I believe CE has the rights to them now and if you by a forged axel from anyone they're coming through CE. This is just how I have put the story together from what information I've gathered. GPster

J Man

so, does anyone make a reallllly narrow beam axle? Something that would give me a 40" tread width.

GPster

Quote from: "J Man"so, does anyone make a reallllly narrow beam axle? Something that would give me a 40" tread width.
Sure doesn't look like it. I have a friend that made a front engine rear wheel drive out of a one-off VW dune buggy creation. At the start he used an early Econoline front axel that he narrowed between the sprind pads and welded. He didn't have any trouble with it and ran it until he desided he wanted to 4wd it. What kind of spinles, brakes and suspension do you plan on running? If you weld one together you'd probably ought to 4 bar it because radius rods would allow that twisting motion in the center and the short distance between the radius rod ends would exagerate it even more. To complicate things even more the dropped "I" beam axels are a copy of the '32 - "36 width and spring/radius rod mounting. they had the shortest distance between radius rod bosses and the longest distance from the bosses to the kingpins. If you were going to try and narrow one you might be better to use a '41 - '48 as it will have the longest distance between the bosses. Also keep in mind that being that narrow a tread width the back/inside of your tires might hit something on a sharp corner turn. If you're planing this for a Crosley I'd be thinking about "struts". McPherson had an idea. GPster

J Man

Quote from: "GPster"If you're planing this for a Crosley I'd be thinking about "struts". McPherson had an idea. GPster

It would be for the Crosley. Could you explain more on the McPherson thing. Also on the spindles brakes, not sure yet. Maybe Ford with aftermarket disc brakes.

kb426

Go to Art Morrissons's or Strange Engineering's websites and see what they have to offer. I've put some on supergas class cars before. You'll need a jig to hold the spindle in place and then fab around them with tubing for mounts. They have different bends of tubing to make your life easier. THey use light weight hubs on them which is a plus if you're concerned about unsprung weight.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

when I look at that axle picture 2 things come to mind . Hydrogen embrittlement from the chroming ,and possibly the reversed spindle suicide mount axle caused the ackerman to be way off . I cant tell if the steering arms were bent to correct the ackerman or not .Could years of use with incorrect(possibly backwards) ackerman angle cause stress cracking or would it just burn up tires on cornering? When I was at the march meet in 2005 I took a picture of a suicide axle with the ackerman backwards on a T in the parking lot. I wanted to show my students the photo to show that just because some things bolt together that doesnt mean that it has to work properly.

Dave

Id bet the wrong akerman would just chew the tires up.. That pic had some failure driver made or other..
Dave

J Man

What kind of axle does and early Anglia have? Anyone know how wide it is?

I am sure a tube axle could be narrowed how about a beam axle? would it be safe?

enjenjo

Quote from: "J Man"What kind of axle does and early Anglia have? Anyone know how wide it is?

I am sure a tube axle could be narrowed how about a beam axle? would it be safe?

They have a little tiny I beam, with a wishbone and transverse spring. The tread width is about 48" I have an axle only in my pile of parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

I think I found just the thing you're looking for at K-Zoo...I remember asking Dave to take a photo of it ....( he has a "High-tech" camera...Lots more buttons than mine ..)  Did Dave remember  :?:  :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I think I found just the thing you're looking for at K-Zoo...I remember asking Dave to take a photo of it ....( he has a "High-tech" camera...Lots more buttons than mine ..)  Did Dave remember  :?:  :?:  :?:

Bob I looked a couple times and all I saw was independant stuff.. Maybe i shoulda came and got you to show me eggxactly where it was..  Sorry pal.
Dave

UGLY OLDS

J-Man...What I saw looked like a S/B tube axle about 36" wide...Had spring perch & king pin holes in the proper places...As I remember the spindles & tie rod & drag link was there also...Same size as on a real front end ...only narrower....It was part of the Borgenson steering joint display..They had it set up to show how all the front end components work together....I remember seeing someplace that S/B will make any width tube axle you want.....Hope it helps.......
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

J Man

Ugly Olds
I know MAS will make any width tube axle, then S/B would give me another option. I will keep that in mind if I decide to go with a tube. I just prefer the look of a beam axle.

Enjenjo
I am headed up your way probibly Sunday to pick up a A frame section If you will be around maybe I could stop by and check out that axle. Let me know if you will be around.