200R vs 700R

Started by moose, March 01, 2006, 10:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Found THIS LINK that I had on 200's.  Might help someone.

Sum

shine

the 200 only needs 1 hot wire for the pressure solenoid. no switch needed.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "shine"the 200 only needs 1 hot wire for the pressure solenoid. no switch needed.

Do you have a wiring diagram for that showing how to wire it to the pins on the side connector?  I have 12 volts wired to the tranny through the  the toggle switch and if I leave it on then it locks in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  

If there is a way to wire it direct in a stock 200 so it only locks going in and out of 4th I would like to know.

I don't like it locked in the other gears as it lugs too much.

Thanks,

Sum

shine

ign hot to " a " pin. top left looking at the plug. it's locking in every gear you have another problem.  i've had solenoids go bad. not wanting to unlock when stopping. the govnor plays a part in this also. sounds like you need to get it checked out by a trans man. you may need to change the govnor. you can run without the lockup.

ps i know just enough about these to be dangerous. i dont build them, just use them in my builds.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "shine"ign hot to " a " pin. top left looking at the plug. it's locking in every gear you have another problem.  i've had solenoids go bad. not wanting to unlock when stopping. the govnor plays a part in this also. sounds like you need to get it checked out by a trans man. you may need to change the govnor. you can run without the lockup.

ps i know just enough about these to be dangerous. i dont build them, just use them in my builds.

I do have 12v. to the A pin.  I'm not having a problem with it locking in 2 and 3rd.  It only locks there if I have the toggle thrown and 12 volts to A.  It is locking and unlocking fine depending on the 12 volts being applied or not.

I'll check which pins I have grounded as I did this a couple years ago under less than ideal circumstances (I was pretty sick)  I was in good company though  :D (WZJUNK and Larry-thanks again guys).  In the picture above if pin B is always grounded you are going to lock the converter in 2nd, 3rd and 4th anytime 12 v. is applied to pin A.  If pin B is left "ungrounded" and pin D is grounded you are going to lock the converter only when the internal normally open pressure switch is activated by pressure in 4th gear if there is such a switch in the transmission.  In the picture there is because it is supplied with the TCI kit and you install it.

I thought that was true of the 200 as well.  When I get it all figured out I'll post the results.  I'm in no big hurry as we run around our little town here in 3rd and only use 4th on long trips and I'm still fine there with the toggle switch  the way it is now.

Thanks and c ya, Sum

shine

i run only the a pin hot. no other wires are needed.

Chebby

Quote from: "1FATGMC"The 700 has a much deeper 1st gear (3.0?) vs about a 2.5 in the 200.  Running 3.50 gears with the 700 is like having 4.11's to 4.20's using a 200 or 350 in first. That is nice with a heavier vehicle or if you are geared high in the rear end say less than a 3.23, but that is where the tires come into play.  I run a 3.50 rear with 28 inch tires and a 700 and really like it in my truck (75mph at about 2400 rpm).  You might be running a 30 inch tire or something like that though.

You should be fairly light, so either would probably be a good deal.  The 700 is easier to find and probably cheaper.  If you run something larger than a 28 inch tire I would recommend a rear gear of 3.50 to 3.73 with the 200 and at least a 3.23 with the 700.

The drag racers like the 200 for the smaller drop in rpms during the 1-2 shift.  The other thing is that the 200 is the same length as a 350 and the 700 is longer.  The 200 is also a little smaller all around which might matter to you and the 700 is longer by I'll guess 7-8 inches.  If that works with the car length I'd use the 700 if you have neither now.

Don't gear the car too high as the fun of these transmissions is you can have good acceleration and low cruise rpms.

Either way don't use the 350.  If you ever use a good overdrive on a street car I doubt you would ever go back.

c ya, Sum

What gear ratio do you run in your pickup? I have the same setup you've described in my pickup and I'll be running a 10 bolt posi unit with 3.42 gears.

Chebby

Stovebolt

Does any-one know how much a 200 "consumes" by comparison to say a powerglide, or a T350, or a T700R?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Chebby"What gear ratio do you run in your pickup? I have the same setup you've described in my pickup and I'll be running a 10 bolt posi unit with 3.42 gears.

Chebby

I have a 3.50 rear with 28" tires.  Just got back from World Finals at B'ville a couple hours ago.  Right at 19-20 mpg going and coming running 75+ most of the time.

I attribute some of the the mileage to the q-jet, cam, heads, etc. and the fact that the truck is 18 inches lower than it was stock  :wink: .  The motor does have 140,000 on it now.

If any of you guys are into trying to get the dynamic compression right to run a certain octane gas be sure and check out the following page on my site:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/tech--dcr%20combinations-1.html

c ya,

Sum

Topsterguy

I have a pretty strong 383 SBC in my 32 coupe and run a 700R4 with 3:55 gears and 255/75x15's  and it seems about a perfect match to me. I wouldn't want the gears any lower and don't need them any lower believe me! I'm building a 40 pickup now and am contiplating using the same combination on it cuz it just seems to work right. Actually the gears in the 8.8 Ranger rear end I'm using in the truck seem like they might be a bit low, but I'm going to try them and see what happens.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"