Mustang II IFS, custom build

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 15, 2007, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

lets hash out this subject again.

1948 Simca, front suspension unbolts.  
Frame width at the cross member area is 18.5 inches outside to outside.
Track width OEM of the Simca , about 49 inches.

Not any brake upgrades for the Simca suspension that I have found.  Not many rebuild parts either.  Suspension is a upper lever / knee shock  action design.  Coil spring is enclosed I guess

I have the instructions and drawings that El Polocko posted on the HAMB a couple years back.

I've never built a cross member before, I may give it a shot on this car for S&G's
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Hmmmm, i'm thinking you really want to make a gasser out of it and i have a straight axle that's about 39" from kingpin to kingpin!  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat46"Hmmmm, i'm thinking you really want to make a gasser out of it and i have a straight axle that's about 39" from kingpin to kingpin!  :lol:

that would be near the correct width i need..

i still have my Ford spindles & brakes

:shock:
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"lets hash out this subject again.

Not any brake upgrades for the Simca suspension that I have found.  Not many rebuild parts either.  Suspension is a upper lever / knee shock  action design.  Coil spring is enclosed I guess

I have the instructions and drawings that El Polocko posted on the HAMB a couple years back.

I've never built a cross member before, I may give it a shot on this car for S&G's

HAHAHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
that ought to wizz in the wheaties of a colorado guy!!!!

gonna send him pics?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

HAHAHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
that ought to wizz in the wheaties of a colorado guy!!!!

gonna send him pics?

tom.... you have evil thoughts. ...:twisted:

he has been sending my email crap about various cars and suggestions on the Simca rebuild.

I will be sending him a message
Tony

DrJ

MGB has a bolt in crossmember front suspension with a 49" track.
Similar design found on MG Midget/AH Sprite at 45.75" track.
Disc brakes, R &P steering, MGB uses common 4 by 4 1/2 " bolt pattern (most RWD Datsun/Nissan, 240Z etc.)

Maybe that's an option...

Doing brakes (replacing all the 35 year old rubber parts) on my MGB GT right now.

Quote from: "Crosley"lets hash out this subject again.

tomslik

hey cros, drj rang a bell.....how about an opel gt frt suspension?
transverse leaf spring, disc brakes,etc
i don't have any pics or specs but the fit might be close...just something to think about
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

J Man

I am running into the same issue on a Crosley I picked up. Enjenjo suggested to me a Chevette/Fiero setup but not making too much progress at this time. I am trying to get to a 40" track width which is the stock Crosley width.

Flipper

Does anybody remember a yellow crosley wagon that had a mazda rotary in it. ....maybe 10-15 years ago.

What did it use for the front suspension?

DrJ

Quote from: "tomslik"hey cros, drj rang a bell.....how about an opel gt frt suspension?
transverse leaf spring, disc brakes,etc
i don't have any pics or specs but the fit might be close...just something to think about

That sounds good too!
I was thinking cross leaf IFS to begin with but couldn't remember who had them other than early AC & Cobras.
Also to be considered is replacables availability... Moss Motors and others carry parts for the MG stuff, don't know about the "other brands".

Crosley.In.AZ

availability of parts is something on my mind....

Not many Opal GT vehicles around any more that i have seen.

I actually like the idea ( for now)   :D  of the straight axle ,  Mayb hairpins , 1/4 elliptic springs  , or coil overs.... I do have the  Super Bell Ford type spindles, brakes & hubs.

The colorado fellow interested in the car has suggested an MGB power train conversion...... hell , I will cut up that pretty and fully  stock OE firewall for a V8.  Build a new X member for the frame to toughen it up
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Flipper"Does anybody remember a yellow crosley wagon that had a mazda rotary in it. ....maybe 10-15 years ago.

What did it use for the front suspension?

I believe that Crosley wagon used the OE suspension / axle / disc brakes w/different calipers.

I think the fellow "Z'd" the frame in the front to lower the car's nose.

There are two different front axles for the Crosley.  early were 1/2 inch king pins... later were 5/8 inch
Tony

Glen

Tony, at one time Rob had a very narrow solid axle, IIRC I think it was an Anglia axle?

GPster

Go to the junkyard and look at various Ford Ranger ( ''84 >) front axels and get 2 halves and wled them together for the width you need. Or  you could just take tha spind;e assembleys and the ball joint mounting ends and manufacture a dropped tube for the middle. That would give you disc brakes, 5 x 4 1/2", ball joints, tie rod ends snd some camber adjustment and what ever widthh you want. GPster

DrJ

I don't know their width, but I just thought about VW trailing arm torsion bar front ends.

A couple of L brackets bolted to what you've alredy got to bolt the VW X member to and your done.

Even a VW steering box clamps to the torsion bar tube.

Parts will be available for ever...