200R vs 700R

Started by moose, March 01, 2006, 10:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "phat rat"No offense taken, I kinda thought you were kidding but decided to play it on the safe side

Looks good Jack.  I hope to do that someday.  My current motor is too much of a wimp :cry: .

See you are just a month and a day behind me on birthdays.  Happy Birthday almost.  About a month and a half to the first soc. sec. check and counting :D .

c ya, Sum

chopped

Quote from: "sal37"Sum
I have looked at your fantastic site but this TV cable stuff scares the s*#t out of me as I haven't had anything to do with autos before and have read some stories about fried tranmissions etc.  I will have time to learn as it will be a little time off before I will get the trans rebuilt and installed.  The ongoing house extensions have pretty much wiped out my car account but at least the quality of life on the domestic front has improved.

Steve

I used the site Sum has to set up mine. It's a 2X2 on a 250 six, not your average setup. Works great. It's not as hard as everyone makes it out when you have guidelines to follow.

phat rat

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "phat rat"No offense taken, I kinda thought you were kidding but decided to play it on the safe side

Looks good Jack.  I hope to do that someday.  My current motor is too much of a wimp :cry: .

See you are just a month and a day behind me on birthdays.  Happy Birthday almost.  About a month and a half to the first soc. sec. check and counting :D .

c ya, Sum

I've got too wait until the 1st Wed in May for my first S.S. check. Been waiting a long time for this to come. Thanks for the happy b-day
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"Just showing that  the 700R's aren't necessarily weak trannies

Really?

all photos are from different trannys, not the same one

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sal37

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "sal37"Sum
I have looked at your fantastic site but this TV cable stuff scares the s*#t out of me as I haven't had anything to do with autos before and have read some stories about fried tranmissions etc.  I will have time to learn as it will be a little time off before I will get the trans rebuilt and installed.  The ongoing house extensions have pretty much wiped out my car account but at least the quality of life on the domestic front has improved.

Steve

It isn't that bad.  Get a protractor out and lay the angles and distances out on a card full scale.  Cut the paper so you can hold it up to the bellcrank on the carb and see where you are at when you move the bellcrank from closed to WOT.  Then modify the bellcrank to the right angles (I show how I modified mine).  You can also get adapters now for a number of carbs that are all set up to give you the right geometry.

I'm well aware of what house building can do to you and the budget.  Once it is done though it is nice.

Hope to be over there during the next couple years to go to your salt flats.  I'll help you then 8) .

c ya, Sum

Thanks Sum, I look forward to seeing you over here (and any other RRT members) You might know some of the guys that race at our salt but I could put you in touch with some of the guys that are involved.  I understand it is very "rustic" with none of the great facilities at Wendover.

Steve

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat rat"Just showing that  the 700R's aren't necessarily weak trannies

Really?

all photos are from different trannys, not the same one

8)

Tony how about a little background on those pictures.  Were those stock 700's?  Had you guys re-built them before the damage?  Were they in vehicles with improperly adjusted TV cables?  Do you feel any were just plane abused by the owners?  etc., etc.

Thanks for any further input,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Sum,

it is best thought of  as the weakest link between the engine and asphalt.

The exploded Blazer 700 tranny case....... we were told the guy was simply driving away from a friends house.  The tranny made a noise and quit moving the owner said.

yeh , right

:lol:
Tony

soldermonkey

Sum, Jack I have been collecting social security since last July. I love getting that monthly return of my money. I also try to thank all my working friends for the money and encourage them to keep up the good work. I hope ya'll enjoy your checks.

Good thread.

dave

Crosley.In.AZ

Another broken 4L60E tranny I fixed today. This is a 2005 unit behind a supercharged 5.3 in  a pickup truck.

