So what has everybody been up to?

Started by Fat Cat, November 19, 2005, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Carps, That looks to much like Don's coupe to be a coincidence.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Cword

Carp's

I want to know where you found a scale wheel barrow for the firewall.

and

How you're going to weave up a scale straw hat.

Mike
--

Grandadeo

Been retired for 2 years and enjoying every minute of it.  That is until the 'ol nuclear power plant called me back in early September to help out during a refueling outage for a few months.  Nine plus hours a day, 7 days a week really puts a dent in your free time.  Got some good and bad news last night at work.  The bad news is Sunday night should be my last day of work, the good news is Sunday night should be my last day of work.  I can get back to being retired.

Going to tear into the '32 roadster in about 2 weeks for a long overdue rewire, steering column and shaft change out, and anything else we find to get it ready for next season.  Oh wait, we don't have a roadster season here in Florida, its year round except when the big winds are a blowin.  When we thought hurricane Gamma was coming this way I got on the internet and checked out a little town in NC that looked like a good spot to relocate to, until I saw it was going to be 30 degrees that night.  So much for moving north.  Gotta stick with the plan of traveling north and west during the summer and winter here.

The '48 Ford F-1 Panel Truck - soon to be a M-47 Mercury Panel Truck is coming close to being ready for paint at the body shop.  The guy is doing a great job but it is costing a bunch.  Time and materials - now you know why I went back to work for a few months.  When I find that just-right maroon it will come home for mechanics and then uphostery.  Then it will be ready for the next project to get finished.  Building a '47 Ken-Skill Klone teardrop trailer.  Plans are to clone an original Ken-Skill except make it 5 feet wide for senior comfort.  Sum and George are on the same Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailer web site where I've been hanging out trying to gleen as much info as I can and meeting a whole bunch of great teardrop folks.

So that's my story and I guess I'll stick to it unless a better one comes along.  Planning to drive to the Roadster Show in June but take our time this go round to enjoy the trip as well as the time in LA.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Carps

Quote from: "Cword"Carp's

I want to know where you found a scale wheel barrow for the firewall.
Toys R Us!  It was in a set of garden equipment for some little mousey looking characters.

QuoteHow you're going to weave up a scale straw hat.

Mike
Already go that too, it'll be sitting on the front seat.

And.....  it'll even have some genuine Bonneville salt on the floor!
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Cword

Quote from: "Carps"
And.....  it'll even have some genuine Bonneville salt on the floor!

Right on!  scale salt :)

Here's how my project is progressing
--

Carps

Lookin' good Mike, how about the rest of the pump?

Here's a model I finished recently.  Channelled '34 coupe, built from the stocker AMT '34 kit just the way we do the big ones.  That is, using the best bits from the original and a bunch of assorted stuff from the junk/leftovers box.

Bobbed rear fenders cut from stockers and the engine is Revell parts pack Caddy.  The wheels, came from the parts box, tyres, equally obscure.  Front crossmember was reworked to get it lower, axle is drilled and wishbones split with brakeets added to chassis and ends located by brass pins.  AMT Deuce grille, headlights from Revell/Monogram Deuce coupe, stands made from wire as are tailamp brackets, aluminium tube exhausts and various fabricateed brackets etc.  Steering wheel is from '50 Ford, 'Mexican blannket on seat from Mrs Carps scrap fabric box.

The interior tub and seat were sectioned whilst the firewall was made from flat plastic and covered with bare metal, chrome foil.  Radiator hoses are real rubber.   :shock:

If you look really close, you'll notice that the photoetched license frame on the back is bears the name of Toyota dealer.   :wink:   Couldn't resist that one.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Carps

It's my Pal 'Nobby's' 60th birthday this weekend so I spent a few nights doing this for his gift.  A bottle of quality bourbon packed inside should make him a happy camper.   Probably throw the box away with the wrapping.   :lol:  :lol:

Carps

Crosley.In.AZ

nice work on the box and the contents
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

32 Chevy

I got my deer early season, with my homemade recurve bow and wood arrows. Classic spot and stalk  stuff; saw her through the binocs 1 1/2 miles away. A three hour stalk to 15 yards to where she was bedded and that was that. But don't ask me about the 4 or 5 other deer that I blew stalks on for the previous week.

