A sad day for the ASRF

Started by choco, February 18, 2005, 07:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choco

For those of you who don't know, the Hot Rod Internet Bench Racing site (the primo Aussie rodders forum, a sprout of the RRT) has had its members threatened by legal action from none other than the National Director of the Australian Street Rod Federation. We have been having a robust discussion on ways to improve aspects of the ASRF, and our new director has taken offence to some of the things that we have said. Needless to say, the cowardly act of issuing writs against people making fair comment on an internet forum raises some serious concerns, especially when they are directed against the very people who employ this person! Not only that, but the guy who spends hours and hours of his own time and, more than likely, dollars out of his own pocket, to support the ASRF web site, an Aussie rodders forum and a card-carrying member himself, is the focus of the lawsuit.
Brothers and Sisters, this is a sad day for rodding, indeed! I have been a passionate supporter of the ASRF for as long as I have been in rodding, and that's a long time, but my loyalty has been shaken to its roots. I'm happy to debate issues with anyone, and I'm happy to agree to disagree, even compromise, when wrong decisions are made. But this recent attack is a low act. How the heck can someone sue someone else for making comments on an internet forum? Is this what we've been reduced to?

http://www.hot-rod.com.au/benchracing/index.php
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

HotRodLadyCrusr

Choco, I still having trouble believing what I'm reading.  Can that actually happen?    If this is sucessful all of the Internet Message boards are in trouble.   What can we do to help Greg?
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Ohio Blue Tip

Absolutely unforgivable and a sad state of affairs! :x   If that holds up, all of our bulletin boards could be in trouble.  Let us know if we can be of help from the top side.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

av8

The only discussion I found was the one about the survey, and didn't read anything that was written that I would consider actionable.  There was one page that wouldn't load, the third, I think -- maybe blocked now?  

No matter, it's a sad situation when open discussion on a public forum can be threatened in this manner. The action taken by the fellow at the top of the ASRF doesn't seem to be in the best interest of generating support for the federation.

rumrumm

Not finding anything objectionable in the thread, it makes me wonder what may have ruffled his feathers. What a fine representative of the hobby this bloke is. If he is elected, he should be recalled. If not, the organization should be boycotted. Utterly unforgivable no matter what someone may have said.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

rooster

Quote from: "rumrumm"Not finding anything objectionable in the thread, it makes me wonder what may have ruffled his feathers. What a fine representative of the hobby this bloke is. If he is elected, he should be recalled. If not, the organization should be boycotted. Utterly unforgivable no matter what someone may have said.

Sounds to me that he was hired and not elected. And not a Hot , Street, or Rat Rodder!  I assume someone had to hire him and that he now takes the role of enforcing ideas of who hired him. This is if he wants to keep his job!  

Mybe its time for members of that orignation to clean house.

Good Luck to your friends Far away!

unklian

Is this the new National Director ?
Trying to make a name for himself. :roll:

Of all the heated internet debates,
on all the boards I spend too much time at,
this is only the second time I've heard of someone threating court action.
And the first to send a letter from a Lawyer. :!:

If your Lawyers are anything like ours,they will send a letter to anyone about anything for a few bucks.It doesn't mean their arguement would hold up in Court,or that they are prepared to actually go to court.

Intimidation tactics. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

I would suggest talking to a Lawyer,
before rolling over and giving them what they want.

Fat Cat

It does seem a sad state. This was not exactly what I expected when I real the subject. It makes me mad to think that someone would pull such a low blow. A sad day indeed.

bcal

Yes Choco it is a sad day indeed.
And a sad day for democracy, free speech, and the internet.
BTW any of you freedom loving people want to sent this guy a message here's the ASRF's contact details.
http://www.asrf.org.au/contacts.htm

Mind you don't go gettin too personal or you'll get a nasty fax from some lawyers.
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.

Brootal

What's even sadder is that I'm on the 'list'... and I didn't even say anything! I've been too busy lately to follow the thread, especially at the rate it was growing.

I think my famousness and bigness has finally come back to bite me on the *!  :lol:

Sad day indeed... but don't worry Choco, I still love you man. :)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

bcal

Quote from: "Brootal"What's even sadder is that I'm on the 'list'... and I didn't even say anything!
I think it was the Croation President comment that may have done it.
His lawyers are after you too.
You might loose that purple 32 of yours if you're not careful  :wink:
Time flies when you\'re no longer young
Brett.

Pep

It's a mongrel act indeed.....I think there might be a vacancy soon in the ASRF  :x
See Ya
Pep

Brootal

Quote from: "bcal"
Quote from: "Brootal"What's even sadder is that I'm on the 'list'... and I didn't even say anything!
I think it was the Croation President comment that may have done it.
His lawyers are after you too.
You might loose that purple 32 of yours if you're not careful  :wink:

Didn't know stating a fact was against any laws. Just educating my fellow non-Balkan hot rodding mates on a little known piece of trivia.

Hugs & Kisses...
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

Poida

Careful, you blokes. Just because we are having this discussion in the land of the free doesn't mean we are untouchable.

BTW, I haven't said gidday to the rest of the RRT - sincere greetings to you, I am a new boy from Oz. I have been a long time lurker here, and this current bun fight has prompted me to join to also express my support for Greg.

p

Crosley.In.AZ

seems like a load of crap for this action against an internet board
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)