car building stoopidity..... tranny stuff

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 06, 2006, 09:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

We had a tranny ( 700r4) return as a warranty claim... NO reverse. It was from one of our large distributors.

I Do a quick look at the tranny internals , pull most internal guts out .  All LOOKS great.

Something is tellling me to pull the valve body , so I do.   Hmmmm , check balls in the wrong places, oringinal gaskets on the v-body.  Somebody has been inside the v-body, not much else is wrong there.

I reassemble , then dyno the tranny..... No reverse , pressure drop is major in reverse .  This means a huge leak.

I gut the tranny and what do I find???

The purchaser must be building car ... they drilled through the floor pan , into the tranny case , through the tranny case into & completly through the low/reverse piston .

They then tapped the 1/2 inch  hole and threaded in some brass plug.   They bondo'd the problem area , then painted it  .....  Then they  sent it back to the distributor with a complaint of " no reverse" for a warranty claim.

oops.  What a DA car guy IMHO.

I have seen tranny cases with drill marks , even seen them with holes from too long of screws that penetrated the tranny case.

I have never seen this!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

openwheel65

Quote from: "Crosley"We had a tranny ( 700r4) return as a warranty claim... NO reverse. It was from one of our large distributors.

I Do a quick look at the tranny internals , pull most internal guts out .  All LOOKS great.

Something is tellling me to pull the valve body , so I do.   Hmmmm , check balls in the wrong places, oringinal gaskets on the v-body.  Somebody has been inside the v-body, not much else is wrong there.

I reassemble , then dyno the tranny..... No reverse , pressure drop is major in reverse .  This means a huge leak.

I gut the tranny and what do I find???
wish i would have thought of that when i drilled through bills new th350
The purchaser must be building car ... they drilled through the floor pan , into the tranny case , through the tranny case into & completly through the low/reverse piston .

They then tapped the 1/2 inch  hole and threaded in some brass plug.   They bondo'd the problem area , then painted it  .....  Then they  sent it back to the distributor with a complaint of " no reverse" for a warranty claim.

oops.  What a DA car guy IMHO.

I have seen tranny cases with drill marks , even seen them with holes from too long of screws that penetrated the tranny case.

I have never seen this!
T-BUCKIT  NUT

WZ JUNK

Tony, I can not believe someone would try to get away with something like this.  I would be curious to know who the builder is but you will probably never know.  They should stick to bondo work and leave the tranny stuff to someone else.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

IF "they" put the tranny into reverse with the engine running........ reverse would get near 150 psi at idle.  

Lots of tranny fluid would fly from the 1/2 inch hole they drilled

:lol:  :lol:

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Tony, I can not believe someone would try to get away with something like this.  I would be curious to know who the builder is but you will probably never know.  They should stick to bondo work and leave the tranny stuff to someone else.

John
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Normspeed

Would've been fun to hear the conversation that went along with that little booboo.

like, "Oops!   Darn it!   Heck!    errrr,  Grandadeo, do you have any JB Weld or a brass pipe plug...and some rags?"

Grandadeo

HEY, don't bring me into this.  At least I know I've got chrome knobs.  (Sorry guys - inside joke)

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

jaybee

"Wow, how could you send a trans out of your shop with big holes in it like that?"

I'm sure they'll deny it to their customer as long as no one has video of them doing it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Cword

Most frustrating is how a simple case of stupidity of inattentiveness turns into fraud and theft.
Mike
--

SKR8PN

I wanna know.... how in the world you could drill that far into something and NOT realize you were going thru the tranny case?????? :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

donsrods

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I wanna know.... how in the world you could drill that far into something and NOT realize you were going thru the tranny case?????? :shock:

I agree. There has got to be more to this story than meets the eye. I bet they were attempting some shade tree modification on the trans and it didn't work out.  If you were simply drilling a hole in your floor and you hit metal, you wouldn't keep going that deep. Someone was trying to add a probe or something to the tranny, then when it didn't work out they went "ooops."

What makes me think that is the hole being tapped at 1/2 inch for threads. That would sort of be a big hole to just "accidently" drill through into the case.

No, you have had some fledgling inventor at work on this one.

Don

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "donsrods"There has got to be more to this story than meets the eye. I bet they were attempting some shade tree modification on the trans and it didn't work out.  If you were simply drilling a hole in your floor and you hit metal, you wouldn't keep going that deep.
Don

Could be the guy's from Texas or Oklahoma and is used to drillin' til he hits oil.......................

Some peoples' kids!!! :roll:
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

tomslik

i think that's one of them there "inspection" holes.....

ya know, i could see drilling the case but.......
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Pep

Looks like a heat sensor installation that went wrong. I bet that's the last time Billybob gets entrusted with drilling anything anymore..I would love to hear the rest of the story after you showed the customer the forensic evidence :)
See Ya
Pep

slocrow

So, are you going to warranty a new 1/2" bit????????????? :roll:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"So, are you going to warranty a new 1/2" bit????????????? :roll:

Frank old buddy I was thinkin that just might be sumpin you would try :lol:  :lol:  8)  8) . Now ya cant blame the guy for trying. Id have skipped the plug though and just used the bondo..
:wink:
Dave :!:  :idea:  :arrow:  :-}