Are you making your B'ville plans.....

Started by 1FATGMC, January 11, 2005, 04:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: "BELLM"
Any good tips for first timers?  
I got a pair of wrap-around sunglasses from when they did eye surgery on my father.  The side shields really make a difference.  Two years ago I had a headache after about 2 hours, last year I went all day without ever getting one because of the better sunglasses.  They even fit over my regular glasses.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Leon"
Quote from: "BELLM"
Any good tips for first timers?  
I got a pair of wrap-around sunglasses from when they did eye surgery on my father.  The side shields really make a difference.  Two years ago I had a headache after about 2 hours, last year I went all day without ever getting one because of the better sunglasses.  They even fit over my regular glasses.

I went to the local welding supply shop before we left last year and I bought 2 pair of the special glasses they sell for welding shops.  I broke the second pair on the second day on the salt.  I bought a pair of the glasses they sell out on the salt and what a differece.  The special glasses allow plenty of light in but keep the irritating rays from blinding you.  It made the remaining days on the salt more comfortable.  They were expensive but worth the money.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I bought a pair of the glasses they sell out on the salt and what a differece.  The special glasses allow plenty of light in but keep the irritating rays from blinding you.  It made the remaining days on the salt more comfortable.  They were expensive but worth the money.

I'm with John.  If you need sun glasses you can't beat the ones they sell out there on the salt.  I bought some of the amber clip-ons a couple years ago from the vendor out there and what a difference they made.  Like john says things are brigher, yet you can just feel your eyes relax.  The gal explained to me why they work so well, but I forgot  :( .

I think they were $12-$15, but well worth it.  I never wear sunglasses the rest of the year and the first time I went out on the salt I didn't have any.  Within about 30 minutes I had to drive back into town and get some.

c ya, Sum

Dusty

To all Newbies (Salt Virgins)

The sun glasses everyone is referring to is the "Blue Blockers" you have seen advertised on TV....You can get them other places besides the vendors at the Salt Flats, so you may find them cheaper elsewhere.  They work like magic on the Salt.  
Get the Sun Blocker above 40 or 60, and remember to apply several times a day.  Once as soon as you get there, and then about every 2-3 hours.  And drink lots of liquid.  The humidity out there is about 3-10%, and when you sweat, them little Humids are there to suck it up.  You won't know you are sweating, but you will be loosing body fluid, just standing and talking in the shade.

Remember to wash your vehicle when you leave the Salt,  the last time.  There is a carwash in Wendover behind the supermarket, on the west side of town. You can wash your vehicle good there especially the underside.  

If you don't run through rain on your trip home, hook up a lawn sprinkler under your car when you get home.  You will be surprised at what falls out from under your vehicle.

"DUSTY"
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

OFOF

Great tips from all.  Just to add one thing to Dusty's suggestions, don't park your car on the lawn when you run the sprinkler under it.  I guarantee that your lawn will thank you.  
Don.
Don Palfreyman

OFOF

Just in case any of you might be interested the Goodguys will have a cruise from Pomona to Wendover the first weekend of Speedweek.  They will probably arrive on Sunday, spend Monday on the salt, and then head for middle Idaho Tuesday on the way to the GG event in Spokane.  On Sunday of that event the group will head for the Pacific coast and cruise all week to the GG event in Pleasanton.  I did this last year and had a blast.  It rained the whole time we were on the coast but at least it wasn't hot :?
Don.
Don Palfreyman

sirstude

Tony,

I was out on the LSR website and found the answer to your pit vehicle question.  Go to http://www.fluidimages.co.uk/ and look at his Bonneville pictures.  You will see just what you need.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

_Drewfus_

With bells on...

First time out of Australia, fly into LA Aug. 5th, then after a few days will travel north via Vegas to be at wendover by the friday,

Stay till tuesday (or wednesday) and then back towards S.F. to be at Pleasanton G.G. event, then down to Bakersfield.......

All up, 1 month on the road....And looking forward to every second of it...

If ya see me, slap me about the head and say g'day.....

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

kroozn

I reckon if your going to be here in Lost Wages you should stop by and say "howdy".  :D

I give free sanding lessons to all visitors too!
:lol:  :lol:
Carl

1FATGMC

Quote from: "_Drewfus_"With bells on...

First time out of Australia, fly into LA Aug. 5th, then after a few days will travel north via Vegas to be at wendover by the friday,

Cheers,

Drewfus

If you get into L.A. on the 5th you can run up to Vegas. Loose some money and then your finger tips sanding with Carl (well actually you will be sanding and Carl will be watching  :wink: ).

Then take the beautiful one day Southwest tour over to southeast Utah through Zion National Park and by Page, Arizona and then up to Blanding, Utah.  

Meet up with our bunch on Tuesday night (Aug. 9th) for a good time here and on the way to the salt.  I'll guarantee that the stop at Bo Huff's will be one of the highlights of your trip to the states :D .

We would be glad to have you, and it would be better for your health to be over here in Utah than driving around in all of that L.A. traffic and conjestion.

Sum

HotRodLadyCrusr

Drewfus, and if you wanna run around the southwest topless you can always hitch a ride in Big Olds with me  :wink:   Looking forward to finally meeting you in person.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

kroozn

If you get into L.A. on the 5th you can run up to Vegas. Loose some money and then your finger tips sanding with Carl (well actually you will be sanding and Carl will be watching  :wink: ).  

Sum, how am I ever going to get free help from the tourists if you keep warning them?  :lol:  :lol:

river1

i'll second what sumner said. the stop in vegas is a MUST but the drive to bonniville from there is a bit barren and unsenic (is that a word). now the area around blanding is stunning and if you time it right you can even swing by and check out the grand canyon.

see you on the salt if not in blanding

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carps

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Well after discussing our summers plans for a couple of weeks now, Roadstar and I decided to head west in August and do L'ville, CO, Blanding, B'ville, then the Grand Canyon and the HAMB Drags on the way home.
Cool, so will you be following us back to mike's place after the nat's and then cruising cross country with us?

I'll make sure the cat stays at his own house. :wink:

QuoteI'm really looking forward to spending the time with everyone again...
Betcha not looking forward to it as much as i am.  :D

Quote... seeing the site of the southwest and feeling the salt under the tires of Big Olds again.  Can't wait to see the look on Bo Huffs face when he sees Big Olds "customized" and painted.
Mine too, where the foters?

Does this mean I hafta get a new "Big Olds' T shirt?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "kroozn"Burly won't do puters so I will pass the info along via land line.
heck, he's stubborn bugger, we discussed this topic back in '98 aand again in 201 and he still hasn't got with the program?  I guess he's spent way too much time playing with cars that have the engine in the rong end and no radiator, to be in touch with reality and the 21st century.

And yes, you can quote me on that.  Heck, I'll quote myself when I get there.

QuoteExpect to see some even more unusual than normal going ons at the Bend In the Road for 2005!  :D  :D  
What could possibly be more "unusual" than the Mickey Ellis Pyromaniac's Convention and Show?   :shock:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.