Hot Rods & Haute Cuisine part deaux - Hotels & Itine

Started by DRD57, May 12, 2005, 04:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

Here are my suggestions for hotels and the itinerary for next month's trip to SoCal in conjunction with the LA Roadster Show. Feel free to add or subtract anything you like. I have NOT called any of the listed establishments to warn them of your pending arrival. In some cases there are probably more suggestions than there would be time to see, adjust accordingly.

Hot Rods & Haute Cuisine
                                 part deaux
                          June 15 – 19, 2005

Wednesday:
Breakfast  J&D's Country Café
   1082 E. Cypress St.
   Covina, CA 91724

1.   Bill's Hot Rod Company
               1064 E. Edna Place
               Covina, CA 91724
               626-332-1915

2.   Early Ford Store
               108 W. Bonita
               San Dimas, CA 91773
               909-305-1955

3.   NHRA Motorsports Museum
               1101 W. McKinley Ave
               Pomona, CA 91768
               909-622-2133

Lunch   Tommy's Burgers
   1627 Fullerton Road
   Rowland Heights. CA 91748

4.   CW Moss
               402 W. Chapman Ave
               Orange, CA 92866
               714-639-3083

Dinner      Speedzone
              17871 Castleton St.
              City of Industry, CA 91748
              626-913-9663

Thursday:

Breakfast   LeRoy's
   523 W. Huntington Dr.
   Monrovia, CA 91016
               626-357-3359

1.   Justice Brother's Museum
               2734 Huntington Dr.
               Duarte, CA 91010
               626-359-9174

2.   Mooneyes
               10820 Norwalk Blvd.
               Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
               562-944-6311

3.   LimeWorks
               7717 Greenleaf Ave
               Whittier, CA 90602
               562-698-1227

Lunch:   Frisco's
   18065 E. Gale Ave.
   Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
   626-913-3663

4.   Deuce Factory
               424 Rowland Ave
               Santa Ana, CA 92707
               714-546-5596

5.   TCI
               1416 Brooks St.
               Ontario, CA 91762   
               909-984-1773

6.   Classic Street Rod Mfg.
               760 E. Francis St. Suite O
               Ontario, CA 91761
               909-923-3233

7.   Currie Ent.
               1480 N. Tustin Ave.
               Anaheim, CA 92807
               714-528-6957

Dinner      Cruise Night or Grudge Drags at Irwindale Drag Strip

Friday:

Breakfast:   Arthur's
   1281 E. La Habra Blvd.
   La Habra, CA 90631
   562-691-7793

1.   Boyd's
               811 E. Lambert Road
               La Habra, CA 90631
               562-691-8215

2.   Barry's White's Street Rods
               1640 Commerce
               Corona, CA 92880
               951-273-9204

Lunch    In-N-Out

3.   West Coast Choppers
               718 W. Anaheim St.
               Long Beach, CA 90813
               562-983-6666

Dinner      SoCal Speed Shop Open House / Party
   1357 E. Grand Ave.
   Pomona, CA 91766

Alternate Friday

Breakfast:   Arthur's

1.   PAW
               12861 Sherman Way
               North Hollywood, CA 91605
               818-503-0356

2.   Peterson Automotive Museum
               6060 Wilshire Blvd
               Los Angeles, CA 90036
               323-930-2277

Dinner      Bob's Big Boy
              4211 W. Riverside Drive
              Burbank, CA 91505
              818-843-9334

Saturday & Sunday:
LA Roadster Show at the Fairplex in Pomona (right behind the NHRA Museum)
Early risers may want to hit the Donut Derelicts at the corner of Adams and Magnolia in Huntington Beach from 6:00am – 9:00am on Saturday. It takes about 30 – 40 minutes to get there from West Covina.
Saturday afternoon/evening is the Bar-B-Que at Bob Beck's place in Burbank.

Hotel Recommendations:

Court Yard Inn
   2804 East Garvey Ave South
   West Covina, CA 91791
   626-915-6077

5 Star Inn
   2748 East Garvey Ave South   
   West Covina, CA 91791
   626-331-3161

Best Western West Covina Inn
   3275 East Garvey Ave North
   West Covina, CA 91791
   626-915-1611

Hampton Inn
   3145 East Garvey Ave North
   West Covina, CA 91791
   626-967-5800

Holiday Inn
   3223 East Garvey Ave North
   West Covina, CA 91791
   626-966-8311

purplepickup

Wow Don, thanks for putting this all together. 8)   If that list doesn't change some people's mind I don't know what will.

Folks, this is the RRT party of a lifetime.  The last one was 5 years ago and I didn't get to go but I sure was jealous of those that did.  That was all they could talk about for a long time.  Everyone had a great time.  In case anyone wants to see what the first one was like there's pictures here and the itinerary for the week in 2000 is here .  

