RRT 2005 California tour

Started by enjenjo, March 20, 2005, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Ok we are going to start this deal on Wednesday the 15th of June. It will wrap up the 20th. You can join in for any or all of it. We still have to decide where we are going, so I'll post a poll here to shake things out. Looks like we have nearly 30 people interested in going to at least part of it.

Museum possibilities

Peterson
NHRA
Justice Brothers
Otis Chandler (2 hr. north)
Deer Park Converible ( 2 hr south)
Nethercutt ( coat and tie)

Shop possibilities

Mooneyes
WC Choppers
Boyd's
C W Moss
Vintage Ford Parts
TCI
SoCal (open house Friday night

Cruise nights

Bob's Big Boy at Toluca lake (friday night
Giovanni's
There are others, at least one each night

Food

BBQ at Hot Rod Bob's
Tommy's
Arthur's ( breakfast)
JD's ( breakfast)
Bob's at Toluca lake
also many others, if you have a favorite, let us know.

Driving

Speed Zone
Cruise through the mountains on Angle Crest highway
Cruise up Highway 1
Irwindale grudge racing

Saturday is pretty much reserved for the LA Roadster show, except for the evening when we'll BBQ at Bob's, and race wooden cars. If you want to get up real early, we can hit the Donut Derelict run.

Let us know which ones to do, and which ones to pass, and any other suggestions. I'll leave this up for a week, and then we'll set up the schedule. Post you choices here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I'd sure like to go but it depends on how vacation shedules and money work out.   I'll probably have to fly out and back and it would be an expensive trip with rooms, food, rental car, etc.  As far as the places to visit goes...I don't care, they all sound good. :D
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'd sure like to go but it depends on how vacation shedules and money work out.   I'll probably have to fly out and back and it would be an expensive trip with rooms, food, rental car, etc.  As far as the places to visit goes...I don't care, they all sound good. :D

if i go you can fly out to phx and drive out with me. that'll save the car rental fee. i know how you feel about sharing a room but if you don't mind snoring (loud) we can share a room.  there is a possibility  for my nephew to be going so the room share might not be feasible. there is also a possibility i wont make it so don't book your flight yet.

hope you (and I) can make it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Quote from: "river1"if i go you can fly out to phx and drive out with me. that'll save the car rental fee.  there is also a possibility i wont make it so don't book your flight yet.

hope you (and I) can make it.

later jim
I just checked and a round trip flight from Detroit to PHX and back is $209 so that is definitely an option.  We can work the room thing out.  I should be able to get a room at the same motel you do....or bring ear plugs.  I'm a really light sleeper.  Sharing gas and having company sounds a lot better than renting a car.  

I'm not even back to work yet so I don't know what vacation schedules are in my department are.  Sumner's and Bonneville is my only other major trip this year so this trip is definitely an option.  We'll wait a little while and see how things work out.

Thanks for the offer Jim :D
George

DRD57

What's up with this? Two maybe's?

enjenjo told me about 30 people were planning on making this trip.

Y'all gotta tell us what you want to see and do so we can organize the intinerary.

kroozn

I will be there with Gracie and Chris ( Bleh on the Hamb and a lurker here).
Friday, Sat and Sunday only tho   :(

river1

i just became a sure thing!! i'll be there.

i'll explain later

later jim

purplepickup

Quote from: "river1"i just became a sure thing!! i'll be there.

later jim
I'm still not back to work to check vacation schedules, but if I do go, what dates should I book flights for if I fly in and out of PHX?  I don't have any preferences, I can fit into your schedule. :D
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "river1"i just became a sure thing!! i'll be there.

later jim
I'm still not back to work to check vacation schedules, but if I do go, what dates should I book flights for if I fly in and out of PHX?  I don't have any preferences, I can fit into your schedule. :D

i'm thinkin heading out of phx tues the 14. you can fly in either mon (anytime) or tues (morn or early afternoon). it is a 5 or so hour drive to the LA area so even if you get in as late as 4 on tues we can still make by 9/10 pm.

are we planning on something happening on mon the 20? or will that be a departure day?

if so we can leave early tues the 21 to get you back on a plane mid to late afternoon tues.

now if it will save you a nice amount to get in later or leave earlier go ahead and do it. we can work with/around any plane savings time.

you have a place here in phx to stay if your schedule requires it.

later jim

river1

Quote from: "DRD57"What's up with this? Two maybe's?

enjenjo told me about 30 people were planning on making this trip.

