Frame kick-up

Started by Rayvyn, August 08, 2006, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I guessin' you didn't find anything to spend the taxpayers dollars on in L'ville  :lol:

there is a company not too awful far from you that sells fiberglass "replicars" for as little as $129.00 per month.  :shock:

so why wait, get started now building your dream car :-o

like you said Bry, let the buyer beware :!:

Vance

Ya know sometimes I cant believe your still alive Vance :lol:  :lol:
Sprint car races tomorrow and saturday buddy...
Eat your heart out.........
Dave

Me too Dave, me too. :shock:
I figger I can outrun him in a short sprint :P

have fun at the races, take some pictures, will ya!
did you ever get your Alliance tag mounted?

Vance

That was one of the lost posts Vance. Have you checked the hamb lately for the mounting options :?:  Someone beat me to it 8)
Ill try and have fun at the races. tomorrow is dirt saturday is 3/8 mile pavement.
Dave
ps: the fun stops monday ..............

EMSjunkie

as a matter of fact I did!!
them boys from Kansas are a lively bunch :D

of course, I was born and raised in Kansas 8)

I just figgered as much money as Bryan has laying about, surley he would have found something in L'ville. 8)  :wink:

guess hes holding out for Barrett-Jackson to come back to Florida.  :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"as a matter of fact I did!!
them boys from Kansas are a lively bunch :D

of course, I was born and raised in Kansas 8)

I just figgered as much money as Bryan has laying about, surley he would have found something in L'ville. 8)  :wink:

guess hes holding out for Barrett-Jackson to come back to Florida.  :roll:

Vance

well if he is comming up for kzoo again he needs to shack up with me and sue till labor day  and we can go to auburn indiana for the big auction car corral and get him a car.  Rates are fairly cheap at my place . (less than 200 a night) and sue is a hell of a cook. We got some nice cars up here and they arent all rednecked out or anything like you would find in florida   :P
Dave

EMSjunkie

We got some nice cars up here and they arent all rednecked out or anything like you would find in florida   :P
Dave

Prolly waaaay too nice for the likes of him :lol:

I saw that kit Speedway has, where you can take a VW bug and add a straight front axle with hair-pins, that might be right up his alley.  :shock:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Dave

We got some nice cars up here and they arent all rednecked out or anything like you would find in florida   :P
Dave

I saw that kit Speedway has, where you can take a VW bug and add a straight front axle with hair-pins, that might be right up his alley.  :shock:

Vance

Ya know i really like them. chopp the top wire wheels thats some cool stuff and it gets good milage
Dave :D  :D  :D

EMSjunkie

can you see his big 'ole head sticking outta the top of a chopped VW. :shock:

actually, I like them too, looks killer, and the possibilities are endless. 8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rayvyn

Dave

Vance

Ya'll just gotta put more gas on the fire, doncha... :?:  :D

I can feel the love way down here... :cry:

Barrett-Jackson? Over inflated egos demanding over inflated prices...even at the Ft. Lauderdale show... :roll:

3 cars I was looking at in Loovul; 2 were sold from the time I left the park on Saturday and when I went back Sunday morning, and the other one wasn't where he said he'd be that morning. And i'm not paying off someone's mortgage by buying their car. I saw one truck up there that was selling for 125,000.00. Talk about sticker shock... :!:  :!:

My problem is, I have the shop space and tools to build a car but work too * much, and thanks to my old man I'm a tightwad when it comes to shelling out big dollars for something other than a house... :arrow:

200.00 per night to stay in Michigan...? :shock:
I only paid 50.00 per night in Loovul. It better be a * good car show... :lol:

BTW-when is KZoo...?

Another BTW-Vance can't run from the LazyBoy to the fridge without needing oxygen, so I'm not worried about a short sprint. .. :D
I hear your favorite band is "Weezer".

Watch your mailbox bunky...And open it really careful like...(hehehe)

And since our sprint offerings are limited down here, we go to the other dirt track races; the Mexs and Gautys running through the fields trying to outrun the I.C.E. guys. Put on a green Polo shirt and pull up in a white Crown Vic and watch-em-go...!! :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"can you see his big 'ole head sticking outta the top of a chopped VW. :shock:  8)
Vance

At least people have seen my big `ole head sticking up in a car.