Come on boys and girls, don't miss this one....who knows what the future holds.  It's the hot rodding opportunity of a lifetime to get to see so much and hang with the best people you could ever hope to meet.  Go in debt....hock your honey's car...whatever it takes..... BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!!   :P>  ~:)

P.S.  Are we racing pinewood derby cars or something this year?  If so, are there rules?
George

av8

Quote from: "DRD57"Here are my suggestions for hotels and the itinerary for next month's trip to SoCal in conjunction with the LA Roadster Show. . .

Excellent itinerary, Don. I wish I could join in for the full package. I hope to see everyone at Pomona on Saturday and then at Bobaloo's  that evening for the BBQ.

enjenjo

QuoteP.S. Are we racing pinewood derby cars or something this year? If so, are there rules?

If we race, which depends on someone having a track there, we had two classes in the past, Cub scout rules for one class, the rules come with the kit, and outside of size, same as cub scout rules no limits on the unlimited class.

I'm going to post a link to this post on the HAMB too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ric

The whole itinerary sounds great, I am trying to get down for thursday, will be there friday for sure, may fly friday and hook up some where along the line.

DrJ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteP.S. Are we racing pinewood derby cars or something this year? If so, are there rules?

If we race, which depends on someone having a track there, we had two classes in the past, Cub scout rules for one class, the rules come with the kit, and outside of size, same as cub scout rules no limits on the unlimited class.

I'm going to post a link to this post on the HAMB too.

We have a two lane "drag strip" track ready to race on that will be at Bob's house the first week of June.
so
BRING THOSE PINEWOOD RACE CARS!!!
We will also have accurate scales to weigh in for the "by the rules" racing.
(The only "gravity racing" that makes any sense to me...?!)

river1

Court Yard Inn
2804 East Garvey Ave South
West Covina, CA 91791
626-915-6077

5 Star Inn
2748 East Garvey Ave South
West Covina, CA 91791
626-331-3161

Best Western West Covina Inn
3275 East Garvey Ave North
West Covina, CA 91791
626-915-1611

Hampton Inn
3145 East Garvey Ave North
West Covina, CA 91791
626-967-5800

Holiday Inn
3223 East Garvey Ave North
West Covina, CA 91791
626-966-8311

anybody make their reservations yet?

are we going to stay at the same hotel all week or switch to make the next days drive easier?

kinda wanna get mine done but would like to be at the same hotel as the rest of the riff raff for parking lot social activities. OK drinking.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

DRD57

The listed hotels are all within a few blocks of each other (and about 5 miles from the Fairplex) and should be good for all nights. The exception being anyone who plans to do the alternate Friday itinerary which includes the Peterson museum and Bob's Big Boy, may want to stay in the Burbank area Thursday and maybe Friday nights.

Grandadeo

Hey Don, are you going to bring back that LITTLE trophy you won last time with your '40 ford coupe  to pass on to some other lucky winner?
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

purplepickup

Ok you left coast guys.....I hope you're ready for some competition.  Just cuz you got Boyd and DRD57...that don't scare me.  I just got me an "offishull" 75th Anniversary edition Pinewood Derby car kit.....cost a whole $3.55.  Here's what it looks like.

Now, before I start carving, what are the official rules?  I did a search and found a lot of sites with mostly similar rules.  Some had some extra stuff like no running in the building, no pushing or shoving.   I'm kind of wondering about things like wheelbase (per the grooves in the block?), start with an official Cub Scout kit?, is 3/8" enough ground clearance for the track?, does the body have to extend beyond the front wheels?, lubricants allowed?

...and the unlimited class....is it really unlimited or should it be kept below 400 hp? :twisted:

Now I've got to get my Chip Foose sketch pad out and come up with a design.  I'm going to the cabin this weekend and it will be a good time to do some sippin' shine & whittlin' :D
George

enjenjo

You see that piece of paper in the box? They are called In-sruc-tions. Now hard as this is to believe, the of-fic-ial rules, are in the in-sruc-tions. I understand this is a new concept. You're welcome :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"You see that piece of paper in the box? They are called In-sruc-tions. Now hard as this is to believe, the of-fic-ial rules, are in the in-sruc-tions. I understand this is a new concept. You're welcome :lol:
I'll look again when I get home (my home computer is shot), but the only rules I think I saw were pretty general.... some maximum measurements (no minimums) for height, width, length, weight, and maybe altering the wheelbase.  I think it said that different tracks have different clearance requirements.  That's why I wondered about the 3/8" clearance.  And it doesn't say anything about the body needing to extend beyond the front tires.  Seein' as my design would look better with the radiator shell about even with the front axle I wondered if that would be a problem.

I know.....I'm getting way too technical.  The car I built when I was 8 years old is prolly better than this one will be.....and it lost out in the first round. :shock:
George

Grandadeo

Did we get a confirmation from Don Sr. and Mickey yet?
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

DrJ

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "enjenjo"You see that piece of paper in the box? They are called In-sruc-tions. Now hard as this is to believe, the of-fic-ial rules, are in the in-sruc-tions. I understand this is a new concept. You're welcome :lol:
...I think it said that different tracks have different clearance requirements.  That's why I wondered about the 3/8" clearance.  And it doesn't say anything about the body needing to extend beyond the front tires.  Seein' as my design would look better with the radiator shell about even with the front axle I wondered if that would be a problem.

