Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "N8DC"

Glad we got this back on topic!  Dave

Sorry Dave.  :oops:  :cry:

Didn't mean to get off-topic, just wanted to get my shots in at Raayvn
while I could.  :lol:

Vance

Im just as guilty as you are :oops:  :oops:
But now we have turned him into a some kind of mad scientest ?? We even have him trying to draw stuff :?:
Dave

I can see it now.........hunkered over a drafting table, one bright light shining on the paper, sweat beads forming on his brow........... :lol:

I was looking at Speedways website, I thought I saw in their catalog a mounting "tech tip" about the mounting angle. if I remember correctly, the more the shock is angled, the less effective it is.
I do remember on  my sprinter, the shocks were mounted straight up, something about unsprung weight and rebound effectiveness.

Now hes got me confused :!:  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Vance

But now we have turned him into a some kind of mad scientest ?? We even have him trying to draw stuff :?:
Dave

I can see it now.........hunkered over a drafting table, one bright light shining on the paper, sweat beads forming on his brow........... :lol:

I was looking at Speedways website, I thought I saw in their catalog a mounting "tech tip" about the mounting angle. if I remember correctly, the more the shock is angled, the less effective it is.
I do remember on  my sprinter, the shocks were mounted straight up, something about unsprung weight and rebound effectiveness.

Vance

The unsprung weight thing comes when you mount em upsode down i assume on the sprinter they were.
What are you gonna do next week when i go back to work.
:?:
Dave

EMSjunkie

Vance

Dave

Vance

The unsprung weight thing comes when you mount em upsode down i assume on the sprinter they were.
Dave

You are absolutely right Dave, they were mounted upside down.

I'm gonna miss ya Dave :cry:
hope you are on the road to long fun-filled life.
are you looking forward to returning to work?

I bet Sue is ready for you to go back :shock:

take it eazy, don't try to do too much too fast.

Don't make the boys in the big truck with flashy lights come and get you :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rayvyn

Vance

Dave

Vance

Dave

I'm about as scientific with drawings as a seeing eye dog using an Etch-a-Sketch after consuming a bucket of coffee... :idea:  :lol:

BTW-don't sprinters have W links in the rear?

He'll be lonely next week, that's for sure. He went broke paying people to talk to him. I hear the poison control center put him on hold when he called... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dave

I guess going back to work will give me sumpin to do till i can figure out a plan to retire :?:  You prolly dont know but sue is ready for me to go back to work but we work at the same place so she sees me all day long anyway :lol:  :lol: . Its not a case of getting me out of the house and away from her 8)  8)
I just talked to her a litle while ago and she told me forget the honey do's she had for me to do and try enjoying the rest of my time off. Well im gonna supprise her..
Later ......
got work to do fore i leave for the races...........
Dave

EMSjunkie

We used to run "bird cages" and "jacobs ladders" when I had mine.
don't really unnerstand what they did  :?  but I know it had sumpthin' to do with keeping the rear end located in the frame.

I remember my pit crew getting * when I'd "scrub" the wall with the right rear. 8)  :lol:
something to do with knocking the alingnment outta whack :roll:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"We used to run "bird cages" and "jacobs ladders" when I had mine.
don't really unnerstand what they did  :?  but I know it had sumpthin' to do with keeping the rear end located in the frame.

I remember my pit crew getting * when I'd "scrub" the wall with the right rear. 8)  :lol:
something to do with knocking the alingnment outta whack :roll:

Vance

The bird cage is what held  the axle bearing and the 4 bars to the rear axle.
Since its an open tube axle although we had an old solid axle one time you need a way to hold the rearend in the car thats where the bird cages come in. The jacobs ladder is just a high fullootin panhard rod system. Ive seen em used on street rods but dunno how they work or even if they do.
Ive had  lot of sperience with sprint cars and sometime more than i care to talk about :lol:  Being the head wrench and only wrench gets old in a hurry. Id do it again though with the right team with the right money. I learned injection and all about in out boxes and how to rebuild a quick change in one summer.
Dave

