So what has everybody been up to?

Started by Fat Cat, November 19, 2005, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

As the subject implies. Things have been somewhat dead around here. What has everyone been doing that is keeping them away from here.

I will start with my story. I was able to gain active employment about a month ago. I am now working for a small company that sells new and used motor homes as well as used semi tractors and trailers. I have also been spending most of my online time playing a game called Space: Glory through Conquest. I have not been doing much in the way of car related activities. On the weekends I have been helping enjenjo install a 350 TPI motor in his old Fleetline. I have also spent many of my evenings with my lovely bride of almost 1 year. I am still sure we made the right choice but I can't say she thinks so. You will have to ask her.

Lets hear your story.

Fat Cat

GPster

My computor time I've been spending here. When there's nothing new here I go to Ol Skool classified and HAMB classisfieds to see if anybody needs something I got, then I go to solitare. I can't devote time to anything and when I start anything my lasting amounts to about an hour. I've been doing enough things to keep from being depressed about not getting anything accomplished but not enough to see that I've got anything done. Now someone add a happy story so I've got something good to read. GPster

enjenjo

I'm in Las Vegas again  :lol:  In the last month or so, I reroofed one of my buildings, tried without success to patch the roof on another, and worked out in the shop. I also sold some stuff on the HAMB, so I have been packing and shipping that too. I decided I had too much stuff, and someone else needed to care for it a while. I still want to get rid of some project cars, I need to thin the herd a bit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I haven't been here much for a while and some people have PM'd me to ask if anything was wrong.  Sue was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer.  She had surgery and went through radiation treatments for 2 months.  The prognosis is good.  They think they got it in time.  I've also got some health problems, probably related to exposure to isocyanates in paint.  I've not posted anything about any of this because we don't want to make a big deal out of anything.  We are just living life.  There have been some changes tho.  I've sold a couple of project cars that I would probably have never done and am getting rid of a bunch of packrat junk.  This seems like a good time for a shameless plug for  my Ebay auctions.  

With some of the project cars gone I've got room to do some simpler things.  I'm working on the motorized bicycle a little and building a couple of camping trailers.  I'm gonna do a post with a couple pics of the bike soon.  When I get moving on one of the trailers again I'll do a post on that too.  

This fall is busy with home and cabin work weekends and a lot less computer time.   With winter coming I hope to hang out here more.  I consider a lot of you people friends and I feel bad that I haven't spent much time here for a while.
George

alchevy

I've been going through the old routine...work, eat, sleep; work, eat, sleep....you get the idea.

Last Sunday, since it was close to Veteran's Day, a bunch of us tried to have a cruise to two VA homes, but the rainy weather made us postpone it until this Sunday where we will try it again. Last year was the first year, they did this and it was really appreciated by the VETS, so they are trying to get more cars out this year. I was not able to make it to last year's event because I could not be in two places at one time...still can't do that, but I don't have anything in the way for this Sunday afternoon.

After Thanksgiving Day, I will be heading down to the Rod Run Reuion in Pensacola, FL. Not a reuion for me since it will be my first trip to this one.

Got in the 2005 NSRA Nats video this week and it's another good one with two hours of fun times at the Nats!

I was going to be in Jasper, TX this weekend at a car show, but decided on Pensacola instead.

Short week next week at work, so maybe I can do more of that eat & sleep thing with less work, HA!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Leon

Just got back from a week in Hawaii.  Since I finished the teardrop trailer I've been able to get back to work on the Packrod.  Reshaping the cowl area to eliminate the vent, and changing the hood line to follow the windshield area where the vent used to be.  Looks a lot cleaner than just filling the cowl vent.  Shortened the axle housing for the lakester, got the axles back to fit the shorter housing.  just about done with the front and rear axles.

btrc

I haven't been doing much, mostly stuff for other people.  I just tore down the front suspension on my 63 Comet to switch it to disc brakes and rack and pinion steering.  Not much to do with the 37 this winter after a trouble free summer of cruising.  Only thing wrong was I didn't do enough of it.   Also making plans to rebuild the 427 in the Cobra.  Making plans but don't know exactly where the cash will come from to do it.  It's been 16 years now so could use some freshening.

Bob
Bob

GPster

Quote from: "purplepickup"This seems like a good time for a shameless plug for  my Ebay auctions.  
That emergency brake lever seems like it would be too hard to build a floor around. That is one thing I miss about our latest forum with that kind of thing not enabled, but I realize some of the problems. There seems to be a differant class of people on the two other sites I lurk at. There seems to be a lot of talk but not as much selling and my selling is mostly concentrated on helping someone out so I rely on a good friend to act as my go between.GPster

Uncle Bob

I'm still in Vegas too, got my Dodge back from Carl (kroozn) a few days ago.  Spent the previous few weeks with SEMA and maintenance around the house (must be something in the air here).  Now that the Dodge is back in the garage it's go through the suspension time and work on detailing small parts for reassembly next trip.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

WZ JUNK

I have been working on the 54 Chevy project the last few weeks.  I want to get it to run and drive so that it will be easier to move in and out of the shop when I have time to work on it.  I am sending the inner front-end sheet metal to the blaster this week.  Brakes, steering, fuel system, core support, shroud and some other things are done.  The next big step will be the hook up for the computer for the throttle body.