The only part of your head anyone ever sees is the back.......... :arrow:

going up and down...  :shock: :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gotta run... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :0-0
***SFC-Team Smart***

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

ever look under a chevelle?
how about ANYTHING OEM with coil springs?
can't say as i've ever seen a coil spring at much of an angle and i can tell ya for a FACT a chevelle's ain't...
what he's got (as far as rear suspesion) will work.
it's NOT going canyon racing for * sure...

the chevelle coils are straight up & down. The shocks are angled.  

The chevelle  suspension is a trianglated 4 bar set up.

Does this matter when compared to the suspension in the photos?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

Good question, I think it does.  Everything I have ever seen or read on the subject of coil overs seems to say they should be mounted at some angle, like 20 or 30 degrees, to allow them to function on the street as anti-sway limiters. Drag cars mount them straight up and down because drag cars only go in a straight line.  It is the same reason we mount our hot rod shocks on an angle, as they limit lateral movement as well as straight up and down movement.

It is just one of those things that you do, you don't exactly know all the specific reasons, you just know it is the best way to mount them.  Will it work straight up and down?  Probably, buy maybe just not as well.

Look at any article or even catalogs like Speedway, and they lean them all in a little bit to get this benefit.

JMO,

Don

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"

can't say as i've ever seen a coil spring at much of an angle and i can tell ya for a FACT a chevelle's ain't...

Glad we got this back on topic!  The springs and the coilovers are 2 different animals. I think the reason for the coilovers being mounted on an angle is because its a shock with a spring and shocks work better and they control the car better when they are on an angle. Don is prolly right on the
degree of angle I cant remember!
Dave

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"

Glad we got this back on topic!  The springs and the coilovers are 2 different animals. I think the reason for the coilovers being mounted on an angle is because its a shock with a spring and shocks work better and they control the car better when they are on an angle. Don is prolly right on the
Dave

maybe don's right BUT take a look under the rear of a 67-69 camaro,shocks are * near straight up and down.

and the leaf springs ain't angled;)

funny thing is, if ya think you have too stiff of a shock, lay 'em down more...

ya know, i'm surprised bob paulin hasn't chimed in on this....
his opinion is worth more than mine (at least i trust it)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

Glad we got this back on topic!  Dave

Sorry Dave.  :oops:  :cry:

Didn't mean to get off-topic, just wanted to get my shots in at Raayvn
while I could.  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rayvyn

Dave

Just an observation here, as I am not expertly skilled in suspension geometry and applications.

If the shocks were mounted at an angle of say 20-30*, it would seem like this would make for a stiffer ride when hitting bumps and potholes, due to the travel of the shock being different than that of one mounted straight up and down. It would definitely add to the sway stiffness, cutting down on lateral rear frame movement. However, being that the shocks are mounted inboard at the top, would that mean that there's more roll to the side when taking a sharp turn, due to more of the body weight being outside of the shocks top mounting location?

If the shocks are mounted straight up and down, and used in tangent with a sway bar mounted from the rear end housing to the frame, I can see where this would offer a little softer ride in the individual corners, but would allow for further lateral sway movement when weight is shifted above the shocks when rounding a corner. It would cut down on downward roll in the corners when taking a turn perhaps?

Thinking this over with the help of a few crude drawings, It seems to make sense to me that the shocks would be most beneficial if mounted at half the angle between the rear being parallel and inert, and fully compressed.  If the maximum travel of the rear on one side is (with no frame movement), let's say 20* above level, then I'm thinking the most beneficial angle for the top of the shock would be 10* inward towards center. This seems to split the difference between a stiffer and softer compression (ride), and a stiff or loose lateral sway.

Of course then again I may be totally wrong, as I haven't figured in the angle of the rear dropping down in the case of a pothole. I think a rear would return to a correct level and centered position easier if the shock were straight up and down, but yet when a rear corner drops on a straight shock setup, the lower mount becomes the inward one, creating an outward direction of travel to return to a 90* position. It almost appears that when the top of the shock is mounted inwards (let's say 10*), and the rear drops, the lower end of the shock moves slightly inward, momentarily creating a straight shock setup until upward travel begins.

Now that I've confused everyone, any and all arguments and opinions are welcomed and appreciated. After all, I'm just a layman throwing a few coals on the fire.
***SFC-Team Smart***

Dave

Glad we got this back on topic!  Dave

Sorry Dave.  :oops:  :cry:

Didn't mean to get off-topic, just wanted to get my shots in at Raayvn
while I could.  :lol:

Vance

Im just as guilty as you are :oops:  :oops:
But now we have turned him into a some kind of mad scientest ?? We even have him trying to draw stuff :?:
Dave