EMSjunkie

I know what happens when you touch rear wheels :!:  :shock:

somebody is fixin' to get upside down :x

I drove one for 2 seasons in the mid 90's
cast iron 360, normally aspirated, track rules stated you had to have a working electric starter. :roll:

was about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on 8)
my bro-in-law was my "crew chief" he had raced "super modifieds" back in the early and mid 70's.
was quite a learning curve from driving a street-stock.
had to learn how to steer it with the gas pedal :?

suspension wasn't quite as "forgiving" as the street-stock. :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

jaybee

Love the sprinters, they're absolutely wild.  the Knoxville Nationals are in progress here this week, big, big event.  A few of the teams stay about 4 blocks from my house, sometimes we see them working on the cars in the parking lot.

On the subject of shocks it is true that they are less effective as they lean over.  Put another way, 1" of wheel travel becomes less than 1" of shock travel.  Modern race cars nearly always have the shocks standing straight up, unless it's something special like a bellcrank suspension on an Indy car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jaybee"Love the sprinters, they're absolutely wild.  the Knoxville Nationals are in progress here this week, big, big event.  A few of the teams stay about 4 blocks from my house, sometimes we see them working on the cars in the parking lot.

I would give certain appendages to go to the Nats. :-o

I'm a big Sammy Swindell fan. 8)
Danny Woods used to run here in Amarillo a few years back, got to
put a slide job on him a time or two :shock:

post some pictures if ya can, I need a "winged wonder" fix :wink:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Love the sprinters, they're absolutely wild.  the Knoxville Nationals are in progress here this week, big, big event.  A few of the teams stay about 4 blocks from my house, sometimes we see them working on the cars in the parking lot.

I would give certain appendages to go to the Nats. :-o

I'm a big Sammy Swindell fan. 8)
Danny Woods used to run here in Amarillo a few years back, got to
put a slide job on him a time or two :shock:

post some pictures if ya can, I need a "winged wonder" fix :wink:

Vance

No way!  Sammy has been my hero for years. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Hope you got the pics and videos even though the videos were done with my digital . By the way they had a guy tow all the way from texas and he is going back to ohio this weekend to race and he had a guy crew chiefing by the name of Rick Ferkel  :!:
Dave
ps: ill take the camera saturday and get some good action shots on the 3/8 pavement..

Dave

Heres one for ya...... Track on the side of a hill... Too bad I didnt get the ones on thier wing shots ! :lol:  :lol:
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"Heres one for ya...... Track on the side of a hill... Too bad I didnt get the ones on thier wing shots ! :lol:  :lol:
Dave

Looks like about a 3/16th miler. Ya think the fans sit far enough away?

I've never driven in a race, but had the occasion to take a 360 on a few hot laps on an empty track here in Fla., and kicked up some dirt in Bridgeport, NJ driving a modified one afternoon.

I did take a ride with Jack Hewitt in his 2 seater 410 car down here during a winternationals show a few years ago. I won a raffle on the last drawing on the last night, and ended up spending the rest of the night in the pits with him and his wife. I ended up meeting Lasoski and Tony Stewart, Joey Soldana, Billy Wilburn, Swindell's kid (can't remember the name)and a bunch of others.The last I heard, Hewitt wasn't doing too well health wise, and one of his sons had taken a nasty spill in the car, so they quit running it.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

I love Sammys quiet style. he doesn't really say a whole lot, but you can tell by the intensity on his face.

I raced street stock for about 6 years. GM metric body, sbc, 350/glide
really limited by the class rules.

a buddy's buddy had a jenkins rolling chassis, complete with spare parts, for sale really cheap. 8)

shoulda stuck with the street stock.  :lol:

Thanks for the pictures and video Dave, I appreciate it

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Dave

Sitting that far back has its advantages. Less dirt! We got hammered at butler 2 weeks at the WOO show. The funny thing about this little fairgrounds track is the drivers come cause its fun! They really enjoy running here.
Dave
ps:Vance i hope them pics and stuff got thru i see they were returned and maybe they were too big for your server.