Detroit Autorama

Started by timkins, March 05, 2006, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

Just returned from the Detroit Autorama. A great indoor show. I did not think the Foose entry this year was up to the caliber of his previous entries BUT that is just my opinion and you know what opinions are like. Does anybody know who won the Riddler?? The common opinion at the show yesterday was it was going to be between a spectacular 59 Chevy  and an equally nice shoebox Ford. ANYBODY KNOW???

purplepickup

Quote from: "timkins"Does anybody know who won the Riddler??
I don't know but my vote would be for the '59.  It was a VERY nicely done car and the builder seemed like a really nice guy  8)   ...not a * with his head in the clouds.
George

enjenjo

We spent the whole day up there yesterday. The show was awesome, even the quality of the cars in the basement was much higher than it was last year. I liked some of the innovative detailing that several of the basement cars had.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

An interesting show yesterday.

By the time I got through the main floor I was disgusted with the ultra-large diameter wheels and the cantilevered doors...thought I was gonna have to puke. I'm not exactly a hardcore traditionalist but those two trends are...well, disturbing....

So, by the time I got downstairs and saw a primered early 50's Chevy with "dubs-n-doors"  next to the thumping tuners I was fit to be tied. Fortunately I ran into a bunch of my HAMB and RRT friends a few aisles over. They immediately recognized the symtoms of sensory overload and  prescribed a couple/three Bud Lights. They healed me.

Thanks again to  Denise for hosting a great gathering in the evening. Met a bunch of new folks and had a great time.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crafty

the '33 "speedstar" won.
http://streetrodderweb.com/events/0603sr_detroit_03/index1.html

Does anyone know if the rad rides '37 was entered for the riddler ? if it was I'm suprised it didn't make the final 8. You can see it at this page, about 7 pictures down.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2006show/06detroitautorama/

The silver '55 chevy convertible thats at the bottom of that page is a home built car that was meant to be competing for the riddler, new LS engine, all tube chassis etc.. but the engine made some horrible noises and refused to start, so he was out :(

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Crafty"the '33 "speedstar" won.
http://streetrodderweb.com/events/0603sr_detroit_03/index1.html

It's a '35 that won.  The "33 was just a "Great 8" finalist.  I'm disappointed the '59 didn't win.

http://streetrodderweb.com/events/0603sr_detroit_03/index4.html

Special thanks to all my RRT friends that came over on Saturday evening.  It was great seeing everyone.[/img]
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

timkins

I am also disappointed that the 59 did not win. It was awesome and the owner seemed very down to earth.

Crosley.In.AZ

nice car

it is a shame the Street Rodder crew cannot spell Dunlop   tires
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Congratulations to Roger! That car is just the latest in a long line of incredible cars that Roger has built for the Allstots.Roger has designed and built many award winning cars for both Kevin and his wife Karen but this one looks to be above and beyond.....Can't wait to see it in person.Does anyone who was there have photos of the other "Great 8" finalists?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "40"Does anyone who was there have photos of the other "Great 8" finalists?

I took a few photos of the Roth cars during setup on Thursday and didn't take any more photos the rest of the weekend.  WOW!  Talk about a party weekend........... I had to come to work today to get some rest.  8)

unklian

They could,if Dunlop bought ad space.
Quote from: "Crosley"
it is a shame the Street Rodder crew cannot spell Dunlop tires
Great show,even if I didn't see 90% of it. :roll:
Kinda like a Circus in a Blender.

And The Pinstripers Jambouree raised almost $40,000
for the Rainbow Wish Connection,a local childrens charity. :!:

Thanks to everyone who participated.
Looking forward to Billetproof.  :idea:

Rochie

"The silver '55 chevy convertible thats at the bottom of that page is a home built car that was meant to be competing for the riddler, new LS engine, all tube chassis etc.. but the engine made some horrible noises and refused to start, so he was out :("

Crafty,
that silver 55 was NOT a home built creation.  That's the handi-work of Richard Riuter and Lowdown Hot Rods in Cambridge Ont. HRLC saw it being built a couple of years ago at one of our garage crawl/ breakfasts. Richard and Lowdown do some pretty nice work but it is defintely NOT a home built car.
Wayne

HotRodLadyCrusr

That '55 was Roadstar favorite and woulkd have been a "Great 8" Ridler contender and from what I "overheard", a real strong possible winner BUT like what was stated earlier, Ridler and class winners must be able to start and run and they do check for that stuff.....rightly so.  It's such a shame too, it's an AWESOME car.  The only thing I didn't care for was the black "boot".  I didn't think it suited the car at all.  Rudy said the tube chassis was a work of engineering art and was extemely impressed.

Wayne, I had forgotten about seeing it before.  I'll have to dig those photos out and show Rudy.

Crafty

Apologies all, the way streetrodderweb read I thought the '33 had won.

far as the '55 went I understood it was the guys own car who built it ?

Rochie

far as the '55 went I understood it was the guys own car who built it ?[/quote]

It was but he owns Lowdown Hot rods
Wayne