check your fire extinguishers!

Started by oiler, July 08, 2007, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "Fift4fe"How many are aware of CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Title 29, Part 1910 (OSHA) Section 157, Paragraphs g 1 & 2. ?

"When the employer has provided portable fire extinguishers for employee use in the workplace, the employer shall also provide an educational program to familiarize employees with the general principles of fire extinguisher use and the hazards involved with incipient stage fire fighting"

"The employer shall provide the education required....upon initial employment and at least annually thereafter"

Now thats interesting.. With all the B/S classes we have here (i had to go to ladder climbing training) no one has ever said or given a course on the proper use of a fire extingusher.
Dave

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Fift4fe"How many are aware of CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Title 29, Part 1910 (OSHA) Section 157, Paragraphs g 1 & 2. ?

"When the employer has provided portable fire extinguishers for employee use in the workplace, the employer shall also provide an educational program to familiarize employees with the general principles of fire extinguisher use and the hazards involved with incipient stage fire fighting"

"The employer shall provide the education required....upon initial employment and at least annually thereafter"

It is done at the company I work for.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

sirstude

The technique is tested on here, just no training.  We have to take an annual group of tests and that is part of it, finished up mine yesterday.

Doug

ps, and yes I have them scattered all around my shop, will have to shake some of them though I think
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

We have no formal fire training but we work in an office environment....We also have had multiple, supervised fire drills since last spring...Brings a new meaning to the term " Chinese Fire Drill" ..A few weeks ago the local fire marshall walked in the front door un-announced & pulled the fire alarm...Everyone kept working... :shock:  :shock: We had 185 "casualties" ..The fire marshall was .."Less than impressed"  :lol:  :lol: The boss was ...ah..."Upset"... :evil:  :evil:

After reading this post I have turned over ALL my dry-powder extinguishers & even checked both my soda-acid "antiques"...
Hey Vance....Do Carbon-Tet "grenades" need to be tested  :?:  :?:  ( I hope NOT  :!:  :!: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

61bone

If you have carbon tet extinguishers in your shop post large signs by each entry saying so. They produce poisonous gas on contact with heat. :cry:
I believe they are illegal for that reason. Check your local fire codes.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

After reading this post I have turned over ALL my dry-powder extinguishers & even checked both my soda-acid "antiques"...
Hey Vance....Do Carbon-Tet "grenades" need to be tested  :?:  :?:  ( I hope NOT  :!:  :!: )

I'm not sure if they do or not :?
Don't see many of those down this way.

I'll ask a couple Fire Fighter buddies :idea:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

EMSjunkie

OK, I spoke with a District Chief, he told me that Carbon-Tet "bombs" have been out lawed for about 20 years :shock:

they do produce a poisonious gas when exposed to heat :x

so be very careful when handling them :idea:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"OK, I spoke with a District Chief, he told me that Carbon-Tet "bombs" have been out lawed for about 20 years :shock:

Vance

Trust me...the "Bombs" are for display only ...In the original  wall cabinet..The soda acids are also ,( Although they are charged & "operational") ,  We have dry chemical in the kitchen, utility room, front garage, all cars & 3-- 25# dry chemical's in the rear shop...

The procedure is simple...Call 911--Get Mama out..Use up the extinguishers...At that point , walk across the road & "watch it go".....

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"OK, I spoke with a District Chief, he told me that Carbon-Tet "bombs" have been out lawed for about 20 years :shock:

Vance

Trust me...the "Bombs" are for display only ...In the original  wall cabinet..The soda acids are also ,( Although they are charged & "operational") ,  We have dry chemical in the kitchen, utility room, front garage, all cars & 3-- 25# dry chemical's in the rear shop...

The procedure is simple...Call 911--Get Mama out..Use up the extinguishers...At that point , walk across the road & "watch it go".....

I unnerstand 8)

I think there are a couple "bombs" still on the wall in my Dad's shop :shock:
been there for years, thankfully never had to use them :-o

I remember those soda-acid extinguishers. converted a couple for use as water sprayers when I raced dirt track :wink:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

UGLY OLDS

One of my soda acid's is polished...the other is "NOS" , complete with a 1959 inspection tag AND a "recharge" kit  8) ....A lucky find..... :D

Rayvyn

Vance

Very true. Carbon Tetrachloride is a derivative of Hexacloroethane, which when mixed with heat causes a cacinogen which can be absorbed through the skin, by breathing, or ingestion. It causes fairly rapid respiratory, kidney and liver failure if the exposure isn't minimized immediately, and even death with prolonged exposure.

Carbon Tet was used by the Japanese in rifle and artillery fired 'candles'. The exposure on the U.S. troops was minimized because of the mountainous terrain and a small Japanese supply of the chemical, but it would cause breathing problems, rendering our ability to fight. The Japs also mastered the art of shooting these 'candles' well away from the enemy and letting the wind carry the chemical over and into our troops. They also used them on the Chinese.

Alot of the fire grenades made after the Korean War contained alternative chemicals such as CM-7 and CBM, which are far less dangerous when people are exposed to it, and alot of the old grenades contained muriatic ammonia, powdered bromo selzter or salt water.
The military still uses Carbon Tet in grenades, smoke canisters and thermite explosives, because it suppresses flame while being burned off. The grenades were supposed to be thrown on a source of smoke before a flame was spotted, not thrown onto a direct flame.

Hexacloroethane is also used to treat alloy metals during processing to remove air and water vapors, and it is also a base chemical for Nerve Gas.
IED's (we called them RODEO's - remotely detonated explosive ordinances) in Iraq have been found to contain Carbon Tet, because the bastards are taking the chemical from the old military grenades and packing it with the propellant from the old artillery and mortar rounds. (Don't ask me how I know this)
The propellant explodes at an almost magnesium temperature, altering the Carbon Tet into a noxious gas that is spread by the force of the blast. The particles also find their way onto the shrapnel.

We know how many men and women have suffered physically from these IED's, but the honchos in charge don't put out the numbers of troops suffering from internal burns and respiratory problems.
Remember Desert Storm, when a number of troops have claimed they were gassed and are suffering Agent Orange like symptoms, but the Gov't has dismissed this claim?  The problems suffered by most of these claimants are identical to symptoms that are caused by prolonged exposure to Carbon Tet.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

UGLY OLDS

Bry, this is kinda OT , but I will NEVER understand how our troops are expected to resolve the issue in the Middle East when they have to follow a policy of :
" Hi..You look like a bad guy...Can I have your name & number before you shoot at me so I can shoot back " ??  AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!   :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: