Another one lost

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, December 28, 2006, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

One memory I'll  always have at b'ville had nothing to do with the racing.  It was being in the buffet line behind Don, Carps, and River1 and hoping there would be some food left :twisted: .

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"One memory I'll  always have at b'ville had nothing to do with the racing.  It was being in the buffet line behind Don, Carps, and River1 and hoping there would be some food left :twisted: .

c ya,

Sum

i guess there wasn't :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"One memory I'll  always have at b'ville had nothing to do with the racing.  It was being in the buffet line behind Don, Carps, and River1 and hoping there would be some food left :twisted: .

c ya,

Sum

i guess there wasn't :lol:

Usually not much. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

Quote from: "1FATGMC"One memory I'll  always have at b'ville had nothing to do with the racing.  It was being in the buffet line behind Don, Carps, and River1 and hoping there would be some food left

We had a good laugh about that every time we spoke.  Behind Don at the Salad Bar was not the place you wanted to be.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Most of the good memories are not car related, coz it's the people, people like Don, who make the car stuff worth doing and life worth living.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

WZ JUNK

I had visited with Don in the past on the net, but our first face to face was at Bonneville in 2002.  We all went for a pizza buffet that night.  It was a great evening and he made it even better.   I will miss him and his laugh.  I have thought of him often today.

Gods speed.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Mr348

I joined the message board specifically to recognize my dear friend Don Palfreyman. Having been around hot rods since birth I have got to know a lot of guys in this hobby and Don was most certainly one of the best I ever met. I had the pleasure of traveling from Utah to Pleasanton, CA in 02' with my just finished deuce roadster and that is where I met this giant of a man and instantly became friends. Don was a guy that always would shake your hand when you would see him and he never forgot a name. His big smile and deep laugh will always be in my heart and memories. I became a Goodguys Redders Rep because of Don. He was a great inspiration and I miss him so much. We talked often and I really regret not calling him on Christmas as I had planned. We in Utah have known that he only had a short time for quite awhile but we were not prepared for his passing. Please keep posting your stories of this great man. He will never be forgotten in the hearts of some of us. Thank you for giving me this place to let off some of my feelings. I am sad and struggling to get through. God Bless my fallen friend!
~Jeff Cornick

1FATGMC

Kroozn (Carl) sent me these pictures and asked me to post them, so here goes with Carl's comments, Sum

One of Don trying to steal the shop tour sign.
I gave it to him later. (this was at the Vegas Goodguys)

One of us on the Salt back when we were young...99? LOL (Don Jr., Carl, Sumner, Don Sr., and Mickey -- I have to say Don Sr. is the best looking one in the bunch, Sum.)

The 3rd pic is a backwards shot of a pic I can not find.
Your truck and Don's coupe were side by side. This just shows the rear of the coupe and none of your truck.
Do you have a front shot?  ( I found the picture and it is the one above, Don Jr's Coupe on the left, then Don Sr.'s '34 and then my pickup, Sum)

That was a fun trip to Vegas and I had a good time with Don and the rest of the guys.  Carl if you don't mind here are two pages about Don on my site, Sum:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/temp-pictures/temppictures6.html

and

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/temp-pictures/temppictures3.html

I use to kid him about that breakdown in Moab a lot and he got back by posting a picture of me having to fix my teardrop on the salt :wink: .  I told my wife I never met someone so positive all the time and I truly mean that,  Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for posting the photos guys...... );b(
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Looks like Carl did a fine job of waxing the pavement in front of his shop.  I guess that's what you do when you've got hot roddin' royalty come to visit.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Bob K

Just got this email from Linda outlining the funeral arrangments. Also got an email from Lurker Mick. There are a bunch of guy's getting Don's 34 ready so that one of his sons can drive it to the funeral.

Bob,

This is to inform you of the passing of Don Palfreyman. His battle with Cancer is over and he has moved on to the great burnout in the sky. There will be a viewing held for Don on Tuesday, 02 January 07 from 6 to 8 p.m., and Wednesday 03 January from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m.followed by the funeral at 11:00.  Services are being held at Lindquest Mortuary, 3408 Washinghton BLVD.  Ogden Ut, 84401.  We would like to tahnk you for helping make Don's memories bright and fun. He loved his cars and car "BUDDIES".  Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Linda Palfreyman

B :cry: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Topsterguy

never had the pleasure of knowing him, but I sure wish I would have - sounds like he was a pretty cool guy! Sure had the right idea of what hot rods are for!  RIP Don.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

av8

A small reunion within a reunion . . .

Pals from the 2000 Hot Rods and Haute Cruisine Tour -- River1, Aisle7, and OFOF at the CHRR last year.

You are sorely missed and fondly remembered, Don. RIP.

Mike

Brootal

Don was one of the first hot rodders I met in the US. We were in Vegas during part of our three month honeymoon and had gone into town to check out what was going on. Noticed a bunch of hot rods parked and had to go check it out.

Headed straight to this REALLY nice black '34 coupe. I asked a bunch of guys if any of them owned it, and some big guy with a white moustache calls out: "You must be Brootal!" :)

The next day a bunch of us caught up at Carl's place and then headed out for breakfast and the Fuel & Gas Finals. It was an absolute highlight of my honeymoon (except for the 'other' stuff). :)

I had heard that Don was unwell and tried to send a couple of PMs, but never got replies and didn't see him around here much.

RIP, mate. You'll be missed by a lot of people. :(
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

sal37

I met Don in 2004 when Neil and visited the US and am very saddened to hear of his passing.  Don was a gentleman and great hotrodder and will be greatly missed.

Steve