Attention MrLoBoy

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, October 14, 2005, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Please, Please, Please, update your pals here on the RRT as to what you and your shop have been up to lately.  I'm so very proud of you and the guys.  You've accomplish GREAT things the last fews years and I feel your friends here would be very interested in hearing about them.

I would LOVE to copy and paste parts of your email but I don't feel it's my place to do so.  I would like, and I feel others would too, to hear and see (perhaps photos) of the rods your shop has been turning out.

PLEASE consider giving us an update on how LoBoys, and the "Field of Dreams" is doing.

xoxoxo
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Lithgow-Mick

Oi, hows the wedding plans comming along.  :shock:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If its not a Flattie
Then it wouldn,t pull a Sailor
Off Ya Sister

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "Lithgow-Mick"Oi, hows the wedding plans comming along.  :shock:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well sweetie, I missed you while I was gone BUT planning this wedding business by myself is just no fun.  If your not going to come over and help I just might have to reconsider.  By the way, I have yet to get my ring in the mail... you kow, that 5 caret rock that you promised :shock:   Perhaps you should just come deliver it yourself. :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

mrloboy

Okay Denise! You shamed me into it. It has been awhile since I last posted on the board, but I have been lurking, keeping tabs on y'all!

We have been very busy in the shop and with only three of us working, it is hard to get ahead. My goal has always been to keep the website up to date with the current projects, but finding the time to update the pages can be taxing. Meeting deadlines means more time in the shop, less time on the 'puter. With winter just around the corner, I should hopefully find time on the long cold dark evenings.

This past week, we finished a '39 Plymouth Coupe for a customer from Edmonton and I took a ton of pics for the website. I will hopefully get these pages done up before too long.

We are also building a '60 Olds hardtop for a customer in Sydney Australia. It has been an interesting project. BBC with a TH400, air ride, 20" wheels, 13" brakes. We switched the car to "right-hook" as well.

We have another ten projects on the go or waiting in line at this time. a few odd-rods, like a '41 Diamond "T" pickup and a '28 REO Speedwagon, complete with an LS1 and 4 wheel independent from Billy's Rod Shop as well as some run of the mill streetrods, 2 '47 Chev's, 40 plymouth with a 383, a '56 Mercury pickup.

My son Andrew and I have begun a new project of our own. It is a '49 Chev 5W pickup. The chassis is done as is 90% of the bodywork. In the wings for Andrew is a '50 Mercury Monarch. My daughter Jessica is working on a 1984 S10 with a SBC as well as a '30 "A" Coupe, also with a SBC. I haven't decided which of my projects to do yet. I have narrowed it down to my '37 Chevy coupe, my 32 Ford Fordor or the '52 Buick Roadmaster convertible. Between the Kids and the customers, it will likely be awhile before I need to make that call :)

The Field of Dreams changes all the time. I am still collecting what I can find (and afford!) and selling off a few cars from time to time. I had a big run on Model "A" stuff as of late. The "traditionalist" are gobbling them up quickly.

I sure enjoy checking through the RRT board on a daily basis. There is a wealth of information from a lot of talented and knowledgeable people here. It has helped me out a time or two as I am sure the rest of you can relate to.                          rick

enjenjo

Can you post a link to your website, I would like to see pictures. I know what you mean about being busy, I can work 24 hours a day if I want to. I have a 47 Diamont T model 201 cab and chassis here, they are neat old trucks.

What did you do for a chassis under the 49 pickup? I am in the starting phase of a 53, and considering building my own chassis.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

The chassis on the 49 was built 20 years ago. I put it together for a friend who was wanting a daily driver, and like most of us, on a tight budget. We used the stock frame rails (boxed) and grafted the front and rear suspension from a '75 Malibu. I works fine with stock GM wheels, but is a little too wide. A 78-84 malibu would have been a better choice. I will post some pics when I have a chance. I have built 10 or twelve of these pickups since. all with Mustang II clips and chassis engineering style rear leafs. The leafs gives them a choppier ride, but still comfortable. The pickup came with a 350 and a 4-spd, though now the engine is seized.

I have a first series 55 5W pickup as well. I intend on going with a heidt's front clip on that one. I have used a lot of different crossmembers, but have found the quality on Heidts to be the most consistent. I would like to hear from others that may have found otherwise. One always needs to keep up on available product quality.

The Diamond "T" we have here began as a 1-1/2" ton dual wheel grain truck. I used a '47 IHC KB2 frame, shortened 20" to get the ride height I wanted. After that was accomplished we found a parts truck. A single wheeled one ton with a rare fleetside style box. The frame on it would lend itself well to being dropped in the weeds. (Maybe a second "T"!)

