Viewed a Private Collection - Pictures

Started by msuguydon, February 17, 2007, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

I know this is a bit Off Topic but it is car related.  

This morning I had the very unique experience of being able to see a about 1/3 of the private car collection of Don Smith.  This collection is rumored to be the premier open wheel and Indy 500 memorbellia collection.  On the Indy 500 front his collection maybe 2nd to the actual museum at the Track, but I am not so sure.  I am not a Indy 500 kinda guy so I am sure I did not appreciate many of the items I saw today but never the less it was an amazing morning.  

A tad bit of background,  Don is 80 years old, he was the promoter of the Terre Haute, Action Track when it was in its hay day, and for 10 years with his partner Rich Root.  Owned the SUMAR race team that campaigned Indy Style Race cars, Mid 50'3 to early 60's.

I was only able to see 3 of the 10 or more buildings he has.  This was the second time anyone outside his family or close friends have ever seen the collection.

Here is a taste of what I saw.

Hope you guys enjoy !

Building Number 1

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

msuguydon

msuguydon

Don's other Hobby is Hunting and Fishing.

Just Stuff

msuguydon

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

msuguydon

Quote from: "Crosley"little bit of everything in there

8)

GOT that right, I got more pictures if you all want to see them.. that was just building One!

msuguydon

Building Two

All of the buildings have these large garage doors.  The fronts are painted with these murals, I was told that the artist took approx 350 hrs to paint each door.  

The back side of the doors, inside, are covered with snap shot pictures.

msuguydon

msuguydon

Building Two - continued

I laughed when I saw this go-car collection, in racks with car covers!

msuguydon

Okay, our tour continues

Building 3 - Newer Stuff

msuguydon

Dave

Dam don i just peed my pants :D  :D  I love anything indy. Fenders make me itch :lol:  8).. Thats cool .. the action track .. T/H ...I hate you..........
Dave

msuguydon

Quote from: "jusjunk"Dam don i just peed my pants :D  :D  I love anything indy. Fenders make me itch :lol:  8).. Thats cool
Dave

Glad you liked it, you are now one of not to many who have seen this stuff.  It needs to be displayed!

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Dam don i just peed my pants :D  :D  I love anything indy. Fenders make me itch :lol:  8).. Thats cool
Dave

Glad you liked it, you are now one of not to many who have seen this stuff.  It needs to be displayed!

Hey if it ever comes available again to view and you know in advance please let me know ill drive down in a heart beat..
Dave

alchevy

Reminds me of the trip I took back in 2005 and saw the private collection of Gene Ponder in Marshall, TX: http://www.astreetrodder.com/gpcollection.htm

His was mostly Itailian cars.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com