RRT 2005 California tour

Started by enjenjo, March 20, 2005, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I just got back and things are overwhelming at work but I took a minute to grab a couple of pictures to post from the Marcel Brother's shop.  I've got so many pictures from the week to sort thru that it will take a little time to get them posted somewhere.

The trip was just awesome.  There are not words to describe what this Midwesterner felt while being amidst so much rodding legends and motorsport history.  The personal shop tours, the time spent with friends (both new and old), riding in Don's roadster on an almost perfect 78 degree sunny day, so many different cars representing the full spectrum of rodding, watching a partially done shell of a 36 Ford 3 window fire the 500 Caddy engine for the first time then seeing the same car in the parking lot of the Roadster show 2 days later.......the list of memories goes on and on.  Oh yeah the food was great too... and all that rust free sheet metal everywhere you look.  My head is still spinning.  Thanks to everyone that I met and hung with.

George

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "purplepickup"I just got back and things are overwhelming at work but I took a minute to grab a couple of pictures to post from the Marcel Brother's shop.  

Thanks for the photos George.  Sure am jealous of that tour.  Sign me up for the next one, I should be retired by the next one and would expect to go. See ya at Louisville and Bonneville?
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Goodfoot

The tour information was super and really made the trip this year complete. I believe that we ran into several RRT members at the Justice Bros. Museum but there was a film on the TV that everyone seemed to be watching pretty intently and I didn't want to disturb anyone. I'm guessing that they were RRT people 'cause they were old farts and one had an RRT across the back of his T shirt. My pictures at MarCels didn't come out so it was great to find this on the forum. Maybe I'll run into y'all at Louisville in August. Thanks to all. John

hotrodbob

Just wanted to thank those that braved the wilds of Beautiful Burbank. We even had the traditional cop copter cruz by.

We got the engine in the Ranchero and my Son Scotty got it running Tuesday and we did cam run in and final set up today.and we even had exhibition runs by my son's rocket cars. Just like the 6 million dollar man they were breaking up on the move.

Pinewood Derby action was handled by Dr.J

Thanks to all that came over. See ya next year!!!!!!

Maybe we can add a rocket car class?
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the photos pptrk guy.....  :arrow:  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DrJ

Quote from: "hotrodbob"...we even had exhibition runs by my son's rocket cars. Just like the 6 million dollar man they were breaking up on the move.

Pinewood Derby action was handled by Dr.J

Thanks to all that came over. See ya next year!!!!!!

Maybe we can add a rocket car class?

Actually, I just set up the track, played promoter by getting people to "crew" the four extra cars I brought along and then had a lot of fun myself!
Jim Rivers from AZ was "flag man" doing all the actual starting work, and Scott, (along with the committee of everyone running,) was winner judge and "gravel pit"• stopping crew •(that's a bed sheet wadded up across the end of the track to sorta gently stop the cars)
My wife, again, was hiking in the local still snow capped mountains (can you figure, it being in the 80ºsƒ and just an hour's drive away and several thousand feet up there's still snow in So.Cal.?) but I brought along the two very fast cars she built several years ago.
Both of them and my two cars ended up being crewed by other people, who I wish I could remember the names of... :roll:

Bob had some neat prizes this year for the winning "crewpersons"    
A fellow Road Kings member (Bob's in the Road Kings) crewed the flat-black wasp shaped car my wife buil, after saying "Road Kings don't drive primered cars!.
I assured him it was "stealth flat black" and all was good...
I think he was joking anyway, as a response to me calling it a "ratrod" and it came in third in the final Eliminations and he got a BRAND NEW BASEBALL CAP!!!
Second place was a XXlarge Tshirt with advertizing all over it and it was won by Enjenjo's granddaughter crewing my "Polychrome Metalflake Steely Dan Car" Which she unwrapped and immediately put on because she came to the party in shorts and a t shirt and by 9PM was shivering, (shirt came down to her 11 year old knees!)
And the Top Eliminator prize of a NASCAR stadium seat foam cushion was won by a woman, (Neighbor of Bob's? Sorry I don't remember)  crewing my Wife's "GoGirrL" car that seems to again be the car to beat.
Several other really fast and good looking cars were entered and the difference between the winners and LOSERS was usually only fractions of an inch on the fast 38 foot long track, so this game will probably bring other winners next year if you guys decide to build and fine tune your cars. I know Gracie will be back with a contender.
It's all in the fine tuning, and has a lot to do with the handling of the car during the race, keeping the spectator slobber, grass and bird droppings of the wheels etc.  :wink:
We run two classes; One by the Cub Scout weight and dimension rules, and "unlimited" which includes the exhibition track singeing rocket cars.
Who's going to be next year's Top Eliminator?
I'm going to try and post a pic of the winning car...