You can find more info on the "T" and my other projects at www.loboys.com

enjenjo

The reason I asked to see how you did it. The plan for my 53 is to use a 74 Nova clip, and fabricate the rest of the frame from tubing to fit the cab. I have a custom in mind with the body channeled between the fenders. Possibly use a model T stude truck boc with chevy fenders

I have a 59 Chevy pickup, with a Camaro clip on the front, and a narrowed  S10 clip in the rear with a Camao rear end. It's just enough wider than the earlier trucks that a Camaro fits nice. The S10 rear clip was for more frame kickup, It worked out good, bottom of the body is about 4" front and rear.

I've used a couple Weedeater front crossmembers, I like them too.

I see your Diamond T is the short hood model, I think all of them up to the 501 had short hoods. I like the use if front fenders on the rear, makes it flow better. Most of the rubber you will need for the cab is available from a guy in Iowa I think, if you need his info, I'll dig it out.

Lots of good stuff on your web site. Thanks

Crosley.In.AZ

I ain't much help on the series 1 trucks. I had a 1948 Chevy truck I swapped out  suspensions

I used a OE mustang II crossmember with after market tube A arms. Shell Valley A arms?

The truck was a 3/4 ton , so the chassis/frame  was different from the 1/2 ton.

I shortened the frame , shortened the bed, chopped the top.... never finished it , although it ran and drove.  A fellow asked me "how much?" , I sold the truck to him.  It has not turned a lick since we parked it in his garage 7 years ago

Used a 1976 Camaro rear diff & leaf springs under the 48.

that Diamond T , the front fenders on the rear is an amazing idea.  The flow of the truck is much better.  I would have had the truck painted before I had thought of that trick.  :oops:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Frank,

I did a 73 Nova subframe in a 50 Chevy PU for a friend.  He insisted on that clip.  With stock steel front wheels, the fenders sit on the tires.  Just too wide.  Either use the Metric chevy front ends (2.5 inches narrower), of do like a friend of mine did, use the Pacer front end.  It looks like a MII but is much heavier.  The nice thing about the Pacer or MII front ends, is they are rack and pinion and you don't have to fight the steering box.  The late Nova (after 1970) is the same width as the Camaro stuff of the same years.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"Frank,

I did a 73 Nova subframe in a 50 Chevy PU for a friend.  He insisted on that clip.  With stock steel front wheels, the fenders sit on the tires.  Just too wide.  Either use the Metric chevy front ends (2.5 inches narrower), of do like a friend of mine did, use the Pacer front end.  It looks like a MII but is much heavier.  The nice thing about the Pacer or MII front ends, is they are rack and pinion and you don't have to fight the steering box.  The late Nova (after 1970) is the same width as the Camaro stuff of the same years.

Doug

I believe you must have had a later nova clip, 75 to 79. I measured the Nova clip I have, and it measures 56 1/2", the same as the later front steer metric clips.

purplepickup

Quote from: "mrloboy"**snip**We have been very busy in the shop **snip**we finished a '39 Plymouth Coupe**snip**We are also building a '60 Olds hardtop**snip**We have another ten projects on the go or waiting in line**snip**a '41 Diamond "T" pickup and a '28 REO Speedwagon**snip**2 '47 Chev's, 40 plymouth with a 383, a '56 Mercury pickup. **snip**My son Andrew and I have begun a new project of our own. It is a '49 Chev 5W pickup.**snip** In the wings for Andrew is a '50 Mercury Monarch. **snip**My daughter Jessica is working on a 1984 S10 **snip**a '30 "A" Coupe**snip**my '37 Chevy coupe, my 32 Ford Fordor or the '52 Buick Roadmaster convertible.
rick

My gosh Rick :shock: where in the world do you get all that ambition?  Not to mention the knowledge and skill to build the beauties I see on your website.  Your field of dreams has always impressed me too.  

I'm glad to hear you still stop by when you can.  You're a valuable asset to those of us that don't always know what we're doing. :D
George

mrloboy

The customer has all new rubber for the cab. He also located a clean grille, although it was painted and he wants a chrome piece. We'll see how the plating shop likes it! We have a good plater that does wonderful work on die-cast and pot-metal trim in Winnipeg.

The response on the "T" has been fantastic. We have restorers e-mailing with compliments! That doesn't happen alot! One fellow e-mailed me with pics of his current restoration project. He said with the influence of our project, he is looking for a second "T" to streetrod once the restoration is complete.

Wait 'til you see the proposed "B" model Mack we are working on!

Rick

Rick...Good to see you back around here!Looks like you've been busy!Are you shoveling snow yet???
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

mrloboy

Hi Daryle!   We did get a foot of snow a couple weeks ago, but the weather turned and it has been nice since. The storm closed all the major roads for a day or so and the heavy snow and high winds knocked down some power lines. I was without power for a day and a half. Just had to remind myself of the problems our neighbors down around the gulf have, and it made things not so bad up here.    rick

sirstude

Frank,

Anything is possible,  the guy whose truck it was said that it was a 73.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us