I found a neat under dash original A/C unit for the 56 ford, and plan to have tha installes by next summer. The 32 chev is still 'almost' finished, just like last yrear and the year before that.

The project I'm enthused about and working on now is the 56 Century Rrsorter. The engine is out and the boat is upside down to replace the entire bottom planking and battens. Flipping the boat upside down without damaging anything was a real knuckle biting exrecise. Whew! Actually the wood looks great. No rot anywhere but the mahogany is dry and brittle from age. I'll be using all new wood saturated in epoxy and bedded in 3m 5200 polysulphide caulking.

Around the home front, it's busy here because the daughter and son in law decided to build a new house and sold the one they were living in....so now they are living with mom and pop. Their original plan was to be in the new house by Christmas, but being naive forgot that you have to get a building permit...now they just found out that some wetland was found on the property where they want to build....Ouch

Cheers,
Dave

parklane

Quote from: "32 Chevy"I got my deer early season, with my homemade recurve bow and wood arrows. Classic spot and stalk  stuff; saw her through the binocs 1 1/2 miles away. A three hour stalk to 15 yards to where she was bedded and that was that. But don't ask me about the 4 or 5 other deer that I blew stalks on for the previous week.

I found a neat under dash original A/C unit for the 56 ford, and plan to have tha installes by next summer. The 32 chev is still 'almost' finished, just like last yrear and the year before that.

The project I'm enthused about and working on now is the 56 Century Rrsorter. The engine is out and the boat is upside down to replace the entire bottom planking and battens. Flipping the boat upside down without damaging anything was a real knuckle biting exrecise. Whew! Actually the wood looks great. No rot anywhere but the mahogany is dry and brittle from age. I'll be using all new wood saturated in epoxy and bedded in 3m 5200 polysulphide caulking.

Around the home front, it's busy here because the daughter and son in law decided to build a new house and sold the one they were living in....so now they are living with mom and pop. Their original plan was to be in the new house by Christmas, but being naive forgot that you have to get a building permit...now they just found out that some wetland was found on the property where they want to build....Ouch

Cheers,
Dave

Dave.... is that under dash unit similar to the one for a 59 Ford?? I picked one of those up a couple of years ago to put in my 56. BTW it's cheaper living at your house than the kids own house :wink:  :roll:

John :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

32 Chevy

John

The underdash unit I have came froma 65 Mustang. It fits real nice under the 56 dash . The engine in the 56 is a 5.0 H.O with the original serpentine belt and A/C compressor. A local A/C outfit said if I installed the underdash unit they could easily do the rest if the installation.

Dave

Sean

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

Lets hear your story.

Fat Cat

Since I attained a management position with my company, I'm pretty well worn out by the time I get home. I don't spend much time on the internet anymore. Between dealing with other contractors on the jobsites, and trying to keep my guys working efficiently all day, I have decided that management isn't quite as easy as I had thought... :wink:

GPster

Quote from: "Sean"I have decided that management isn't quite as easy as I had thought... :wink:
It's easier for your superiors. GPster

Carps

Quote from: "Sean"[....... I have decided that management isn't quite as easy as I had thought.

Nice to hear some acknowledgement that it aint so easy on the other side of the fence.

I've never had a nervous twitch or shakey hand on pay day.  Welcome to the real world.   :wink:
Carps

TJ's Dad

Quote from: "Carps"A bottle of quality bourbon

Inferior quality as it isnt from my 'Still'  :lol:  :lol:  ............ wish Nobby a Happy 60th from me ..... he's certainly an Aussie rodding icon and a bloody nice bloke too !

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.