check your fire extinguishers!

Started by oiler, July 08, 2007, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

Grinding on some body mounts for the Tudor today and I ignited a small pan of varsol that I had been using to clean some trans. parts.
The flame ignited a box of kim towels that hung above my bench and spread into the above shelfs with all kinds of burnable crap.
If I hadn't had a fully charged fire ext. hanging nearby the family and me would be sleeping in a hotel and we'd be sifting the ashes
be careful out there
Jeff

Fift4fe

Oiler

Good for you.  I addressed this issue about a year ago.  Not only should you have extinguishers of the proper type, and size,  they should be charged, readily accessable and properly mounted (near the door) with a sign above the extinguisher(s).  Although you may know where they are located in your garage, visitors should also be able to see where they are at.  It does no good to have them in a drawer, on the floor in the corner, out of the way, etc.  When you need an extinguisher you need it now, you may not have time to look for it.

We respond to about one garage fire a year, that was caused by grinding, welding, cutting, etc.  When I ask the owner about the extinguisher it was usually not working, or the fire happened so fast that they didn't have time to find it.  They just una$$ the building and call 911.

Depending on the material ignited you may not have enough time to stay and try to extinguish the fire.

One of our local hot rod guys has a fully sprinklered (fire suppressed) garage where he does all his work, but he also has some high dollar cars stored there.  Pretty neat idea.

Be careful out there.
OVER!
OVER?

Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Crosley.In.AZ

Jeff,

glad all is OK.

that is tooo much excitement for me

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Where I work, we can buy any size FE from the Getz guy that comes around, cheaper than what the factory can get them for (they tell us it's an incentive).  When/if we use them, the company pays to have them tested and refilled.  I used to just have a 2 pounder in the garage, but now also have a 5 #; one on each side of the entrance door.  The little ones can be used up pretty fast.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chopped

Anyone know how long they last? I've had some for a few years.

Fift4fe

By fire code, if a extinguisher is required (commercial buildings, assemblies, etc.) they must be checked annually by a reputable fire extinguisher company.  As long as your gauge shows you have pressure in the extinguisher you should be OK but again gauges can go bad.  As a minimum you should have two (2) five (5) lb ABC type extinguishers in your garage.  A twenty (20) lb extinguisher might be needed in larger garages with a higher fire load, but they can be bulky to handle especially if the little woman is your back-up.

Don't scrimp on extinguishers.  Its your first line of defense.  Make sure they have a gauge and are not the small type they sell at Wally World for kitchen use.  Go big or go home. . . . .  

If you carry a dry chemical or ABC type extinguisher in your vehicle it is recommended that you "fluff" (no S/A comments) the extinguisher yearly.  The vibration of the vehicle somewhat packs the extinguishing agent in the entinguisher and they can become a solid block especially if moisture has infiltrated the extinguisher.  You should flip the extinguisher back and forth (top to bottom) and be able to hear the powder move in the unit.

Extinguishers are a cheap and less aggravating than dealing with insurance agents and builders after the fact.

Good luck
OVER!
OVER?

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Fift4fe"

Don't scrimp on extinguishers.  Its your first line of defense.  Make sure they have a gauge and are not the small type they sell at Wally World for kitchen use.  Go big or go home. . . . .  

Extinguishers are a cheap and less aggravating than dealing with insurance agents and builders after the fact.

Good luck

Good advise, cheap insurance.  carry 2 myself. one it the trunk, one behind the drivers seat. 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

donsrods

I also carry one in my rod, and one day I saw a pickup on the side of the road with the bed on fire.  Did a u turn, and put it out for him.  Otherwise he was just going to stand there helplessly.  He had thrown a cigarette out and it landed in the bed on some flammable stuff.

I don't think they make them any more, because of the ozone layer thing, but I used to keep Halon fire extinquishers in the shop.  They do not put that baking soda dirt all over the thing you are extinquishing, and put it out like RIGHT NOW.  I am not sure what the replacement is for Halon, and have to look into it to add a couple more to the shop.

Don

HotRodLadyCrusr

I just bought a package of two nice size fire extinguishers at Costco for $17.99.  Both for the garage.  I already have two in Big Olds, one in the trunk for backup and one mounted on the floor between my drivers seat and the door.  Easily accessable without even taking my seatbelt off.

I do have plans on picking up two more, another one for the kitchen and one for the basement.

I do have a question for the "experts" in the field on this issue.  How long are they good for if they are never used??
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Easily accessable without even taking my seatbelt off.

Kinda like the case of beer and the bag of ice from the Cinematic :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Fift4fe

Don

Halon 1211 replacement is Halotron.  Some say just as good as Halon without the damage to the Ozone.  Expensive but no cleanup,  but then again CO2 extinguishers can be used in certain applications (Class C - electrical fires)

PASS technique - Pull (the pin), Aim (at the base of the fire), Squeeze (the activation handle) and Sweep.
OVER!
OVER?

Fift4fe

How many are aware of CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Title 29, Part 1910 (OSHA) Section 157, Paragraphs g 1 & 2. ?

"When the employer has provided portable fire extinguishers for employee use in the workplace, the employer shall also provide an educational program to familiarize employees with the general principles of fire extinguisher use and the hazards involved with incipient stage fire fighting"

"The employer shall provide the education required....upon initial employment and at least annually thereafter"
OVER!
OVER?

58 Yeoman

Our company has safety meeting every month.  For the September meetings, we go to the fire training grounds, where we mix diesel fuel and gas, and pour it onto a large water pit.  The newbies get to use the powder ext.'s to put out the fire (usually get 3 to 4 relights), then use the fire hose to cool things down.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Just a few years ago I had a blown steel Willys catch on fire in my shop.  Some of you may have seen this car at some of the Goodguy events.  It is red and says "Suicide Ride" on the doors.   It was probably the most expensive car I have worked on.  A cheap fire extinguisher saved the car and my shop.  That afternoon I bought a shopping cart load of extinguishers for the shop.  Now I say you can not swing a hammer without hitting an extinguisher. (not exactly true but nearly so)

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

donsrods

Quote from: "Fift4fe"Don

Halon 1211 replacement is Halotron.  Some say just as good as Halon without the damage to the Ozone.  Expensive but no cleanup,  but then again CO2 extinguishers can be used in certain applications (Class C - electrical fires)

PASS technique - Pull (the pin), Aim (at the base of the fire), Squeeze (the activation handle) and Sweep.

Halon was amazing.  The engine in my Sons '65 Olds caught fire one day as we were working on it.  I grabbed a halon extinquisher and did a short burst test shot at the flames, and they were gone!!  It snuffed the flames out like right now.  I have seen engines where a CO2 extinquisher was used, and it leaves white residue all over the place.  But it is sure better than the alternative.

BTW, good advice on the fire extinquishers settling to the bottom.  I came out of the marine industry, and when the Coast Guard boards your boat and checks the fire extinquishers, they do two things: 1) check the gauge to see if it is in the green, and 2) turn it upside down and bang it on their hand to see if they hear a solid clump of material drop down.  The stuff settles to the bottom over time, and the gauge may read full, but the extinquisher can still be no good if the agent isn't loose inside the bottle.

Don