Frame kick-up

Started by Rayvyn, August 08, 2006, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

I noticed this rod-in-progress yesterday. Taking a look at the pics I noticed a kick-up in the back of the frame. I'm not too well versed on Redneck frame building, and I'm wondering if this is structurally sound, if this was a beginners attempt at doing this because he couldn't cut or figure correct angles, or whether it's an old school method... :?:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

rumrumm

This is not a kosher way to create a "kick-up." To do it right, it should be "Z'd" rather than done as the photo shows.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

That is an in-progress picture and I think it's a better way to determine a drop than fabricating something and just tacking it in there. If he were to cut the ends of the 2 top pieces of box tubing at an angle and box them you wouldn't be able to tell them from a "Z" and I'd trust it further from twisting and collapsing than 8 edge welds. That boxing of the ends might also be something that could be acomplished the way it sits rather than pulling the body back off the frame. I like the inovation. GPster

donsrods

and I'm wondering if this is structurally sound, if this was a beginners attempt at doing this because he couldn't cut or figure correct angles, or whether it's an old school method...  

No, it isn't the right way to do a kickup. It is just a quick and dirty way to get there, and also looks bad.  The right way to do one is shown below.

Don

PS:  I always mock them up with 2 x 4 lumber first, then you have an idea of what you need to do to get the drop you want.

donsrods

In fact, here is the way I like to do them. I cut small filler strips that I rosset weld inside one part of the kickup, then when I slide the two joints together it gives me a backing so that I get a really heavy penetrating weld that is a lot stronger.

The pictures below show the sequence for this.

Don

donsrods

then we weld the backer into the tubing through the two small holes. This just holds it in place until we do the final weld.

rumrumm

If this is a mock-up, then that is something different altogether. What are the circumstances regarding the photograph?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

donsrods

Once the backer it rosset welded it looks like this.......

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I noticed this rod-in-progress yesterday. Taking a look at the pics I noticed a kick-up in the back of the frame. I'm not too well versed on Redneck frame building, and I'm wondering if this is structurally sound, if this was a beginners attempt at doing this because he couldn't cut or figure correct angles, or whether it's an old school method... :?:

Ok my nickle.. If its got good welds  there is no reason it wont work just fine but pretty it aint. It may have more surface area connected together than zing it. Then again it aint pretty and I wouldnt do it like that just for the pretty factor.
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I noticed this rod-in-progress yesterday. Taking a look at the pics I noticed a kick-up in the back of the frame. I'm not too well versed on Redneck frame building, and I'm wondering if this is structurally sound, if this was a beginners attempt at doing this because he couldn't cut or figure correct angles, or whether it's an old school method... :?:

I wouldnt have mounted the shocks straight up either they should be at an angle. Im supprised no one caught that. Ya I know its done like that all the time but it aint right.
Dave

donsrods

After you weld two of these into both sides of the tubing, you are ready to slip the one inside the other..............

donsrods

Now the joint can be deep welded, giving you a very strong joint.

donsrods

And finally all done.

tomslik

Quote from: "N8DC"

I wouldnt have mounted the shocks straight up either they should be at an angle. Im supprised no one caught that. Ya I know its done like that all the time but it aint right.
Dave

what else would you do when the springs are on the outside?
they're not helper springs.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mikej

Don, Thanks for the pictures and description on ZZZing. Very simple and effective.