AC UNITS

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, July 25, 2006, 11:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Looking at AC units for my Merc. Would like to know pros and cons about any makes out there?

Leon

Vintage Air is well built stuff.

Deuce

:D

I have a Vintage Air Generation II Mini ...

It is small enough to almost disappear behind the dash and still have room for the glovebox ... in a 1932 Ford. A friend has one in his 32 Ford sedan and it works great ... I have not gotten my car finished yet ... so no actual performance report from my car ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

EMSjunkie

I have a Vintage Air Gen-II compac unit in my 34 Coupe
I like it. :D

pretty simple to install. no vacuum, all electric servos.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phatn40

I installed a Gen-II mini in a Deuce coupe last year and another in a 31 Chevy coupe last month. Both fit nice, but both had the fuse block mounted on the inside of the firewall on the drivers side, so I had to install the evaporator in the center, and a little toward the passenger side. The only clearance problem was with the center hoses and the gauges. Both cars had the gauges mounted in the center of the dash. Not a big problem, nothing you can't work around. Both units work great, all electric, no vacuum. I don't know what year Merc you are working on but the full size Vintage unit would probably fit fine. My next project is a 55 Chevy and it appears to have plenty of room for the evaporator and it uses the original 55 controls. Good luck.

40 Chev Coupe

Anybody have anything to say about Southern Air units?

rumrumm

FWIW, I have heard favorable comments about Hot Rod Air, but I have heard some negative comments and reports  about Southern Air. I have not dealt with them personally so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. I have a Vintage Air mini in my '32, and it works great. Vintage Air also has excellent customer service.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

river1

on elpolacko's (from the HAMB) recommendation i bought a vintage air unit. he has installed plenty and this being sunny and hot arizona i figure he wouldn't install or recommend if it didn't work in az. i have got it totally installed yet so no personnel experience but elpolacko is a good recommendation in my eyes.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Quote from: "40 Chev Coupe"Anybody have anything to say about Southern Air units?

Yes. Don't. Tech support is non existant, and unless you have experience with AC it is very difficult to install properly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "40 Chev Coupe"Looking at AC units for my Merc. Would like to know pros and cons about any makes out there?

I bought mine from Bill at Northern Kentucky Hot Rods. Don't know who makes it, but it was the only one I found that was the size I wanted so that I can do the things I want behind my dash. It has vacuum controls, which I don't really see as a negative since a lot of factory cars have vacuum controls. I haven't used it yet, but it was easy to install. It came with a nice billet control panel included in the price.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

phat rat

I posted this last night over on the Hamb after someone was * because Vintage Air was out of a part he needed quick

I've had Vintage Air in my cpe for 9 years. Had a problem with it last month. Called tech (had too leave a message but he called back right away) and spoke 3 different times with him as he guided me through the troubleshooting of the electronics. One of these times was at least 10 min while I was testing as he guided me through what needed doing. It took 3 times only because of a miscommunication during the second call. Turned out to be a bad diode and I had it within the week as a complete harness so it was simply unplug, plug and go. Oh and the first call was simply info seeking as to what might possibly be wrong with no testing done. So I'm completely satisfied with their customer service
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "40 Chev Coupe"Anybody have anything to say about Southern Air units?

Yes. Don't. Tech support is non existant, and unless you have experience with AC it is very difficult to install properly.

aw come on, they're not even THAT good..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

alchevy

I have a Hot Rod Air in my '40 Chevy 2-door Sedan. It's not totaly installed yet, but it the biggest unit they have since I have a large sedan. It's got 4 vents.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Carnut

I installed a vintage air heat/cool unit in my 40 back in 92 and have no trouble with it since. It's still running on the original freon charge.

I have the air ducts at the ends of the dash in the ash tray pockets and two blowing thru the speaker grille. Even the windshield defog works.

Have the on/fan speed switch and function switches in original holes under the speaker grille. Did lose the glove box.

Running  a Butch's Rod shop bracket on the engine, bought most all the pieces on sale at a Nat's from Yogi's and other vendors.

papastoyss

I had Vintage Air in my 40 Ford coupe, it worked great, couldn't even run it on high fan speed. Sold the 40 (duh) , bought a 47 Ford coupe project & tried to save $ by using a Southern Rods kit  with their largest evaporator. They sell a Chinese made compressor instead of a real Sanden. The ft. seal leaked in mine, a friend had to replace the clutch in his also. The unit simply doesn't  make enough cool air
to make the car comfortable. The install wasn't bad except the hot water shut - off is very bulky & takes a lot of space under dash. My 2 cents - pay the price for Vintage Air & buy it once.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!