53 Chevy PU

Started by Husker, March 25, 2006, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husker

I am building a 53 3 window, I found it stuffed in a warehouse for $800.00 last summer. It has a Nova subframe and rear end that were installed when I purchased it. The cab is in great no rust shape, I do need a good left front fender and a tailgate if anyone has something decent.

Going with a used 350 target and turbo 350 engine that came with truck. Well I may switch to an OD trans if I can find one cheap.

Been considering a roll pan and flat tailgate, any guidance on what is out there that is worth a darn would be appreciated.

kb426

Chevyduty.com has both. The roll pan isn't very tall so if you're trying to hide a fuel tank from the rear, you'll have to fab something. Most of the plain tailgates are covers for an existing tail gate.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Lots of parts out there for these, Chevys of the 40s even has new steel fenders, but they are pricey. I am building a 47 for someone else, and I just picked up a 53 of my own.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "Husker"I am building a 53 3 window, I found it stuffed in a warehouse for $800.00 last summer. It has a Nova subframe and rear end that were installed when I purchased it. The cab is in great no rust shape, I do need a good left front fender and a tailgate if anyone has something decent.

Going with a used 350 target and turbo 350 engine that came with truck. Well I may switch to an OD trans if I can find one cheap.

Been considering a roll pan and flat tailgate, any guidance on what is out there that is worth a darn would be appreciated.

i've got a couple of lh fenders (1gmc +1 chevy) that are fair....
where ya located?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Husker"I am building a 53 3 window, I found it stuffed in a warehouse for $800.00 last summer. It has a Nova subframe and rear end that were installed when I purchased it. The cab is in great no rust shape, I do need a good left front fender and a tailgate if anyone has something decent.

I just built a 50 myself.  I will be putting it up for sale in a couple of weeks.   I bought most of my parts from Chevy Duty.   Good service and reasonable prices.  I bought their rear roll pan and a set of 50 Pontiac tailights from Speedway.  I bought the front bumper and splash pan from Chevy Duty along with at least $2,000 of other stuff.

I have built several of these trucks.  Let me know if I can help.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Husker

I am in South Dakota, a rock throw away from 40 in Nebraska.

Good tips, thanks folks!

I could use dimensions of an aftermarket fuel tank, I am going to have an aluminum one built here in town by a buddy of a buddy and the dimensions would be a plus.

Anyone do one with a Nova sub frame?  I am looking for fab ideas for the radiator support. I have some ideas of my own but I have no problem using someone else's that work.

enjenjo

There is a tech article on subframing one of these trucks here http://www.enjenjo.com/frameclip.html

That one is a G body frame clip, but the core support mount for a Nova sub would be similar.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Husker"I am in South Dakota, a rock throw away from 40 in Nebraska.

Good tips, thanks folks!

I could use dimensions of an aftermarket fuel tank, I am going to have an aluminum one built here in town by a buddy of a buddy and the dimensions would be a plus.

Anyone do one with a Nova sub frame?  I am looking for fab ideas for the radiator support. I have some ideas of my own but I have no problem using someone else's that work.

I will try to post some pictures of the radiator support I make later today.  I have to have my son scan them for me.

I use S 10 Blazer gas tanks a lot.  They fit between the rear frame rails under the back of the bed.  A gas door in the right rear fender plumbs to the tank.  The truck I just finished has a new factory tank in the cab.  Cheapest way and easiest.  With the Dodge Dakota seat there is plenty of room for everything.

John
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2005.html
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

I have done a couple using aluminum tanks from USBoat.com. They have several tanks in the sizes we can use, and they come with a sending unit.

Husker

I have a very good stock tank, I just don't care for it in the cab so i want to get it under the bed. The S-10 idea is a good one anr RCI has a 17 gallon tank that looks like it will work, good to have choices.

kb426

I used a ford granada tank behind the rear axle in mine. The Granada was an excellent donor car.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Husker"I am in South Dakota, a rock throw away from 40 in Nebraska.

Good tips, thanks folks!

I will try to post some pictures of the radiator support I make later today.  I have to have my son scan them for me.

I use S 10 Blazer gas tanks a lot.  They fit between the rear frame rails under the back of the bed.  A gas door in the right rear fender plumbs to the tank.  The truck I just finished has a new factory tank in the cab.  Cheapest way and easiest.  With the Dodge Dakota seat there is plenty of room for everything.

John
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2005.html

This is the picture of the mount that I make.  If you want a larger picture, pm me your email address.  I have seen other methods to do this but this will give you a place to start.  I usually place the bumper mounts a little inside of the original location and then you will have room to shim them side to side if you need to get the bumper aligned with the sheetmetal.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

I put the bumper mounts on the outside of the brackets, then they line up better with the  subframe rails. It makes life a bit easier.

Husker

OldSub

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"If you want a larger picture, pm me your email address.

Are you willing to send me those larger pictures too?  I'd love to get a better look at your mount.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com