strut rods

Started by tomslik, January 21, 2007, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

anybody have/know of an outlet for MII OEM strut rods?

and what do ya think about a MII under a 62 chevy PU?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rooster

Quote from: "tomslik"anybody have/know of an outlet for MII OEM strut rods?

You might try Fatman.  :D

enjenjo

JPL racing has them.

I think a Mustang is a bit light for carrying a load.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I think the mustang II control arms are a bit light duty.

Seems like I have read that folks have installed 70 & 80's cross members from 1/2 ton GM trucks into the early 60's trucks
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"JPL racing has them.

I think a Mustang is a bit light for carrying a load.

that's kinda what i was thinking (i tend to use a truck as a truck)

i don't really want to subframe it and a 71-up PU crossmember is another option but i don't want to buy any dropped spindles...how about some thoughts on the matter???

fatman?
uh, no....,.

GPster

Quote from: "tomslik"a 71-up PU crossmember is another option but i don't want to buy any dropped spindles...how about some thoughts on the matter???uh, no....,.
Back in the "dark ages" there used to be a way to modify the pick-up lower "A" frames that re-mounted the lower ball joint higher up allowing the spindle higher up so that the stock spindle rode higher with with stock length springs and the lower "A" frame level with the ground. It would of course have the upper "A" frame riding in strange angles but I wouldn't be surprised if someone knows of car splindles that is shorter and have decent brakes and fit the trunk ball joints. The other day you where dealing with AMCs. Maybe you could find a junk Pacer with a 401. They have a front crossmember that is re-movable and Chassis Engineering used to suggest them for some of the wider, heavier conversions.GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Are you wanting to lower the truck or simply update the suspension & brakes for a daily driver?

what are your plans for use?

do you have plans?

six lug or five pattern for the wheels?

:?  ~:)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

please provide more info on your usage plans?

is this a fair grounds show truck only?  I know you enjoy the sit & whines at these events.
Tony

sirstude

Speedway has the stock replacement stuff, just for information
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "tomslik"a 71-up PU crossmember is another option but i don't want to buy any dropped spindles...how about some thoughts on the matter???uh, no....,.
Back in the "dark ages" there used to be a way to modify the pick-up lower "A" frames that re-mounted the lower ball joint higher up allowing the spindle higher up so that the stock spindle rode higher with with stock length springs and the lower "A" frame level with the ground. It would of course have the upper "A" frame riding in strange angles but I wouldn't be surprised if someone knows of car splindles that is shorter and have decent brakes and fit the trunk ball joints. The other day you where dealing with AMCs. Maybe you could find a junk Pacer with a 401. They have a front crossmember that is re-movable and Chassis Engineering used to suggest them for some of the wider, heavier conversions.GPster

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! a junk pacer with a 401!!!!!!!!
gooooood one......of course if you find some, let me know;)

btw, have you ever rebuilt a pacer?
IF you can find parts, they B spendy....
rebuilding a 62 1/2ton and converting to disc brakes ain't gonna be cheap either....
Crosley, about those "plans"....i'm not gonna pay to sit on somebody else's asphalt....
really, as far as plans, i want it substantially lower than stock but i don't want to cut the frame PLUS it's gotta be cheap and parts readilly availabe( read that as cheap).
if it wasn't in a snowbank right now, i'd measure the rear and see if this explorer (3.73/posi) rear is a cadidate (CCP makes the angled perches) in which case 4 1/2" bolt pattern rotor would be nice...

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"

please provide more info on your usage plans?

is this a fair grounds show truck only?  

cros, you don't know ME very well, do ya?

#1,i'm not afraid of gravel so that leaves the "show" out....
#2, as i said before, i use a truck as a truck (and it'll get a trailer hitch too.)
i think i'll be needing some sway bars too;)
we have fun back roads....

one of the reasons i'm asking now is that it's swap meet season...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

cros, you don't know ME very well, do ya?...

sure,  I talked to you for 11 minutes one time face to face.

You like the sit & whines at car shows, bubble baths and scented candles.

:shock:

:ha)

what is a snow bank?  credit union thing?

Sounds like you want a truck similar to the 71 swb chev I had... I lowered it some but you could still drive it on dirt roads.

I installed a large front sway bar on the front. Found a sway bar off a Ford product for the rear.  The 71 would corner dang well if you pushed it.  4 wheel disc brakes on it for a while, went back to drum brakes on the rear end
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"

cros, you don't know ME very well, do ya?...

sure,  I talked to you for 11 minutes one time face to face.

You like the sit & whines at car shows, bubble baths and scented candles.

:shock:

:oops: uh, the bubbles and the scent wern't from soap OR candles

:ha)

what is a snow bank?  credit union thing?

:x how about i make a deposit on yer door?
i'm sick of this white *...

Sounds like you want a truck similar to the 71 swb chev I had... I lowered it some but you could still drive it on dirt roads.

I installed a large front sway bar on the front. Found a sway bar off a Ford product for the rear.  The 71 would corner dang well if you pushed it.  4 wheel disc brakes on it for a while, went back to drum brakes on the rear end

oh yeah, my wife was standing behind me as i was looking at the bottom pic and said "that's pretty" and then i scrolled up to the top one and said the hood ornement looked even better....
N.P.T. :roll:

enjenjo

Ok, we used to lower the front of them by welding a tube to the ball joint hole in the lower A frame, and mount the ball joint higher.

Does a 62 have coil springs, or torsion bars? If springs, you can cut a coil, and use shorter shocks.

If you go to the 73 up spindles, a 72 Grand Marquis rotor will bolt on, and had the 4 1/2" bolt pattern.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, we used to lower the front of them by welding a tube to the ball joint hole in the lower A frame, and mount the ball joint higher.

Does a 62 have coil springs, or torsion bars? If springs, you can cut a coil, and use shorter shocks.

If you go to the 73 up spindles, a 72 Grand Marquis rotor will bolt on, and had the 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

torsion bars and by 73 up, you mean chevy PU right?