Bob K

Hey Dr. J, didn't you bring the "purple * car" ???

We are planning for next year so I hope the car is still around and borrowable ( is that a word?).

B :lol: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

DrJ

Quote from: "Bob K"Hey Dr. J, didn't you bring the "purple ##### car" ???

Yea, that's the "Polychrome Metalflake Steely Dan Car".
Ask an Englishwoman what a Steely Dan is... :wink:

slocrow

Quote from: "DrJ"Ask an Englishwoman what a Steely Dan is... :wink:

Or a dirty old man!!!!!!
What's a sour pickle called?
What's a female deer called?
Am I close????????????????????? :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

DrJ

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "DrJ"Ask an Englishwoman what a Steely Dan is... :wink:

Or a dirty old man!!!!!!
What's a sour pickle called?
What's a female deer called?
Am I close????????????????????? :lol:

Yes,
I titled it that because this program censors "Dill doe"
Plus I called it that at the party because I didn't know how "worldly" ALL in attendace were!

purplepickup

I thought I'd post a picture of my racer.  It was on a little winning streak then crashed and broke a front axle loose....but like Arnold says..."I'll be back"  :twisted:

We had fun racing.  Thanks for having us over Bob.   :D

George

DrJ

Quote from: "purplepickup"I thought I'd post a picture of my racer.  It was on a little winning streak then crashed and broke a front axle loose....but like Arnold says..."I'll be back"  :twisted:

We had fun racing.  Thanks for having us over Bob.   :D

That is a very cool looking and fast car.
The early designs had about 3/8" dia. hardwood dowels for axles that were drilled for the metal pin axles, maybe that's an option to fix what's ailing that fine car?

river1

Quote from: "Goodfoot"The tour information was super and really made the trip this year complete. I believe that we ran into several RRT members at the Justice Bros. Museum but there was a film on the TV that everyone seemed to be watching pretty intently and I didn't want to disturb anyone. I'm guessing that they were RRT people 'cause they were old farts and one had an RRT across the back of his T shirt. My pictures at MarCels didn't come out so it was great to find this on the forum. Maybe I'll run into y'all at Louisville in August. Thanks to all. John

i remember when you came in. yup that was us. i remember thinkin "boy those fellas ain't going to get as good a tour as we got" you should have sat down and watched the video with us and introduced yourself after it was over.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Normspeed

hotrodbob, I'm a new member and I showed up for your shindig with my buddy, grandadeo. The Plymouth coupe in your carport stole my heart. The burgers were great.  Especially since grandadeo kept me running my poor old Mopar wagon from one end of the L.A. basin to the other all week, stopping only infrequently to cram down some street corner fast food. I really enjoyed the party. Also great meeting some of the folks and hooking up with Don's food and wrenches tour.  Although they didn't make the bbq, I'd be interested in getting in touch with Bob and Sylvia from the land down under. Nice folks.
Norm

purplepickup

Here's a few more random pictures....

The first breakfast at J&D's Country Cafe...the place with the HUGE omlettes :D

Ford vintage parts store

Indian on the hood of the car that tonto1 was riding in.

NHRA Museum

VERY nice Merc

Frank riding in Don's roadster

Ed Justice showing us around his museum

A car that was for sale for $13,500.  No dents, no rust, the flathead ran perfectly and it had a nice fresh interior and new tires.  A few of us wanted this one
George