Mustang II IFS, custom build

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 15, 2007, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"Tony, at one time Rob had a very narrow solid axle, IIRC I think it was an Anglia axle?

I could probably trade Rob 1 or 2 cars for the axle...  :wink:   :wink:

(inside joke... Glen knows)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley".... I do have the  Super Bell Ford type spindles, brakes & hubs.
At one time you used-to-be able to buy forged (?) axel ends from Speedway  that had a kingpin inclination already machined in them. I don't know if they were for Ford spindals but I wouldn't be surprtsed if they were. Might be a way to go if you already have the other parts. GPster

DrJ

There's a thread on the HAMB right now about using Fiat 850 IFS.
That would be a natural from the family for a Fiat/Simca car.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196153

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "DrJ"There's a thread on the HAMB right now about using Fiat 850 IFS.
That would be a natural from the family for a Fiat/Simca car.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196153

Interesting design.... I did not know the 850 had that under the front end.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Going back to the original concept, you could narrow a Mustang II crossmember . The "King" and I had a discussion about hqw the strut rods could be set-up to face foreward (in front of the crossmember) and would miss the rack and pinion tie rods and their movement. You could take a stoct manual steering rack and shorten/splice it in the tube center. That would allow it to be mounted in the stock mounting holes (if you had narrowed the crossmember in the center)  and a machinist could shorten and re-thread the rackon the passenger end. With stock mounting and correct shortening the arc of the rack ends would be such that you wouldn't creat bump-steer. The ideas come faster than I can type looking with one eye. GPster