I know.....I'm getting way too technical.  The car I built when I was 8 years old is prolly better than this one will be.....and it lost out in the first round. :shock:

The 3/8" ground clearance is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
I BUILT THE TRACK so I KNOW THIS!!!
There is a 1/4" tall, and 1-3/4" wide wheel guide strip going down the middle of the lane that the wheels have to STRADDLE.
If you "LOWER" your car it WON"T GO ANYWHERE because it will be LAYING FRAME on the 1/4" high center guide instead of rolling on it's wheels!!!!!
The track is about 38 feet long, fast, and just "bumpy" enough to be unpredictably fun!

Follow these rules; http://pack146.nova.org/pinewood/rules.html

Excerpted from that site;
Length, Width & Clearance

*   Maximum overall width (including wheels and axles) shall not exceed 2-3/4"
*   Minimum width between the left and right wheels shall be 1-3/4" so car will clear the center guide strip.
*   Minimum clearance between the bottom of the car and track shall be 3/8" so the car will clear the center guide strip.
*   Maximum length (including wheels) shall not exceed 7-1/8".
*   Maximum height shall not exceed 6".
*   The wheelbase (distance between the front and rear axles, center to center) may not be changed from the kit body distance of 4-3/8"

Wheels and axles

*   Only the wheels and axles from the official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit may be used.  
*   Axles may be lightly filed, sanded and polished to remove imperfections. This light filing, sanding and polishing is the only axle modification allowed.
*   Wheels may be lightly sanded and polished to remove imperfections. This light sanding and polishing is the only wheel modification allowed.
Weight and Appearance

*   Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces. The readings of the Official Race Scale will be considered final.
*   The car may be carved, sculpted, and/or sanded in order to enhance performance and appearance.
*   No loose materials of any kind are permitted on or inside the car.
*   Additional materials may be added to the car for the following purposes only6:
*   Weights may be added to increase the weight and/or alter the weight distribution of a car as long as the total weight does not exceed the maximum of 5 oz. for the completed car.
*   Paints/decals/decorations may be added to alter the appearance and/or aerodynamics of a car.
*   Glue may be used to affix the axles to the car body.
*   Wood putty, or a similar wood-like substance, may be used to repair minor damage, holes for weights, etc.
*   Indented noses are prohibited.

I think if you have an already built OLD car with an altered wheelbase we can let it slide as long as the overall length is by the rules.

If you don't have some part of the body in front of the wheels they are more vulnerable to damage in the "gravel pit" stopping system (a blanket in a cardboard box actually) Your call, I think our judges can see where the "indented nose" is and judge the finish from there and not the wheels.
We don't have any fancy electronics... it's a "flagman start" and "by eyeball" winner judging.

We do have digital scales and cars WILL be weighed in for the 5oz maximum and the winner weighed out!

We usually run every car against every other car and score "wins" and "losses" on a score card then the high win score cars run best two out of three runs for the final elimination.

Tests have shown that "Pinecar" brand cars' axles and wheels are slower than the official cars so go with the official kit, "Old style" round tire cars (like enjenjo has) will be OK (OK means only kosher, did ya know that?)

Hint...Some boyscout headquarters sales places only want to sell to scouts so DON'T tell them the kits you are buying aren't for a cubscout!

(The above rules subject to change if something is really wrong with the way I posted them..!)

DRD57

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Hey Don, are you going to bring back that LITTLE trophy you won last time with your '40 ford coupe  to pass on to some other lucky winner?

hahahahahahaha!

That little trophy has changed hands a few times since that event and I believe it is now proudly displayed in Nate Strube's (SamIyam's son) bedroom.

I took it all apart and stuffed the pieces in boxes for storage. The next year at Sam's Pleasanton BBQ / Pinewood derby, I carted it up there and re-assembled it while everyone else was racing. I didn't bring a car for fear that I may win another trophy even though mine was the slowest one there.

This time it went to Ken. He actually took the trophy home and re-assembled it correctly. It wasn't exactly straight when I got done putting it back together. Blame it on the beer.

Rotten Rodney was the dubious winner the third time and he did the same thing I did with it, boxed it up and we took it back up there the NEXT year. I kept telling him we needed to get a bunch of bowling trophies and baseball trophies for parts and make it REALLY big when we put it back together the next time. That never materialized so, we just put it back together kinda wobbly and crooked like I did the first time. While we were assembling it in Sam's garage, Nate, about 5 years old at the time, was standing there awestruck with eyes as wide as saucers. The trophy was at least a foot taller than he was. He said "Do you think I could ever win something like that?". Hahaha, are you kidding? We can almost guarantee it.

And so, the biggest, uglyest trophy I have ever seen, originally given to the third place finalist at the Chino Airport Car Show and Arm Wrestling Championships, found a new owner who will love and cherish it for the rset of his life, Or at least until his mom get tired of tripping over it in his bedroom.

I always wondered what the first and second place trophies looked like.