200R vs 700R

Started by moose, March 01, 2006, 10:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Thinking about an over-drive tranny in the coupe I am building. What are the advantages of using a 200R vs a 700R? Rear end will be either a 8in. or 9in fors . Motor will be a mild 327. Not looking to burn up the streets but do want a dependable long distance crusier.  My other option is the tried and tru 350 tranny....

Thanks

Tim

1FATGMC

Quote from: "moose"Thinking about an over-drive tranny in the coupe I am building. What are the advantages of using a 200R vs a 700R? Rear end will be either a 8in. or 9in fors . Motor will be a mild 327. Not looking to burn up the streets but do want a dependable long distance crusier.  My other option is the tried and tru 350 tranny....

Thanks

Tim

What will be your tire diameter and rearend ratios??  Will the car ever be raced?  Sounds like no??

c ya, Sum

moose

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "moose"Thinking about an over-drive tranny in the coupe I am building. What are the advantages of using a 200R vs a 700R? Rear end will be either a 8in. or 9in fors . Motor will be a mild 327. Not looking to burn up the streets but do want a dependable long distance crusier.  My other option is the tried and tru 350 tranny....

Thanks

Tim

What will be your tire diameter and rearend ratios??  Will the car ever be raced?  Sounds like no??

c ya, Sum

No plans to race it. As far as tire diameter, something to mostally fill the wheel well openning. Do not have a size picked out yet. I am still leaning toward a Kelsey style wire wheel but may go with steelies with small rings and caps... Rearend ratio will depend on if I go with an over drive or the turbo 350.

1FATGMC

The 700 has a much deeper 1st gear (3.0?) vs about a 2.5 in the 200.  Running 3.50 gears with the 700 is like having 4.11's to 4.20's using a 200 or 350 in first. That is nice with a heavier vehicle or if you are geared high in the rear end say less than a 3.23, but that is where the tires come into play.  I run a 3.50 rear with 28 inch tires and a 700 and really like it in my truck (75mph at about 2400 rpm).  You might be running a 30 inch tire or something like that though.

You should be fairly light, so either would probably be a good deal.  The 700 is easier to find and probably cheaper.  If you run something larger than a 28 inch tire I would recommend a rear gear of 3.50 to 3.73 with the 200 and at least a 3.23 with the 700.

The drag racers like the 200 for the smaller drop in rpms during the 1-2 shift.  The other thing is that the 200 is the same length as a 350 and the 700 is longer.  The 200 is also a little smaller all around which might matter to you and the 700 is longer by I'll guess 7-8 inches.  If that works with the car length I'd use the 700 if you have neither now.

Don't gear the car too high as the fun of these transmissions is you can have good acceleration and low cruise rpms.

Either way don't use the 350.  If you ever use a good overdrive on a street car I doubt you would ever go back.

c ya, Sum

sal37

Sum, I am often confused about the selection of rear end ratios.  I propose using the T700 for my '37 project (Ford club coupe 350 running a mild 350 and 9").  From the calculators (and I have used several) on the internet I get ratios of 3.70 or 3.89 (mostly 3.89) with a rear tire size of 235/75/15 which I think from memory is about 29" tall.  The revs at 60 mph were something like 1800rpm.  I was thinking of using the 3.70 gears.  From what you have written I get the feeling that I should reconsider my choice.  Any comments??

Steve

enjenjo

Quote from: "sal37"Sum, I am often confused about the selection of rear end ratios.  I propose using the T700 for my '37 project (Ford club coupe 350 running a mild 350 and 9").  From the calculators (and I have used several) on the internet I get ratios of 3.70 or 3.89 (mostly 3.89) with a rear tire size of 235/75/15 which I think from memory is about 29" tall.  The revs at 60 mph were something like 1800rpm.  I was thinking of using the 3.70 gears.  From what you have written I get the feeling that I should reconsider my choice.  Any comments??

Steve

I'm not Sum, but I have run a mild 350 with a 700R4, and a 2.79 gear succesfully in a 47 Ford.  I think that would be about the limit. I would shoot for a 3.50 gear, a good all around compromise. Even a 3.25 will work good with this combo.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "sal37"Sum, I am often confused about the selection of rear end ratios.  I propose using the T700 for my '37 project (Ford club coupe 350 running a mild 350 and 9").  From the calculators (and I have used several) on the internet I get ratios of 3.70 or 3.89 (mostly 3.89) with a rear tire size of 235/75/15 which I think from memory is about 29" tall.  The revs at 60 mph were something like 1800rpm.  I was thinking of using the 3.70 gears.  From what you have written I get the feeling that I should reconsider my choice.  Any comments??

Steve

I'm not Sum, but I have run a mild 350 with a 700R4, and a 2.79 gear succesfully in a 47 Ford.  I think that would be about the limit. I would shoot for a 3.50 gear, a good all around compromise. Even a 3.25 will work good with this combo.

Hey you are a lot smarter than Sum :D .  Steve I agree with Frank's selections, but with the 29 inch tires I might like the 3.70's myself.  If you want better acceleration go with those.  If you are looking for better gas mileage move down to the 3.25's or 3.50's (what I have).  I would not go lower than the 3.25's.  The Buick I mentioned with the 200R4 and probably 2.73 rear gears doesn't even go into overdrive until about 65.  If you are driving slower than 75 you get better mileage in 3rd.  At 80 to 85 it really cruises and gets a little over 20 mpg with the 305 :D .

I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but both of the transmissions you are looking at use a TV cable and this IS NOT like the kick down cable on a 350 or 400.  Be sure to set it up right on the carb or your new transmission will not last long.  It seems a little complicated, but it isn't. I have info on my tech pages (  HERE  ) that will help.

c ya,  Sum

sal37

Sum
I have looked at your fantastic site but this TV cable stuff scares the s*#t out of me as I haven't had anything to do with autos before and have read some stories about fried tranmissions etc.  I will have time to learn as it will be a little time off before I will get the trans rebuilt and installed.  The ongoing house extensions have pretty much wiped out my car account but at least the quality of life on the domestic front has improved.

Steve

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sal37"Sum
I have looked at your fantastic site but this TV cable stuff scares the s*#t out of me as I haven't had anything to do with autos before and have read some stories about fried tranmissions etc.  I will have time to learn as it will be a little time off before I will get the trans rebuilt and installed.  The ongoing house extensions have pretty much wiped out my car account but at least the quality of life on the domestic front has improved.

Steve

It isn't that bad.  Get a protractor out and lay the angles and distances out on a card full scale.  Cut the paper so you can hold it up to the bellcrank on the carb and see where you are at when you move the bellcrank from closed to WOT.  Then modify the bellcrank to the right angles (I show how I modified mine).  You can also get adapters now for a number of carbs that are all set up to give you the right geometry.

I'm well aware of what house building can do to you and the budget.  Once it is done though it is nice.

Hope to be over there during the next couple years to go to your salt flats.  I'll help you then 8) .

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

the 200-4r is the same basic size of the t-350.  if the 200 is built correctly it will serve you well.

Use a lock up clutch converter .

use 3.70 or 3.73 gears , all will be fine.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

18,000 mi on this 700R4 tranny behind a 425hp BBC crate motor and I don't baby it as you can see here. This isn't a burn-out this is the 1-2 shift
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

didn't mean too seem like a show-off. Just showing that  the 700R's aren't necessarily weak trannies

sirstude

Only kidding, I love the smoke.   I just forget to put the smilies after the comment.  I always forget that when I am sitting here laughing at what I am writing, the other person cannot see what I am doing.  That is the only bad thing about these boards.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

No offense taken, I kinda thought you were kidding but decided to play it on the safe side