Which glass '32 roadster body should I buy?

Started by MattM, February 14, 2005, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

There are basically 4 steel '32's available now, well, 5 if you count Henrys... and actually 1 of the 4 new ones is really a convertible. They are Rod Bods, Brookville, the Swedish bodies that Dave at Roadsters.com brings in and the convertible from Real Steel.

I haven't seen one of the Swedish bodies up close so I can't report on them. The couple samples of the Rod Bods that I've seen were a little roughish in the seams, but that's been 3 or 4 years ago. I have a Brookville body that I bought 3 years ago, and I think it is pretty close dimensionally but I have fit the body to a frame or started the build. The Real Steel bodies I saw on display last year looked good with roll up windows and a retractable top but are pricey, even when compared to the Brookville.

I'm NOT a '32 Ford roadster expert by any means. I've been told that all the repops miss the mark in one way or another but I don't really give a rip. I wanted a steel car and knew I was never going to be able to start with a Henry body.  The price differential between, say a Wescott glass body and  a steel body was such that I wanted to go there. I've done a lot of glass bodies between Vettes 35 years ago and a string of glass cars I built for others and don't have problems with them.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choices.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

alchevy

Is the Brookville the same as the Dearborn Duece?
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Charlie Chops 1940

Dearborn Duece and Real Steel are the same to me - don't know where I got that from. The Dearborn Duece roadster is really a convertible in that the top hides and it has windows in the doors. All the other steel bodies are roadsters; that is, no door glass.

Most believe the Brookville  roadster body is the closest to original...

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Dearborn Duece and Real Steel are the same to me - don't know where I got that from. The Dearborn Duece roadster is really a convertible in that the top hides and it has windows in the doors. All the other steel bodies are roadsters; that is, no door glass.

Most believe the Brookville  roadster body is the closest to original...

Charlie

So you think Brookville is best, and what brand are you building, oh ya, you have a Brookie!
Remember "Steel is Real" but "Tupperware is Tops".
Ken sez so!
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Beck

QuoteSomething to keep in mind on the Kilbourne body - for some unknown reason they make them 2" narrower than the rest, and down the road when you decide to do the interior or put a top on it you might have problems. I've sold a few Topsters to guys that have them out east and we had to narrow the frames a full 2". A few of their other cockpit measurements were diferent too.

I don't understand how they got that narrow, but here is how it happens. When fiberglass cures it shrinks. Henry built the first body the right size, then somebody coppied it in glass. It shrank a little. Then somebody coppied the glass body. It shrank more. Then the copy of the copy got coppied. More shrinkage. You get the picture. Every time someone pops a mold off of somone elses copy it gets smaller. If you were going to make a mold would you spend the high dollar for a steel car to take apart. Then you have to modify that original steel car to make it so the mold will release from it. Or would you go out and buy someone elses glass body (they did all the work getting it ready to mold). Now you don't have to take it apart and just copy the copy.
There is a steel '32 Cabrolet that is in the slow process of being coppied in my area. The project started this summer, but is currently on hold.  I hope the project continues to completion, but that is difficult when there are a lot of irons in the fire. Knowing the guy in charge of the glass work, it will be a super car just like Henry built. It will look like a genuine body, without mods.
Beck

32coupe

Talking about glass 32 bodies, have you guys heard about "Deuce Customs" here in OZ, a guy called Ken Brownlee makes the nicest bodies I have ever seen, but I am prejudice, you see I just built one.

He is currently building bodies for Boyd Coddington and shipping them to the states.

His steelout work is second to none, and the gelcoat finish is near perfect.
The door gaps are perfect, and the hinges have no adjustment, they are that good. Trust me if you are looking for a glass body try to find a distributor on your side of the world.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

X38

32coupe, GMT in Huntington Beach sell 'em.

I don't think our American friends are overly familiar with the expression "steelout." In our neck of the woods (ha ha) wood is universally replaced with steel in bodies. And any repro manufacturer uses a full steel tube inner structure.

That is not to say we turn woodies into steelies.

I think we got that...?

X38

32coupe, GMT in Huntington Beach sell 'em.

I don't think our American friends are overly familiar with the expression "steelout." In our neck of the woods (ha ha) wood is universally replaced with steel in bodies. And any repro manufacturer uses a full steel tube inner structure.

That is not to say we turn woodies into steelies.

I think we got that...?

Bib_Overalls

Limeworks in Huntington Beach is the US distributor for the Aussie made glass bodies http://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

X38

Hate to rain on your parade Bib, but they ain't the Deuce Customs bodies.  Deuce Customs are better. I know where the  Limeworks ones come from (yes, it is Australia). But due to recent experiences I'm not sayin' who it is.

Someone else can.

Just my opinion of course.

www.gmtmetal.com     Try that.

halfdone

I'll third that opinion

When I was working in California in 2000/2001 I checked out most of the major US tuperware bodies at Pleasanton, Pomona etc

I thought they weren't up to the standard of the Deuce Custom bodies (GMT are mow agent)

I was at Bakersfield when an Oregon rodder stoped by on the way home from picking up a Deuce Customs body from LA......the crowd was ten deep looking at it

Everyone said it was the best glass they had seen at any price

But I AM biased, being an HRI refugee

try www.deucecustoms.com.au

Some stuff on how he makes his 32 Roadster

X38

And that totally  aaawwwwwsome 32 roadster (ie mine) posted by Brootal under "HRI refugees" is a Deuce Customs body.

BTW I didn't have a bad experience with the bodies or maker of the bodies sold by Limeworks, it was another "body" ie human. Which is why I'm here.

Thanks for the links!! The 32 bodies look great from Duece Customs but that 36 Roadster is AWESOME!! Has anyone seen one of the 36's finished?? Is there a dealer in the US stocking the 36 that anyone is aware of?I just might have to have one of those :lol:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "40"Thanks for the links!! The 32 bodies look great from Duece Customs but that 36 Roadster is AWESOME!! Has anyone seen one of the 36's finished?? Is there a dealer in the US stocking the 36 that anyone is aware of?I just might have to have one of those :lol:

And they have the llittle known (in the US that is) * seat option. Some might like that.....

Charlie

A Hooligan!

X38

40, talk to GMT. They are the agent. Yes the 36 IS good. Have shots of finished ones, I'll try to dredge some up to post.

Long and short tail versions available. Short tail has extra interior room, can have back seat.