Damage is indicative of a neutral drop.  THe roller clutch takes all the power during a first gear launch when the shifter is in "OD" or "D".... in manual 1st gear on the shifter the clutch pack for low/reverse is applied which is much stronger

A neutral drop puts this part under a great deal of instantly applied  stress
Tony

soldermonkey

QuoteTHe roller clutch takes all the power during a first gear launch when the shifter is in "OD" or "D".... in manual 1st gear on the shifter the clutch pack for low/reverse is applied which is much stronger

Tony, Is this also true or the 700 R4 and the 200 4R or it exclusive to the 4L60 only?

dave

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "soldermonkey"THe roller clutch takes all the power during a first gear launch when the shifter is in "OD" or "D".... in manual 1st gear on the shifter the clutch pack for low/reverse is applied which is much stronger

Tony, Is this also true or the 700 R4 and the 200 4R or it exclusive to the 4L60 only?

dave

First ;

the 700r4 and 4L60 are the same tranny, different name.

The 4L60E / 4L65E / 4L70E is an electronic controlled version of the 700/4L60 tranny.  Basic internal parts are the same, some variations due to updated  parts, electronic sensors &  controls.  When done correctly ; I can put 1982 700 parts into a 1990 tranny case (an example only!)

In the 200-4r tranny when the shifter is manual 'low' gear..... the low/reverse clutch pack is applied to add holding power.  Same applies to the t-350 tranny.  

A t-400 has a band that is applied in manual 'low' gear on the shifter to add holding power to the roller clutch

8)
Tony

shine

keep in mind when chosing gears that you have a lockup converter. to high of a gear and you'll be in and out of lockup at hwy speed. i run 3:73, 3:89 or 4:11's with the 200. the 200 is a true 4 speed and is double tuff. the problem with the 700 is when it goes it takes out everything. they just exsplode the case as in the pics. i quit using the 700 in 90. low gears and a tight converter can be a blast to drive. try to setup for 2k at 70.

Grandadeo

Looking at a  200-4r to replace my 350 for those long distance trips.  The seller [about 75 miles away] said he thinks it came out of an '88 olds but that's all he knows.  Would there be any difference between a V8 and a V6 '88 Olds 200-4r, assuming they were available on both?  Also, based on this thread so far, it sounds like my 3:00 rear end gear will have to go - 9" ford rear with 235/75/15 tires which I'm thinking about replacing with a little taller tire.  You're thoughts.  Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Looking at a  200-4r to replace my 350 for those long distance trips.  The seller [about 75 miles away] said he thinks it came out of an '88 olds but that's all he knows.  Would there be any difference between a V8 and a V6 '88 Olds 200-4r, assuming they were available on both?  Also, based on this thread so far, it sounds like my 3:00 rear end gear will have to go - 9" ford rear with 235/75/15 tires which I'm thinking about replacing with a little taller tire.  You're thoughts.  Thanks.

Lee

I don't know if all of the 200R4 had the dual bolt pattern or not, but be sure this one does so you can bolt it to your motor.  I don't know if there were different versions of the 200 or not.  Someone else can help you with that.

You should be able to keep the same drive shaft, but you will probably have to make or modify the rear crossmember support.  You will also have to make the modifications for the TV cable and also the electrical.  Not a big deal, but do it right.  I would strongly recommend spending the $70 or so and put in a TCI or someone else's lockup kit in the transmission and this is easier if it is out of the car.  They come with complete instructions.  I have a toggle switch on the 200R4 in my Buick now and I'll do the TCI kit at some point.  The toggle switch is a pain in the butt.

I would recommend getting rid of the 3.00 gears for 3.50's to 3.73's.  If not you will be like me right now where the overdrive is just too much overdrive in most instances and you won't really be saving any money on gas.  

Make the changes and you will love it.  You will have much better acceleration and much better fuel mileage.

c ya, Sum

Grandadeo

Thanks Sum.  The 200-4r is advertised as a dual bolt pattern trans so bolting up to my 350 small block shouldn't be a problem.  Good to here about the drive shaft not needing to be shortened.  I'll be going through that with my panel truck project, changing from a C-4 to an AOD.  Now I wonder what gears are in that old nine inch laying out in the garage?

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50