New project

Started by phat rat, March 01, 2006, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Due to my recent retirement I decided I needed something to keep me busy, so here it is. Definitely has too be chopped, fender-less with a beam axle. Will probably build my own frame and box. Not sure yet on rear suspension, either buggy or parallel leaves. Figuring on a big Cad, Buick or BBC for power. Have some ideas but we'll see where available parts lead me. Going to be a low buck ride, I went the other way on the 41 this will be different. It has to be as now I'm on a FIXED INCOME. LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

donsrods

Cool. As you may have seen in my posts, my '39 Dodge is being built along the same lines as what you are planning. These Ford bodies make great rods when done chopped, channelled and fenderless.

Your chop won't be too hard, either. Especially if you compare it to something like a '50 Merc or something. Your body looks nice and solid to start with.

You know, life is a trade off. Either you have no time to build a car, because you are working all the time. Or, you have lots of time and no money, so I understand your retirement situation. Right now I am working 6 12 hour days a week, and don't have the energy to work on it at night. I just decided to take every other Saturday off, so that I have a life again, and I will be able to go to some car shows and stuff.

I envy you on the retirement, and I am 2 years behind you. Have fun building the truck, and please keep sending pictures. In case you missed it, here is a shot of my '39.

Don

donsrods

By the way, I have posted this picture before. This is the truck that inspired me to build the Dodge. Some may hate it, but I think it is just cool.

Don

donsrods

phat rat

Don, I've seen your son posting the pics of your truck over on the HAMB. It's a cool truck. We have the same kind of ideas not rat rod unsafe just low buck. innovative. That's the reason I don't have some ideas chisled in stone, we'll see what parts come along at a reasonable price while not making it a hodge-podge of mismatched parts. I'd been considering the chopped 39 Chev cab that Hammerndolly over on the Hamb was selling but then this came along at considerably less money so I bought it.

donsrods

We actually drove 13 hours one way to Shreveport, La, last spring to buy a 40 Ford cab, like yours. I bought it on Ebay. When we got there, the body was nothing like advertised, and we only spent 5 minutes looking at it before we turned around and drove 13 hours back home. It was the only time I have backed out of an Ebay purchase, but this thing was horrible with rust and dents. We finally found my '39 in Atlanta Ga, and it was really solid.

Your truck will be nice, and I think you will have an easier time finding any of the little pieces you might need, moreso than a Chevy, but I could be wrong.

There is nothing wrong with lo buck. That is the only way I build my cars. I think if I were rich I would still do it that way. I just like getting a bargain, and using those parts. You mention my Son, he used to laugh at me because I was filling up the shop with a lot of parts I bought on Ebay, but when he started to build his '29 all of a sudden those parts started to migrate to his side of the shop. I really don't mind, though, I'd rather give him his inheritance now, while I can be there to see his gratitude, than after I am gone. I've got enough headlights, wire wheels, and wishbones stored to build my next 4 cars, but I still keep buying more. Just love old parts, I guess.

What are your plans for the frame? You mention custom built, are you going to Z it to get it real low, or what? I think your engine plans are good, especially the Cad and Buick route. They end up costing a little more to build, but the WOW factor is worth it. My 394 Olds cost me what 2 small block Chevys would have cost to build, but it is different, and is what I grew up building and swapping, so I like them.

Keep those pics and posts coming. We all seem to agree  that all of us like these shots.

Don

phat rat

Don, I'll get it low but not so low that I have a hard time getting in and out. I'm lucky in that there's a fabricating shop about 5 mi away that I buy all my metal from. I'll have them bend some 10 ga into a c and I'll build the frame using that. I can curve it and slim the ends down, whatever I want. As far as the motor goes I'm looking to buy a runner and not a builder. Some of these are out there virtually for the taking and that's what I want to do. As I said I'm not getting a bundle tied up in it. If that starts to happen I'll have to back away and reassese. I don't want a bundle tied up in another rod. I want something to occupy my time and hunt parts for

alchevy

Quote from: "donsrods"We actually drove 13 hours one way to Shreveport, La, last spring

Don

Don, You probably came through my neck of the woods on that trip. I am in Vicksburg, MS on I-20 near the Mississippi River. If you get through this area again, give me a shout. See, instead of a useless trip, ya could have seen some old cars on it!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

donsrods

Great offer, I may take you up on that.  I am retiring in 2 years, and plan to travel into the west looking for some relatively rust free stuff. Florida has very little of this stuff.

Thanks for the kind offer.

Don

sirstude

Don,

Let me know when you are traveling the west,  Lots of interesting stuff around here still.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"Don,

Let me know when you are traveling the west,  Lots of interesting stuff around here still.

Doug

Keep talking, you might get me to deliver   :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Keep talking, you might get me to deliver   :D
Surely they're not going to wait for YOU to "DELIVER" in May. I hope everythings still well with that package. GPster

phat rat

Here's a pic of the truck chopped. Hey we work fast around here. LOL One of the guys on the Hamb photo-chopped it

Man you retired guys are quick.....at this rate I'll see it finished in Louisville :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Rayvyn

Quote from: "40"Man you retired guys are quick.....at this rate I'll see it finished in Louisville :P

Ain't it amazing how their work just flies out of the shop, even with them getting up at 4:am, going to bed by 7:00pm, cricked knees, arthritic shoulders, one hand holding their bad hip and the other scratching their ***, bifocals on the end of their nose so they can see the instructions from across the room, sore neck, shin splints, pants pulled up around their chests showing their kneehigh black socks, and going to the restroom every 15 minutes because of the high Metamucil intake...??  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I wish I had that much time to spare... :D

Lookin' good, Bob!!  :b-d:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...