I am also building a Mach I Mustang for a customer.  It is not much fun but I need to make some money for my other projects.

Sumner was here yesterday and at Hooleys Friday.   Hooley and Sumner were working on a new sensor mounting for the air/fuel mixture sender.  I watched them work.  Sumner  got us a NASCAR roof flap assembly and I have been looking at it this morning.  I will need to modify it a lot to make it work on the Studebaker but it should make the car safer if it spins.  We also talked about modifying the roll cage in the area around Hooley's helmet.  We want to limit his head movement, if something should go wrong.

I got a billboard movie poster from New Zealand yesterday for the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian".  I am looking forward to seeing the movie when it opens here.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Just enjoying the weather ....we've had a few inches of snow and a few nasty days already but overall,it's been an awesome late Fall! It is sunny and 46 out this afternoon which allowed me to drive the 36 on it's maiden voyage!There is lots of sand/salt all over the roads already but I couldn't resist :D ....only went a few miles but as you all know....there's nothing like taking a car you've just finished for it's first drive!Everything seemed to function just as it should....a couple of noises to chase down but overall I'm elated at how it goes down the road.
   We built 3 custom homes and 1 cabin this year.....that's a bit more work than we usually tackle and I'm ready for a few weeks off unless something not on the radar pops up.With the increased cost of building materials over the summer and the ripp-off at the gasoline pumps.....I'm fairly certain that the increased amount of work probably resulted in a smaller net profit.I had bid these projects before the hurricanes or the oil companies decided to rape us and chose not to renegotiate the contracts which resulted in me making additional friends but not much money :roll:
   Like most everyone else,I've got to finish preparing for the upcoming Winter.....Better not waste the rest of this gorgeous day!Does anyone else get extremely depressed at the thought of it being totally dark before 5 O'Clock?? I did take some photos of the 36 and will post them if anyone's interested.....See Ya!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Been in the woods missing deer :lol: Till today I missed 3 but I took the dumb long shots. Finially got my S@#$T together ..
This is  how my sunday went ...
Shot the doe about 7:10 am and didnt know if I hit her or not. Was waiting untill 8 am to go look when the spike walked out 60 yards away. Dropped him in his tracks. Waited for my buddy cause I forgot my knife.(what a hunter eh) So I decided to go look for the doe and when I found the blood trail I walked back to the truck I had parked next to the buck and waited. We tracked the doe for about 20 minutes and found her then drug her 300 yards thru the swamp. Man im tired im going to sit out tonite and tomorrow and tomorrow nite. We cut my sons 2 up yesterday ! Thats why I forgot my knife. Im putting the shotgun away and im going with my new muzzleloader now we got meat so im going for sport. If I get another ill prolly give it away.
So far where we hunt we have a 6 point a 10 point my spike and my doe...
Ya im stoked :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Finally got horns after 4 years of renewing
my love for hunting and getting a place to do it. The 32 is in the garage covered up and im having a ball although ive been up at 4:30 am since tuesday and in the stand by 6 am..... Got my grand daughter comming turkey day and I may just stay home and spoil her. Sue is in Ft Wayne now for the her birthday but they know I hunt so. I do keep asking her mother why deer season.
Dave
ps: congrats on the job Frank................

jaybee

Getting ready to start my 4th week of training with a new company.  That's left me living out of a motel with no wi-fi during the week so I've stolen a few minutes here and there to peak at the internet but during the weekend I'm mostly ignoring the computer in preference for limited family time.  Hopefully I'll be back at home full time after Thanksgiving.

I didn't say much about it, but the last job went spinning out of control in a hurry.  I found myself working for a complete a-hole whose philosophy of management is "you get the best work out of people if you continually hold a gun to their heads" (his words, not mine).  My people were obviously totally beaten down and unwilling to stick their necks out, and turnover was constant.  This nightmare quickly absorbed my entire life and even affected my marriage.  Now I've taken a step down in order to stay in the same geographic area, but the reduction in pay wasn't too bad and I really like the company.  Opportunity could be down the road as well.

The lesson I learned: If you find you've made a bad career decision cut and run early.  It isn't worth the trouble.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

SKR8PN

Since I am out of the streetrod business for awhile.........I been playin' with my new toy,making it MINE and making a bigger,faster,better engine and transmission for it :shock:
I am building a 470 low deck stroker,full roller engine,and the trans will be a reverse pattern,low band apply,with a trans brake,also fully rollerized.
I plan on getting in the nines at a buck-fifty next year........
Street tires,thru the mufflers :shock:
ALL THROTTLE-NO BOTTLE  :shock:  :lol:
I have also carpeted the enclosed trailer,added polished diamond plate runners,new work bench and tool boxes,plus a bunch of other stuff to make our trips to the track,a bit easier.
Other than than,I ain't been up to TO much :lol:

If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

chopped

Don't think any of you should remember me but I have been hanging around for a couple years. Maybe a re-intro? Moved twice in the last two years, now near Daytona. Be 60 in a couple, didn't  retire, just stopped working. Have a 36 Chevy w/250. Just added a 4:10 and a 700r4 in the last couple weeks.  Skip (the other Skip)