Y'all gotta tell us what you want to see and do so we can organize the intinerary.

i'm up for ANY hotrod destination you pick. you did a GREAT job for the last one and i trust your picks will be GREAT for this one. that said i'm not really a coat and tie kind of guy (Nethercutt's) but i can borrow a noose setup if needed  :wink:

we can hit some of the same places for the fellows that didn't make it last time. mix in a few new places that geographically work with other choices and it'll be a blast. staying at different places to keep drive times to a minimum is a good idea also.

later jim

Grandadeo

Grandadeo here, Haven't posted anything here in ages.  Something about the eyes of 2 hurricanes, dead computer, etc.  Just got my new roof yesterday.  I'll be out for the annual pilgrimage Thursday the 9th through Monday 1:00 AM the 20th.  I highly recommend that any of you that can afford the time away for the weekend prior to the Roadster Show take advantage of it.  Lots of stuff going on.  Don, correct me if the schedules have changed from last year, but last year there was the Rat Fink Reunion on Saturday (not sure about this year), and on Sunday you could pick from the Early Times Picnic, the Road Kings Picnic, and maybe even the Long Beach swap and El Mirage.  Plus you can hit the Donut Derilicks that Saturday morning without having to beat feet up to the Roadster Show.  

I'll be staying with my buddy Norm in Glendora and tooling around in his '53 Plymouth 2 door wagon that he bought at the Roadster Show last year.  Planned to drive the '32 out this year until I figured out that gas and $50 a day expenses would come to around $1250 for just out and back.  

George (Purplepickup), would you and anyone else be interested in hitting SoCal Teardrops in Ontario and Walt's RV Salvage in Felony Flats, I mean Fontana.  I'm "Road Trip" on the Teardrop Board and have been following your teardrop build.  Might even be able to hook up with some of the teardrop owners in SoCal like Gage who also has a '56 F100.    

Another place to add to the tour is the Early Ford Store in San Dimas not far from the Fairplex.  Bunches of new and used early ford parts packed in a neat old Building in the old down town area.  The guys I know that come out from Florida motel it at the Shilo (sp?), the old Roadster Show headquarters motel.  It's handy and right off I-10 and I-57.  Just a suggestion.  I'll be looking forward to following how the 2005 tour develops and seeing several of you from the, was it  2000 Tour.  Can't remember the year.  All I know, or at least in my opinion, if you make one biggie a year it should be the LA Roadster's Show and Swap.  

Lee
Jensen Beach, Florida
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

purplepickup

Quote from: "Grandadeo"
George (Purplepickup), would you and anyone else be interested in hitting SoCal Teardrops in Ontario and Walt's RV Salvage in Felony Flats, I mean Fontana.  I'm "Road Trip" on the Teardrop Board and have been following your teardrop build.  Might even be able to hook up with some of the teardrop owners in SoCal like Gage who also has a '56 F100.    

Lee
Jensen Beach, Florida
Lee, I wondered if anyone over there was familiar....being that teardrops and hotrods do go together for some of us.  It's a pretty nice group there.  I'm certainly doing my share of blabbering. :lol:

On this trip I'm going to be a good travelling companion and go wherever Jim goes so visiting Gage and some of the other trailer stuff probably isn't in the plans.  Retirement isn't that far down the road and some of these trips can turn into month long roadtrips after the trailer is done.  I won't have to pay for motel rooms. :D
George

Grease Can

I wanna go...

It's me, Gracie... its been so long I couldn't remember how to get on here with my name name... so I had to re-sign up...

enjenjo

Carl says you are going, so I guess you are going :lol:  We should have everything finalized in the next few days, so everyone can start making plans.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"We should have everything finalized in the next few days, so everyone can start making plans.
Cool, I haven't booked my flights yet and was going to ask how the plans were coming.

Jim, according to the flight schedules, the best one for me gets to PHX at 9:25 on 6/14 but leaves PHX at 10:30AM on 6/21.  There are others so I'll wait to see what the event director comes up with for a schedule. :D
George