Which glass '32 roadster body should I buy?

Started by MattM, February 14, 2005, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattM

I have built many street rods from '50s and '60s cars and am now ready to build something with all new parts.

I would like any insights anybody can give regarding the quality of these bodies in the $5k to $6k range.  I know about the features, but not sure of the quality (how much bodywork will be required to make them nice).

Downs, Rats Glass, Russ Nomore, Lone Star?  Any others?

Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dave

Quote from: "MattM"I have built many street rods from '50s and '60s cars and am now ready to build something with all new parts.

I would like any insights anybody can give regarding the quality of these bodies in the $5k to $6k range.  I know about the features, but not sure of the quality (how much bodywork will be required to make them nice).

Downs, Rats Glass, Russ Nomore, Lone Star?  Any others?

Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ive got a american street rod design 3 window body that I really like.
Remember that all glass bodys need work as in blocking and filling before paint.
The things I like about my body is.. Double firewall with foam core and the floor is the same way. Things I dislike.. The hinges but they will work all the work smoothing out the bonding seams in side the doors and trunk.
Oh ya this body is a harwood copy so you could mount the engine higher than a normal glass body.
I got mine thru street rods by michael
www.srbymichael.com
He is showing on his site now a body of his own but i think its the asd body
Dave

Beck

I like the Rats Glass. I have a 3 window in the garage now that is (was) under construction. They all take some body work, some take more.
Beck

kb426

I think the Kilbourne is the best for the money. Not perfect but way less than lots of the others on the market. There are several in my part of the country and they all seem to be lasting fine.
TEAM SMART

Bib_Overalls

I got mine from Show Me Rod and Custom http://www.showmerodandcustom.com/  .  I was pleased with the quality and the price is competitive.  I would by another one.  Doug White, the owner, is a straight shooter.  

At one time the American Street Rod design roadster body did not have an eyebrow on the cowl.  You could not run a stock style windshield.  DuVal(sp?) only.  Rats Glass has a rolled pan that interferes with the stock style gas tank. I don't know anything first hand about the others.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Topsterguy

Quote from: "kb426"I think the Kilbourne is the best for the money. Not perfect but way less than lots of the others on the market. There are several in my part of the country and they all seem to be lasting fine.

Something to keep in mind on the Kilbourne body - for some unknown reason they make them 2" narrower than the rest, and down the road when you decide to do the interior or put a top on it you might have problems. I've sold a few Topsters to guys that have them out east and we had to narrow the frames a full 2". A few of their other cockpit measurements were diferent too.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

I built my roadster 8 years ago and the body today is as good as it was when I got it from Wescott's. When I was pricing bodies I asked the owner of the hot rod shop here the diference between a Gibbon and a Wescott. He said there's about $2000 between the two (Wescott being more expensive) but if you put $2000 into a Gibbon you still won't have a Wescott! He said if you're building a keeper get the Wescott, if you're going to sell it get the Gibbon. Same old thing......you get what you pay for! :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Charlie Chops 1940

So, when you go to Kilbourne to buy their body do they even mention that they've made it narrower? I wonder what their selling points are?

I would tend to agree that Wescott has the best glass roadster body. I've had my hands involved in more than one Downs body and wouldn't go across the street for one.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Roadstar

You do get what you pay for with all the glass bodys. Wescott is the best of the best but you pay for it.

Outlaw have a very nice product. Kilborn seems to be the best in there price range.

I did the bodywork on the last Harwood 32 roadster and I was not in the least impressed.

One tip I have for painting all glass bodys I have learned over the years. And this is especially important on the lower cost ones.

I used to block the gel coat with 80 to flatten the body out real nice while I was knocking down all the seams that are left from the manufacturing prosses. But I found I was having a pourosity problem due to the gelcoat not being thick enough in some areas and the mat not getting into the corners and tight areas well. Also the gel coat would be paper thin in some places and you wouldnt know it until you found a air pocket and you would get a soft spot and then a hole.

So now I will jsut knock down the mold seams and buzz over the raw gel coat with a da and some 80 to rough it up good and pile on the high build primer and comcentrat on blocking that to get the the body straight. Of course there will be areas to fill with some filler to get straight, and even some of the panels out with each other.

But the point here is to be carfull not to get the original gel coat too thin.

kb426

I was unaware that the Kilbourne was narrower. No one that I've been around has said anything. I agree that the Wescott is the best. The metal inside is crude bot the rest makes up for it. Most people cover the frame work anyway. I going to call Kilbourne in the next week or so and see what they say.
TEAM SMART

47convert

You really should check these guys out before you buy. I have one of their 34 coupes and I am impressed. Good quality and reasonable prices. They don't use much steel re-inforcements though, but Gibbon has been doing them that way for years and they have a good rep too. I plan on putting in a roll bar and a cowl hoop anyhow. http://www.acautos.com/32roadster.php
This website has a place for customers of various suppliers to rate the business they dealt with and A&C seems to have a good rep.   http://hotrodders.com/cgibin/rls/magpie/do/display.cgi?product-sku=00162&find-lower-limit=1&icon-status=

timkins

I also had a "show me rod and custom" bodied 32 roadster. With the extra 2" in the seat area it was a pleasure to drive for any long distances. I had more room between my belly and the steering wheel.

HotRodLadyCrusr

So Matt, it's been a couple of days with a ton of info given by quite a few guys here.  What's your thoughts??
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

nzsimon

Give me enough money and I will give you mine
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

alchevy

Ya'll are talking about fiberglass 32's, has anyone checked into the new steel ones being made? Thought it was interesting about the price difference between the steel '31 Ford and the '32 Ford, about $5,000. A friend of mine looked at the ones at Louisville one year and said that they were pretty rough.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com